DR900S-2CH - Frustrated - Auto Event and Cloud Services

chappyja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sort of regretting spending the extra money on this camera, but maybe I'm missing something. I have this installed and hard wired into my fuse box - that works great. I DO NOT have a hotspot in my car, but I park in our home garage and a second home garage, where it connects to wifi. Both locations are marked "garage" in the settings. I get the alerts that the camera successfully connects and disconnects. I use IOS on my phone. Connecting to the camera while it is not connected to wifi almost never works. I choose it as my connection and it shows connected on my phone's wifi settings, but the app just spins when I try to look at footage. That's problem number 1. Number 2 is, I have it set to auto upload events. My understanding is that events should auto upload once the camera connects to wifi. Mine does not. Basically, in order for me look at footage f

Welcome to the forum.
These smart cameras have extra levels of stuff to go wrong, sadly i am not able to help you as i am not familiar with these cameras, but there are quite a few users of them in here, so lets hope they can help you.

Blackvue's implementation of Wifi is pretty basic so connection from/to camera works oddly (sometimes even channel or channel width of an AP is a problem). To my understanding, "garage" means that the dashcam will prefer such Wifi against another in the list, nothing more. Btw: Apple has some issues with Wifi as well - for example a "far" distance pretty often prevents connection to the Wifi of the DR900S (for me).

Ad "App spins": Did you try to kill the app and relauch it? According to my experience if i view a footage in the "Blackvue cloud" section and won't close the app, then try to connect directly it still tries to connect via cloud (while there isn't internet). So you have to exit from the Cloud section before direct connection or kill the app afterwards.

Every upload (notification, auto-upload, etc.) works only while it's connected to the hotspot. Nothing retroactive.

Last edited:
Are you sure there are things happening in your garage that should create an event to be uploaded? Just curious, as I can’t imagine what would cause an event when parked in a garage.

Shared garage is pretty good source for events but i guess he's talking about auto-upload footage of events that occurred during a day.

That is also my understanding of OP's question.
Perhaps @chappyja would clarify?

Ah, I didn’t realise it was a shared garage. By home garage I assume it was a private one.

But shared/single garage is irrelevant to Nath's (and my) understanding of OP's question.

At the end of the OPs question he says 'Number 2 is, I have it set to auto upload events. My understanding is that events should auto upload once the camera connects to wifi. Mine does not.'

I understood it that he thinks events in the garage should be uploaded to the cloud by the camera when it is connected to his home WiFi, which it should do.

If, like Nath says, he means that any events that happened while he was out should be uploaded to the cloud once the camera connects to his home WiFi, it won't. The camera only uploads events that occur whilst connected to the Cloud. If any events occur whilst not connected to the Cloud they will not be uploaded once a Cloud connection is made.

That pretty much covers all understanding options of OP's question.

Sorry, just got back from being out of town. To clarify, it is a home garage, not shared. I "thought" that setting the auto upload for events setting to on and designating my home internet wifi as "garage" would essentially open the flood gates for events that occurred during my travels that day, since I don't have a hot spot in my car. I would not normally have an event in my garage, although I did get one upload successfully when I went out to the car while it was in parking mode, opened the door to get something and then when I shut the door it triggered an event. It did upload that.

I guess my frustration lies in that I thought the cloud services would be more useful than what they are, given the additional money spent on this vs. a less expensive camera with similar video capabilities. It looks like I have to do the same thing with this that I do with my Rexing that was 25% of the cost, which is to use a reader for the memory card.

You don't have to use a memory card reader. Try to find "Blackvue downloader" in this forum, there are several options for auto-download footage from your dashcam directly via your Wifi after you get home. ;)

Btw: IMHO if you don't plan to put a hotspot into your car then DR900S doesn't worth the money anymore. There will be a "Viofo A129 Pro" soon which seems promising and i bet there will be a way how to download footage via Wifi as well.

Last edited:
Back