DOME lead Dashcam 4K times!

While I do enjoy hanging out at Quark's, I'm only there to play darts, watch people lose it all playing Dabo, and occasionally visit a holo-suite. :D

and yes, i can use wikipedia, too. that's where i ended up when i checked myself and did a quick edit to say that it's just not affordable yet.

I actually first heard about this stuff years ago in the media but anyway the Wiki article doesn't actually mention the cost or the new cheaper breakthrough. It was all 'sposed to be about humor right? ;)

You've obviously been drinking way too much Romulan ale, otherwise you would know that Transparent Aluminum is real! :p Called aluminium oxynitride, it has optical properties like glass, is 4 times harder than fused silica glass, 85% as hard as sapphire and can be fabricated into transparent windows, plates, domes, rods, tubes and other shapes. It is marketed under the brand name ALON and is used as bulletproof glass, armor and in making certain types of specialty lenses. You might be right about the affordability part but transparent aluminum dash cam lenses are very small. Take two! :)

View attachment 16414
That is not what was used in Star Trek, we know that because it is much denser than the description given by Scotty.

Sapphire occurs naturally and is another form of transparent aluminium which is used for lenses, but that is even more dense.

That is not what was used in Star Trek, we know that because it is much denser than the description given by Scotty.

Sapphire occurs naturally and is another form of transparent aluminium which is used for lenses, but that is even more dense.
yes, i was surprised to see how chemically similar "transparent aluminum" and sapphire are. obviously one atom can make a huge difference - look at O2 (oxygen) vs O3 (ozone). but it just seems funny to think of a gem as a metal, or a metal as a crystal. then again, i've heard glass described as a "plastic" before as well, and in a lot of ways, it does fit the description.

Nigel, NOBODY has suggested or in any way believes that the fictional substance known as “Transparent Aluminum” from the 1986 Star Trek movie really exists even if aluminum oxynitride or synthetic spinels do share or mimic some of its alleged properties. Please try to keep in mind that this discussion started out as a joke by @Gibson99 regarding @reverend's use of the term "metal lenses". It is why we have those little emoticons to clarify our remarks and why I used "this one-:p" after stating that the stuff is "real", as did Gibson in his remarks.

Last edited:
yes, i was surprised to see how chemically similar "transparent aluminum" and sapphire are. obviously one atom can make a huge difference - look at O2 (oxygen) vs O3 (ozone). but it just seems funny to think of a gem as a metal, or a metal as a crystal. then again, i've heard glass described as a "plastic" before as well, and in a lot of ways, it does fit the description.

And ceramics too, which is what aluminium oxynitride is.

Speaking of sapphire, the US Navy has devised a new way to making synthetic spinels which will lower the cost of making the stuff practical for more mundane uses than military armor. They mention such things as "a camera lens that doesn't get scratched in a sand storm" in this article about it. A "transparent aluminum" :p dash cam lens that could be mounted on the exterior of a vehicle would be pretty cool.

And ceramics too, which is what aluminium oxynitride is.

Speaking of sapphire, the US Navy has devised a new way to making synthetic spinels which will lower the cost of making the stuff practical for more mundane uses than military armor. They mention such things as "a camera lens that doesn't get scratched in a sand storm" in this article about it. A "transparent aluminum" :p dash cam lens that could be mounted on the exterior of a vehicle would be pretty cool.
sure, but you'd still have to deal with bugs and rain and dirt. bleh. if one could be integrated into the package on the glass for rain sensors and stuff, that would probably be ideal. eliminate dash reflections and keep the lens sealed away and clean, so you only ever have to clean the exterior of the glass like normal.

and speaking of rain, i just noticed last week that the factory backup camera in our highlander is pretty much useless in the rain, because water just clings to the lens and washes out the entire picture. you don't realize how dependent you become on it till it's not there for you. it's REALLY handy for parallel parking! also - how sad is it that you can buy a car and it takes almost 3 months to actually get any rain and notice something like this? :rolleyes:

sure, but you'd still have to deal with bugs and rain and dirt. bleh. if one could be integrated into the package on the glass for rain sensors and stuff, that would probably be ideal. eliminate dash reflections and keep the lens sealed away and clean, so you only ever have to clean the exterior of the glass like normal.

