Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S
opened.jpg

redvj.jpg

bvneg.jpg

The red positive wire is connected with 1 copper strand.

I just received my DR500GW-HD unit in today and I found this. Have any of you guys taken the black cover off yet?

Check yours if you can. The outlet cover is held in by 1 Phillips screw. It is very easy to remove with a common screwdriver.

This is shoddy work and perhaps an isolated case whereas the QC missed out the checks? Both my Blackvue Dr500gw ciggy adapter internal wirings were proper.

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear yours does not have the same bad soldering work.

Hopefully mine is an isolated incident but everyone should check theirs as it could be a potential hazard.

flank said:
Hopefully mine is an isolated incident but everyone should check theirs as it could be a potential hazard.
how so?? its not like its carrying 10A near flammable things. the camera will be happy running off half a strand for its life

Mine runs off the cable that came with my 400 as it is all in behind the treim so just plugged it in as they are identical

Now have the 500 one running the 400 in other car No probs

wozzzzza said:
how so?? its not like its carrying 10A near flammable things. the camera will be happy running off half a strand for its life

The red would be hot. It could break off and touch the white wire or either of the 2 metal sides.

I can fix this easily and have tools at hand.
fixav.jpg

I'm giving people a heads up to check theirs and remedy the situation if its present. There are plenty of flammable items in one's car. Alcohol, McDonald wrappers, ammunition, etc. 5 Filipino nurses were just burned to death in a car a few days ago here. It was a few miles down the road to my house.

628x4714.jpg

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=9092518

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think you would have just been unlucky and got a dud one, the adapter is not something they would manufacture themselves, a faulty one can slip through the system, I've had similar happen in the past it's just one of those things that happens

Wow, a DVR burn't down the limo and crispy friend five birds? That's harsh man :oops:

Guess there is a good lawsuit coming the way of the DVR manufacturer then !!

Marcus said:
Wow, a DVR burn't down the limo and crispy friend five birds? That's harsh man :oops:

Pleaes tell us where it said it was attributed to a dashcam.

Nowhere in all of the reports I have read does it say that.

In fact the front of the car wasnt burnt , the fire started in the right rear.

Please stick to the facts

Fire started due to electrical accessories.

You a shill for BV or something? :?

I went to the trouble of creating an account on here to give people a heads up and this is what it comes to?

Hillbilly said:
Marcus said:

Pleaes tell us where it said it was attributed to a dashcam.

Nowhere in all of the reports I have read does it say that.

I suspect he was being sarcastic

I'm no fan of Blackvue quality (design, yes) but I strongly suspect the problem with the charger for this guy was an isolated incident, like I said they wouldn't even make their own charger it would be just one of those things that slipped through the system

Well, the general consensus seems like the Aussies and Brits are ok with subpar work. It is fitting as my unit came from Australia :lol:

flank said:
Well, the general consensus seems like the Aussies and Brits are ok with subpar work. It is fitting as my unit came from Australia :lol:

I don't think it's ok, just that it's something that can happen

flank said:

Well look on it and see where it was made

I guarantee it wasnt made in Australia as almost nothing is made here because of the exchange rate making things cost to much.

May have been sold from Australia after being imported from somewhere,probably China or Korea

I think the first batch of DR500s had an issue with breaks in the cables as we had quite a few returns and had to send out a few replacements.

They seem to have sorted the issue now. Well for the UK market at least :p

From the responses, it doesn't seem like its a widespread problem thankfully. I'm glad I got this bad cable and not someone else since I was going to cut off that end anyways to hard wire the camera into the car's wiring.

Hopefully they find a new supplier for the cables. Weakest link in the chain....

flank said:
From the responses, it doesn't seem like its a widespread problem thankfully. I'm glad I got this bad cable and not someone else since I was going to cut off that end anyways to hard wire the camera into the car's wiring.

Hopefully they find a new supplier for the cables. Weakest link in the chain....

Dont forget that by removing the plug you are removing the fuse so should put a line fuse in that is only about 1 amp as anything in the car fuses will be far too heavy and if camera has a fault it may go on fire before fuse blows

Already got the in line fuse protection on order. I'm doing a few more car gadget installs. I don't need my car to burn down :lol:

orderd.jpg

I'm going to add a USB charging port. Motorcycle kit in a car.
mcusb.jpg

I'm running a tablet 7", 2 mobile phones, radar detector, car camera, mobile wifi router and adding a rear car recording camera.

Back