Does using a dash cam affect gas mileage?

Marc

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking of getting a Mobius as my first dash cam. Before buying, I had a question: what impact does having a dash cam plugged in all the time have on miles per gallon? Will I be having to buy gas more often due to the fact that I am using a dash cam?

Unless you plan on mounting it outside your car I think you will be okay.

Are you for real. Does having the radio or your lights on affect your fuel consumption.
I didn't be the one to say it, but that's where i was leading to.

I was thinking of getting a Mobius as my first dash cam. Before buying, I had a question: what impact does having a dash cam plugged in all the time have on miles per gallon? Will I be having to buy gas more often due to the fact that I am using a dash cam?
If you were to keep all electronic devices off in your car, then your alternator would have no load and freewheel. The question is what, if any effect does using things like radio, lights or in this case a USB dash cam have on gas mileage or in other words what extra load does it have on an alternator.

I would say that even if the argument was true that that it does put extra load, things such as rear window defroster, lights, AC, quick starts and stops would have more effect on gas mileage. The Mobius draws a mere 5 volts and under 1 amp so the extra draw and effect on the alternator would be minimal if any and therefore the effect on gas mileage would be neglible.

@Grimm recorded the draw of the Mobius at different stages (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-not-turning-on-with-car-ignition-volts-amps-study.4819/)

Another option would be to run the Mobius via a USB battery pack if you were still concerned. A $30 pack could run the Mobius for 8 hours+

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I'm on a reality television show and definitely drive safer with a DashCam recording. This May or may not result in gas mileage savings. (Less lead in the foot)

Why if something should happen the card disappears doesnt it till you have a look and see who was at fault.

A sensible driver would already be doing the right thing and shouldnt need the illconceived idea of having a camera in the car to make you drive properly.

God help us if you leave it at home.

I'm a good driver, I never said I was evil Knievel minus the DashCam haha. I'm just saying having a camera recoding somehow taps into the subconscious autopilot part of your brain in a good way.

I'm a good driver, I never said I was evil Knievel minus the DashCam haha. I'm just saying having a camera recoding somehow taps into the subconscious autopilot part of your brain in a good way.

Everyone is a good driver in their own mind. Even the old lady across the road who cant reverse park LOL

No speeding tickets or accidents here. All those years of video game reflexes have been put to good use avoiding other drivers overs the years though.

No speeding tickets or accidents here. All those years of video game reflexes have been put to good use avoiding other drivers overs the years though.

Its that smart car. They're good cars, you rub them on the carpet and they'll go. :p

With or without a dash cam I always drive as fast as I can to save gas. I figure the less time I spend getting from place to place, the less gas I use, right? :confused:

Its that smart car. They're good cars, you rub them on the carpet and they'll go. :p

Not quite but yes I don't want to speed in my Smart Car. That's another good point. When I bought it I never thought of move out of the city or drive/commute much. It's crazy how much has changed since then starting a DashCam ecommerce business. I'll get something bigger/safer with the help of new customers in the future. (No rush, I enjoy not having a car payment and low gas millage). It's a fun lil convertible. (Limited Brabus edition with Mercedes emblems)

Not quite but yes I don't want to speed in my Smart Car. That's another good point. When I bought it I never thought of move out of the city or drive/commute much. It's crazy how much has changed since then starting a DashCam ecommerce business. I'll get something bigger/safer with the help of new customers in the future. (No rush, I enjoy not having a car payment and low gas millage). It's a fun lil convertible. (Limited Brabus edition with Mercedes emblems)

A Brabus Smart Car? I love the idea!

With or without a dash cam I always drive as fast as I can to save gas. I figure the less time I spend getting from place to place, the less gas I use, right? :confused:
And that way when it runs out of gas, it will still be rolling. Good thinking

You must be the guy who passed me on my recent trip to the USA Was going so fast he had his wheels retracted LOL Must have been doing over 100 when he passed me.

Wasnt going so fast about 10 miles later when he was talking to a nice State Trooper in an old Crown Victoria. ROFLMAO

WOW how quickly this thread changes gears...

I think the op is a troll.

LOL hey op, awesome name, even down to the spelling!

Uhh, as long as you have plenty of blinker fluid you will not experience any loss in MPG.

14543d1390507778-k-n-airfilter-blinker-fluid.jpg

Back