DR500GW-HD - Format once a week?

Yeshua

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dash Cam
VIOFO A129 Pro
The manual states the microSD should be formatted once a week:

It is recommended to format it once a week.

Is this really necessary? (I know it can be easily done by pressing the WiFi button for 10 seconds.)

And:

Insert the formatted microSD card into the product so that the microSD card is automatically initialized and the firmware is installed on it.

Do I understand this correctly? Settings are not lost when you format the microSD card? And what if you use the WiFi button instead of SDFormatter? Is the card immediately initialized after formatting or do I have to switch my car off and on again?

(I'm aware these may be "simple" questions, but the search function offers no reply...)

It works like this The camera is loaded with the firmware at the factory and a blank SD card is supplied.

When you first use the camera the firmware is loaded onto the card,

You should then remove the card and set it up as you want it in your PC .

Then when it is replaced in the camera it updates what is in the camera.

So if you format the card and replace it blank it will get the settings retained in the camera If you load firmware onto the card it will update the camera.

I format mine about once a month if I remember but then I don't use the car every day.

Cards can corrupt when used in hot areas and the maker is just covering their backside with this. Its up to you.

I have a different model in use as a security camera Has been going 24/7 for several weeks without formatting. Still ok .

It has been proved that formatting in the camera is not necessarily the best idea, neither is doing the setup in the camera via WIFI as some settings don't "take"

Back