Double-beep of death?

troels

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all. Just received two units and have been trying them out before installing.

I have installed the latest firmware posted recently.

I have an issue whereby at the recording screen, during recording I press the REC - the unit the starts to do a continued double-beep and the REC button flashes. This is presumably to warn me it is not recording? At this point I believe I should be able to go into playback mode.

This worked a few times but then it stopped - it now just continues double-beeping and none of the buttons have any affect except the power button which turns off the screen.

After a power-cycle I am at the recording screen again, REC is red (not flashing or beeping), the unit does not appear to be recording. Pressing Menu does a screenshot, and MIC button toggles audio recording. Press REC gets me back into double-beep mode again. Basically I can’t get out of this.

This happens on both units and also occurred before I upgraded the firmware. Upgrading the firmware (again) was the only way to get out of this mode but it still happens again during use after the upgrade. I have also tried multiple different 64GB micro SD cards - same behaviour. Both cards were formatted in the cam, although the format was extremely quick (does this sound right?).

Unless I'm doing something wrong then it looks like there is a fault with these units. Not a good start - I read good things about this cam but these are failing at the first hurdle.

Any idea what is going on?

Last edited:
Please try to reset it to defaults.
And format the card in camera. If you format on computer, be sure it is FAT32 formate, for windows, recommend using GUIFORMAT.EXE tool.

There is continuous beep while not recording.

As I said above, I already formatted both cards in the camera. I can't get into the camera to reset to default - is there a way to hard reset?

Okay I found the reset button. Now here's a very simple sequence to reproduce the above issue. Would appreciate if anyone can try this and confirm:

1. Reset to factory defaults (just so we have a known baseline) - camera powers on and starts recording at 1440P30.
2. Press REC to pause recording and change resolution to 1080P60. Press Menu - camera starts to record at 1080P60.
3. Press REC to pause recording and change loop recording to 10 minutes. Press Menu - camera is in recording mode but is NOT recording.
4. Press REC to pause recording - you are in double beep of death mode, as described above.

Okay I found the reset button. Now here's a very simple sequence to reproduce the above issue. Would appreciate if anyone can try this and confirm:

1. Reset to factory defaults (just so we have a known baseline) - camera powers on and starts recording at 1440P30.
2. Press REC to pause recording and change resolution to 1080P60. Press Menu - camera starts to record at 1080P60.
3. Press REC to pause recording and change loop recording to 10 minutes. Press Menu - camera is in recording mode but is NOT recording.
4. Press REC to pause recording - you are in double beep of death mode, as described above.

that's good info for @viofo if they can test and confirm this pattern gives the same result it will be much easier for the engineer to resolve, the easiest bugs to fix are the ones that can be reproduced

Just repeated with 3 different cards - Sandisk, Samsung and Kingston. All of which have been formatted in the device. Highly doubt it’s the cards.

My job is software testing by the way :)

Can anyone else confirm the sequence?

Narrowed further - its enough to change the resolution then change loop to 10 mins without having to go back into the Recording screen in between:

2. Press REC to pause recording and change resolution to 1080P60.
3. Change Loop Recording to 10 minutes. Press Menu - camera is in recording mode but is NOT recording.

Last edited:
Just repeated with 3 different cards - Sandisk, Samsung and Kingston. All of which have been formatted in the device. Highly doubt it’s the cards.

My job is software testing by the way :)

Can anyone else confirm the sequence?

Narrowed further - its enough to change the resolution then change loop to 10 mins without having to go back into the Recording screen in between:

2. Press REC to pause recording and change resolution to 1080P60.
3. Change Loop Recording to 10 minutes. Press Menu - camera is in recording mode but is NOT recording.

I just tried to replicate this but could not. I installed the latest firmware (0829) and followed your sequence. I did not get "stuck"at the end. I could simply press menu to get back into the settings. I also checked to make sure it actually recorded when it said it was.

Hmm, same setup as me. I have created a video to demonstrate. Can you please check the exact sequence of actions:

Hmm, same setup as me. I have created a video to demonstrate. Can you please check the exact sequence of actions:

That is exactly what I did. You are on the latest firmware from the Viofo site correct? Version 0829? The only thing different is I was powering the unit via the side port, not the GPS mount. Have you tried that? I will try the GPS mount when I have some time.

Haven't tried that yet but will do later. Do you have the GPS plugged in? Is it enabled?

GPS is not plugged in. Default settings. Not sure if GPS is enabled by default, I'll check.

I have tried Kingston, Sandisk and Samsung, all class 10, all 64GB, all formatted in the cam. Same result.

I don't actually. I'd have to buy one.

There's also the possible GPS difference.

Mine are brand new - is there any possible new hardware variant? Is there a way to tell?

Back