DOME lead Dashcam 4K times!

Yes, you got it.

Why does the A9 have twice the pixels of the A12? They appear to be out of order...

I think I prefer the 2560x1080 resolution to 2560x1440 since you can fit more on the memory card, a 64GB memory card only lasts me 5 hours at 2560x1080 and those high altitude meteors are hard to get a sharp image of anyway. At real 4K the same card is only going to last 2 hours unless you heavily compress the video! Cheap 512GB cards are still years away since they will need a change in technology to 3D NAND before it will be possible to fit it all on a microSD card and that means upgrading all the factories.

Real 4k will need large card support and H.265, its coming, memory prices will fall over time I'm sure

That said though numbers aren't everything and good quality 1080p is still going to have its place for some time, first, biggest, highest etc means little if not done well

That said though numbers aren't everything and good quality 1080p is still going to have its place for some time, first, biggest, highest etc means little if not done well

Agree. I still prefer Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. Rather it has decent bitrate, brightness, clarity and colour rendition, than 4K video with dark murky picture.

Shorter shutter times and better handling of compression between keyframes are needed for that, not higher resolution, unfortunately.

Shorter shutter times and better handling of compression between keyframes are needed for that, not higher resolution, unfortunately.
Yeah, no improvement on pixel width at 2560 which is same as in G90 7S including fps.
It'd be nice if it could do 2560 @ 60fps. ;)
So is the only difference between A7LA70 and A12 is vertical pixel?

Is anyone doing A9 full 4k cameras yet?

It sounds like Ambarella are pushing the quad HD A12 for wearable devices too (they also have a police version which would have to be ultra stable to get the foot in the door there):

http://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/A12W-Product-Brief.pdf

The A12 has a really quick boot up time from powered off to recording video (ie <1 second) so it will be interesting to see if they've improved motion detection at all.

I think even 2K some time is too much for me, 4K would be waste of memory card space at present time. All those super-resolutions are useless without a good CMOS sensor, high Quality lens and stable firmware.

It sounds like Ambarella are pushing the quad HD A12 for wearable devices too (they also have a police version which would have to be ultra stable to get the foot in the door there):

http://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/A12W-Product-Brief.pdf

The A12 has a really quick boot up time from powered off to recording video (ie <1 second) so it will be interesting to see if they've improved motion detection at all.
Those wearable ones have low power consumption - good for parking mode.

Would be nice to be able to do 2560x1080 at 45fps or maybe 60fps, with low compression the frame rate at that resolution can become very noticeable at 30fps when there is a lot of movement.

Please use a metal lens holder and metal lenses so it doesn't have the focus issues in heat that the G90 had and the G5WA now has - your customers will thank you later :)

if I understand correctly, raw video files yet no?

any news when is this A12 camera release and where to purchase?

I've just got a Samsung Galaxy S6 due which will be my first taste of 4K video so I'm looking forward to seeing this new wave of devices :)

Back