and speaking of rain, i just noticed last week that the factory backup camera in our highlander is pretty much useless in the rain, because water just clings to the lens and washes out the entire picture. you don't realize how dependent you become on it till it's not there for you. it's REALLY handy for parallel parking! also - how sad is it that you can buy a car and it takes almost 3 months to actually get any rain and notice something like this? :rolleyes:

The problem of water-droplets, dirt and bugs on exterior mounted lenses looks to be something that may soon no longer be an issue with the use of hydrophobic coatings. Hydrophobic self cleaning coatings are already being used on the Cadillac CT6 electronic rear view mirror system and they are also in use on certain Panasonic brand CCTV cameras. There are apparently several new technologies in the works for various applications. Tokina is touting a new "hydrophillic" water dispersion filter technology that looks very promising.

Last edited:
Nigel, NOBODY has suggested or in any way believes that the fictional substance known as “Transparent Aluminum” from the 1986 Star Trek movie really exists even if aluminum oxynitride or synthetic spinels do share or mimic some of its alleged properties. Please try to keep in mind that this discussion started out as a joke by @Gibson99 regarding @reverend's use of the term "metal lenses". It is why we have those little emoticons to clarify our remarks and why I used "this one-:p" after stating that the stuff is "real" as did Gibson did in his remarks.

did you forget who you're dealing with :p

Perhaps we need a explanation box to pop up when you do a mouseover on a emoticon.

This emoticon is here as the paragraph before it was irony.

01.jpg 02.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg
We are coming! OEM first in 2 months.

A12 Starlight Night Vision Demo Video download Links:

This is just a demo made two months ago.

not a good demo as the lenses are very different

What we need to see it's the video effect we can see, which is more important than lens type.

What do you mean?

sorry, I should have rephrased that, not a good comparison

the lenses are quite different, if you want to show the effects of the newer chipset a better comparison would be if the rest of the hardware was the same, then you're seeing what effect the chipset has, when the lens is also different it's hard to judge

you can see the same sort of result from the same chipset when the lenses are different

sorry, I should have rephrased that, not a good comparison

the lenses are quite different, if you want to show the effects of the newer chipset a better comparison would be if the rest of the hardware was the same, then you're seeing what effect the chipset has, when the lens is also different it's hard to judge

you can see the same sort of result from the same chipset when the lenses are different

Rick, I understand your meaning.
To approve how A12LA35 is better than A7LA70, 50, 30 is not what we want to show or approve.
Ambarella team should have done it before we get A12 CPU to make it on Car Camera.

We want to show DOME manufactured Ambarella A12 Car Camera achieve a qualitative leap on Night Vision, which is a dream of how many Dashcam users!!

Now we make it!

you could adjust the settings to give a similar effect, just pointing out that it doesn't really demonstrate what you want to show effectively, you could just as easily show the A12 video all by itself, it's not really related to the A7 for the sake of comparison as the rest of the hardware that matters is different also

you could adjust the settings to give a similar effect, just pointing out that it doesn't really demonstrate what you want to show effectively, you could just as easily show the A12 video all by itself, it's not really related to the A7 for the sake of comparison as the rest of the hardware that matters is different also

Yeah, it's possible.

Look promising for sure, i better get that job or lotto win so i am ready to buy when these hit the streets.
I was reading about some interesting 4K CMOS chips a while ago, cant remember brand, but they was extra light sensetive in some way.

Not quite sure but i think the CMOS i was reading about was from Toshiba ??? and i think they was in the same size as most CMOS chips used today is.

Better night time footage is in my eyes the biggest challenge in dashcams today, so i salute any one who take up that fight/challenge.

Back