DOME lead Dashcam 4K times!

Hopefully one which can review 4K footag on somthing, no fun if its down-scaled 4K on a 1080p monitor or TV

To clear 2560x1440 is 4k is incredibly shaky. My understanding is that the big boys (canon, nikon, pentax etc) count the resolution from the first number so 2560 resolution is 2.5k. Ambarella A9 has 3800 x yyyy resolution so that I count as 4k as @jokiin states as it's basically just rounding up a bit.

Ambarella A9 is pretty unstable the last time I investigate it for the car camera plus quite pricey. Things could have changed in the eight months since I last properly gave it a look at but with Ambarella's history on SDK support and well just generally support, I'd doubt that - a lot. Just look at all the GoPro 4 people complaining about heating issues and how temperamental it is.

Whilst I believe A12 is a great chip as it finally adds h.265 support and various other things, as jokiin states I wouldn't rush to buy the first one. This chip was officially released in late May and to get a camera out in less than 6 months on a brand new chip isn't just asking for trouble it's looking for trouble.

But I commend DOME for taking the plunge, someone has to.

To clear 2560x1440 is 4k is incredibly shaky. My understanding is that the big boys (canon, nikon, pentax etc) count the resolution from the first number so 2560 resolution is 2.5k. Ambarella A9 has 3800 x yyyy resolution so that I count as 4k as @jokiin states as it's basically just rounding up a bit.
2560 width seems to have become 2k instead of 2.5k, apparently better for Chinese marketing. It is definitely not 4k, that is just a mistake, although it is 4 Megapixels.

4k should have around 4 thousand pixels width, either a bit more or a bit less depending on the aspect ratio, that was defined as a standard many years ago as the next upgrade to 2k video. Normal 1080 HD video is really 2k but has never been called that, the 2k name was originally only used for the slightly wider aspect ratio versions used in cinema with "HD/FHD" being used for TV even though it was part of the same standard.

Whatever you want to call it its miles away from what Dome think 4k is, the 4k solutions that are coming are 3840 x 2160p, 16:9 aspect ratio same as what's referred to as 4k on TVs

Please use a metal lens holder and metal lenses so it doesn't have the focus issues in heat that the G90 had and the G5WA now has - your customers will thank you later :)
Been watching a bit too much Star Trek, @reverend? Transparent Aluminum hasn't been invented yet. At least not in a way that we can use it in a dashcam that a normal human can afford... :p

Last edited:
Been watching a bit too much Star Trek, @reverend? Transparent Aluminum hasn't been invented yet. :p
It will not work anyway, due to the extreme low density it will not refract light enough to be used as a lens, it's main advantages are very light weight and strength/weight ratio.

Hopefully one which can review 4K footag on somthing, no fun if its down-scaled 4K on a 1080p monitor or TV

Tonight, I'm posting from my girlfriend's house. I built her computer 4 years ago using an Asus Motherboard and bit-n-pieces scrounged from Newegg. The monitor I paired with this system is a 32", 1080P Sony Bravia with 120hz scan rate. The table it's set on gives a viewing distance of ~ 3 feet. Bigger screens at this distance are a problem. If you've never seen this setup, I recommend that you examine a large screen setup. It's clear, detailed and quite beautiful.

Interesting note: Vid cards are available today that will do 4K for a few hundred USD. I can buy a Sony 43" 4K, 120hz for about the same money I paid for the 32" Bravia. I'd probably have to change the viewing distance to 4 or 5 feet. I would probably examine other brands of 4K TV to see what was available in a 32" model before buying. I would gut any "smart" TV features (wifi, cams, mics) if I ended up with a smart model.

Based on a lot of posts in this thread, I reckon I'll wait on 4K for a few years. I might just have to build my own experimental starlight lens with SBC post-processor and MDVR.....

Been watching a bit too much Star Trek, @reverend? Transparent Aluminum hasn't been invented yet. At least not in a way that we can use it in a dashcam that a normal human can afford... :p

You've obviously been drinking way too much Romulan ale, otherwise you would know that Transparent Aluminum is real! :p Called aluminium oxynitride, it has optical properties like glass, is 4 times harder than fused silica glass, 85% as hard as sapphire and can be fabricated into transparent windows, plates, domes, rods, tubes and other shapes. It is marketed under the brand name ALON and is used as bulletproof glass, armor and in making certain types of specialty lenses. You might be right about the affordability part but transparent aluminum dash cam lenses are very small. Take two! :)

alon.png

You've obviously been drinking way too much Romulan ale, otherwise you would know that Transparent Aluminum is real! :p Called aluminium oxynitride, it has optical properties like glass, is 4 times harder than fused silica glass, 85% as hard as sapphire and can be fabricated into transparent windows, plates, domes, rods, tubes and other shapes. It is marketed under the brand name ALON and is used as bulletproof glass, armor and in making certain types of specialty lenses. You might be right about the affordability part but transparent aluminum dash cam lenses are very small. Take two! :)

View attachment 16414
:)

You've obviously been drinking way too much Romulan ale,...
While I do enjoy hanging out at Quark's, I'm only there to play darts, watch people lose it all playing Dabo, and occasionally visit a holo-suite. :D

and yes, i can use wikipedia, too. that's where i ended up when i checked myself and did a quick edit to say that it's just not affordable yet.

Back