Problem with Power Magic and DR500GW-HD

Voyag3r

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

i have my DR500GW-HD hardwired in my car ( Mercedes C180 W202 ). As battery discharge prevention tool i use Power Magic (without Pro). The Power Magic sits in the engine compartment on the fuse box . Approximately the first half year , everything worked great. As time went on Power Magic deactivates the camera faster and faster when it is in parking mode, but immediately started the cam again when i started the engine. Lately it takes very long until Power Magic turns on my camera again. Sometimes only after a half hour drive. Even if the battery is perhaps older, even in very cold nights i never had a problem when starting the car engine . Normally, the camera should come on immediately after starting the engine. The generator produces enough power. I think maybe the Power Magic is faulty. Meanwhile, I have set the Power Magic to a voltage of 11.8 volts. The battery would be almost empty at this voltage. The problem remains. The camera turns on very late or not at all. Did anyone ever have a similar problem or have any tips for me?

pm.jpg
pm2.jpg

Easiest way to find out is bypass the powermagic and see how long it takes the camera to start up I have found mine take at least 30 -45 secs to get going The fastest is the 350 then the 400 then the 500 Have recently replaced the battery in the 400 and it seems to be a bit faster.

Can you plug it into the ciggy socket and try it If you have a spare 12v ciggy power connector off something else its easy to do The camera end is a 2.5mm pin if I remember correctly

Thanks for your reply. The few seconds the camera need to start are not the problem. The trouble is that the camera sometimes will not start or only after a long drive. But you're right. When I have time, I'll probably bypass the Power Magic and so test the function. Maybe with a switch in the bypass line.

Greetings
Voyag3r

I don't think the powermagic is designed to be exposed to the elements like that.. it's under your hood but it's clearly getting wet/dirty. The board is not potted and could be affected by corrosion or something along those lines. I installed mine inside the car under the dash, no problems like you describe for a few years now.. just a thought..

Agree Looks like it has been wet and grotty probably stuffed but green light appears to be on Try metering it out. it should have power all the time until the parking time runs out

Yes, the green light is on mostly. But in my case this means not that the camera is on. Maybe that installation point was not such a really good idea ;-) . Let's see if i have time on the weekend to get me to look at the details. I'll write again when there is something new. Thank you for your opinions

Yesterday i plugged the connector of the camera directly into the socket of the cigarette lighter. The camera started immediately. So there is definitly a problem with the Power Magic. I removed the wires of the Power Magic. Then i wired the camera directly with the fuse box in the engine compartment. I also installed a small switch in the footwell of the driver side. If i park the car longer i can turn off the camera to avoid battery discharge. Maybe sometime i will open the Power Magic and look inside it.

I don´t want to buy a new Power Magic. I don´t want to install such a box in the inner space of my car and it seems that the Power Magic and the engine compartment don´t harmonize with each other ;).
It also looks like that they don´t sell the power Magic anymore. I just saw the more expensive Power Magic Pro for sale.

schalter.jpg

The PM pro is the same thing with a switch in it What you have done is virtually the same except you have no low voltage cutoff

Back