Does Viofo g-Sensor Work With Low Bitrate Parking Mode?

StrayCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since the Viofo g-sensor does not work with "Buffered Parking Mode", a Viofo user has suggested using "Low Bitrate Parking Mode" to get the g-sensor to work. - - For someone contemplating the purchase of an A129 or for those who already purchased the A129 thinking they would be able to use the g-sensor in "Parking Mode", this is important information.

For those who are new to dash cams or specifically to the Viofo A129, it's good to know why a functioning g-sensor is important. In theory, if someone impacts/bumps your car such that, with the sensitivity setting you have selected, the g-sensor gets triggered, a video will be taken (15 seconds prior to impact and 30-45 seconds after impact). So, if someone bumps your car while parked, whether it be in camera view or not, your camera will do 2 things:
  1. Take video before, during and after the event (per above)
  2. Lock the video file in the RO file (Read Only File) so it doesn't inadvertently get recorded-over

If the above 2 things do not occur, whether it be in "buffered parking mode" (which clearly does not work now) or in "Low-Bitrate Parking Mode", then the A129 user must manually do 2 things.
  1. If visible damage was done, detect the damage, whether that's the same day or 4 days later
  2. Sift through hours and potentially days of video clips looking for video of the incident

Since Viofo is fully aware that the g-sensor does not work in "Buffered Parking Mode", one would think that someone from their Company would offer the "official work-around" to this problem, if there is indeed a work-around. - - Of course that has not happened!

So, for the benefit of "prospective and existing A129 customers", perhaps you could share your experience: Is using "Low Bitrate Parking Mode" a good work-around to getting the g-sensor to work in "parking mode" with the A129?

Last edited:
In my car the g-sensor will lock files in low bitrate parking mode. Will the g-sensor trigger if someone were to open their door into my car? Probably not, unless they did so with a lot of force.

Thanks for your reply CaptureYourAction.

I just checked low bit-rate mode parking on my car. I vigorously pushed the rear of my car up and down 20 times. - - I might add that I'm north of 200 pounds (91 kilograms); that did not make any difference at all compared to buffered parking mode. The g-sensor still did not go off.

I also slammed my driver's side door,which I never ever do, and that did not trigger the g-sensor either. Incidentally, the sensitivity setting for my g-sensor was "high" .

It would be good to get input from other users as to what their experience has been using low bit-rate parking mode.

Yes, when I'm driving it goes off frequently enough... the occasional potholes or minor bumps in the road. I believe I have it on "low sensitivity" during driving mode.

edit: I just checked and found that I have there g-sensor set to "high sensitivity" in both parking and driving modes.

Last edited:
they would ride pretty well, I wouldn't have expected the G-Sensor to trigger driving over potholes

hmmm.... well, occasionally in high setting, I hear the 3 beeps, signaling a g-sensor event. One particular lane on a stretch of freeway that I drive on frequently is in pretty bad shape because big commercial trucks drive on it a lot on the way to L.A . Normally I stay out of that lane because it's not pleasant to drive in.

But anyway, the g-sensor definitely works for me in driving mode... of course many people have commented that g-sensor in driving mode is a total unnecessary feature. If one gets in an accident, one is going to go to the video right away and won't need a reminder in the RO file.

Presently, I cannot get the g-sensor to work in buffered parking mode or low-bitrate parking mode... when you're parked is exactly when that feature is important.

Probably useful for people to post their firmware version as well

Doesn't seem to make any difference for me with v1.9 firmware, set in high sensitivity. Goes off over speed bumps while driving with medium sensitivity though so I have driving set to low. Tested by slamming door nearest the camera.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I have firmware version 1.9 and my car is a 2016 Toyota Corolla hatch.

I have tested the parking g-sensor on HIGH setting in low bitrate parking mode. No events were triggered no matter what I did...slamming the doors, bouncing the car up and down, hitting the windshield with my open hand, nothing worked. The ONLY thing that worked was when I tapped the dash cam on it's side several times with my fingers.

I have the driving g-sensor set to medium and I know it works while driving, I tested it on high setting and it would trigger an event every time I drove over speed humps, pot holes and rough roads. Now that I have set it to medium, I only get events triggered if I drive over uneven railway crossings which would be once or twice a week

hmmm.... well, occasionally in high setting, I hear the 3 beeps, signaling a g-sensor event. One particular lane on a stretch of freeway that I drive on frequently is in pretty bad shape because big commercial trucks drive on it a lot on the way to L.A . Normally I stay out of that lane because it's not pleasant to drive in.

But anyway, the g-sensor definitely works for me in driving mode... of course many people have commented that g-sensor in driving mode is a total unnecessary feature. If one gets in an accident, one is going to go to the video right away and won't need a reminder in the RO file.

Presently, I cannot get the g-sensor to work in buffered parking mode or low-bitrate parking mode... when you're parked is exactly when that feature is important.
Does it trigger if you put the camera in parking mode and then drive it over your "One particular lane on a stretch of freeway"?

You would need to have the HK3 and disconnect the Acc input while driving to do that, and even then I'm not sure that would work with the older mounts.

Does it trigger if you put the camera in parking mode and then drive it over your "One particular lane on a stretch of freeway"?

You would need to have the HK3 and disconnect the Acc input while driving to do that, and even then I'm not sure that would work with the older mounts.

This is the first time I have heard someone suggest driving with parking mode on! I only have at my disposal what viofo provided me with two months ago. Are you aware of anyone else doing what you have suggested and making a difference? Have you tried it yourself?

This is the first time I have heard someone suggest driving with parking mode on! I only have at my disposal what viofo provided me with two months ago. Are you aware of anyone else doing what you have suggested and making a difference? Have you tried it yourself?
I was only suggesting it as a test to find out if the g-sensor does detect real impacts in parking mode!
I don't expect it to detect a bit of shaking, only real impacts.

I was only suggesting it as a test to find out if the g-sensor does detect real impacts in parking mode!
I don't expect it to detect a bit of shaking, only real impacts.

Well, since you said it will not work with an older mount, there's no use in me attempting this experiment.

By the way, I don't just do a "little bit of shaking" when I attempt to make my g-sensor go off; I aggressively move the car up and down like an 800 pound gorilla 20 times...if that kind of movement does not cause the g-sensor to activate, what's the use in having it?

And while I certainly do appreciate you trying to help, I believe you are the person who suggested using the low bit-rate parking mode to make the g-sensor work; that of course does not work.

Back