DR900X Plus Review + Comparisons to DR900X

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I did a side by side of the two 900X models. One thing to note is it seems my rear camera might be out of focus on the right side. Checked to see if there was anything on the lens and I did not notice. Waiting to hear back from the blackvue rep I am in contact with. Watch in 4K if you can.

Besides the right side of the rear camera being blurry, the left side looks noticeably more defined. One example to look for is in the day sample at 2:28 (in the day video) you can read the white cars plate and the "NOW LEASING" sign when you can't in the old model.

The front camera looks overall better. If you pause it while I am driving the license plates always are more readable, sometimes not at all on the old model, while readable on the Plus model. If you pause while I am about to exit the freeway you can see the tall grasses on the right side are much more defined and clear when you pause.

EDIT: New rear camera was received and new comparisons will be uploaded soon.

EDIT 2: New uploads with replacement rear camera are below. The old videos have been removed from youtube although I will likely use them in my review.

EDIT 3: Posted review

Last edited:
The blackvue rep just contacted me few min after posting this and they said there seems to be an issue and are sending a replacement.

does my rear cam look blurry on the right side? I'm not crazy right?
In the video from the DR900X Plus rear camera, you can see objects on the left side of the video in focus, but on the right side objects appear to be a bit out of focus

The blackvue rep just contacted me few min after posting this and they said there seems to be an issue and are sending a replacement.
Glad to hear they're sending you a replacement. I've seen the same issue on previous Blackvue dashcams as well. Perhaps it's a QC issue?

Most of the improvements can be seen, some not so much: Example - following the Brinks truck looks much better on 900X v. 900X+ (seems crisper, brighter). 900X+ is def better with words/tags. Maybe the replacement will do better.

Glad to hear they're sending you a replacement. I've seen the same issue on previous Blackvue dashcams as well. Perhaps it's a QC issue?
one of my very old videos on my youtube account in 2014 was a video on how to twist a blackvue dr550gw lens to fix the focus lol. You can't do that with a rear camera though. Still on my account surprisingly considering I deleted quite a few of my really old videos. I did all sorts of dumb things like spray painted it matte black, tried making my own 1/4" screw mount for a G1W and it came out bad haha.

I deleted the comparisons and have new footage to show. I need to edit the night one still.

Most of the improvements can be seen, some not so much: Example - following the Brinks truck looks much better on 900X v. 900X+ (seems crisper, brighter). 900X+ is def better with words/tags. Maybe the replacement will do better.
The replacement is definitely better. It seems focused on both sides now. All the new comparison footage I show was in motion though, I didn't get any good rear shot while sitting at a stop light. lets you really see the difference of signs or plates when not in motion. but even in motion the 900X+ looks better. Not leaps and bounds better but definitely helps consider the 900S and 900X lacked compared to other true 4k dual channel cams.

The replacement is definitely better. It seems focused on both sides now. All the new comparison footage I show was in motion though, I didn't get any good rear shot while sitting at a stop light. lets you really see the difference of signs or plates when not in motion. but even in motion the 900X+ looks better. Not leaps and bounds better but definitely helps consider the 900S and 900X lacked compared to other true 4k dual channel cams.

I also have a blurry rear camera on the right side. :cautious:

Does your video audio distort when there are low frequencies like music with bass? I am not sure if I have faulty mic hardware or if this is a software thing. :unsure:

Last edited:
DR900X+ audio distortion samples vs DR750S.

Attachments

• samples.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Here's hoping they're giving the "requested features" post the same attention...

Last edited:
I have not noticed any distortion but I will have to try and listen closer.

If you could listen to music with bass, turn the volume up. I would appreciate it.

I have a feeling it's a bad mic (hardware) or clipping because the DR750S does not have this issue in side by side comparisons.

Last edited:
If you could listen to music with bass, turn the volume up. I would appreciate it.

I have a feeling it's a bad mic (hardware) or clipping because the DR750S does not have this issue in side by side comparisons.
Just tried some bass heavy electronic music and it sounded just fine on my dr900x.

Just tried some bass heavy electronic music and it sounded just fine on my dr900x.

Every time I need to view a recording I have to turn the volume down on my phone due to distorted audio.

If my old DR750S sounds fine with the same audio source why doesn't the latest greatest Blackvue device?

Seems like a step backward if not a hardware defect. Mic off for now. :confused:

@USDashCamera do you know if chipset or CMOS are changed? Maybe the CMOS is upgraded to a new version?

Regarding your problem with parking at home maybe exists some 12V programmable timer switch which will cut the dashcam power from 6PM to 8AM for example.

when one half of the camera is in focus and the other half out of focus is called Asymmetry.
Whoever the optical technician was for BlackVue or the Outsourced Vender or supplier, the optical sensor should have failed testing and inspection and never been installed. Optical sensors are manufactured using robotic and lasers in a Clean Room, de-ionized, dust free environment. They're given a visual inspection for contamination and scratches on the lens, then go through testing, focus adjustment and alignment. Maybe they use super magnified cameras that have specific written commands/software to do both visual and testing in an automated process.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I did a side by side of the two 900X models. One thing to note is it seems my rear camera might be out of focus on the right side. Checked to see if there was anything on the lens and I did not notice. Waiting to hear back from the blackvue rep I am in contact with. Watch in 4K if you can.

Besides the right side of the rear camera being blurry, the left side looks noticeably more defined. One example to look for is in the day sample at 2:28 (in the day video) you can read the white cars plate and the "NOW LEASING" sign when you can't in the old model.

The front camera looks overall better. If you pause it while I am driving the license plates always are more readable, sometimes not at all on the old model, while readable on the Plus model. If you pause while I am about to exit the freeway you can see the tall grasses on the right side are much more defined and clear when you pause.

EDIT: New rear camera was received and new comparisons will be uploaded soon.

EDIT 2: New uploads with replacement rear camera are below. The old videos have been removed from youtube although I will likely use them in my review.

EDIT 3: Posted review

This is unusual as the Original DR900X video quality at day and night is better than the DR900X-Plus. The only thing I noticed during the day that colors were bit darker with the 900X-Plus. Guess the DR750S has less issues than the newer cams. As it has been said, Newer is not always better.

Back