DR970X-2CH Testing & Review RCG

Did you read my testing thread before you purchased your 970X?
I read it afterwards

Did you read my testing thread before you purchased your 970X?
Also, my rear camera is fine do you think? It’s just the front camera that is out of focus?

Pittasoft had me send in (they supplied a DHL shipping label) the DR970X LTE cameras to be recalibrated. After the front was recalibrated, it's still out of focus on the right side. I sent an email to Pittasoft over two weeks ago about this issue, but I've received no response. I just forwarded that email again to my Pittasoft support contact to see if I can get a response to this issue.

Here's a screenshot from the "recalibrated" DR970X LTE front camera:
View attachment 66083
@BlackVue_Pittasoft customer service is way below industry average. Not sure what is going on over there. But it is impossible to get a hold of people or get customer service. There Cloud Dash cams tech is doing well but when there is an issue it is impossible to get a hold of people. Hope they get it fixed for you.

I got on to my installer who has ordered a replacement. Will let you know bow it goes and will post a video for you guys to check for me too!

I received an email back from my Pittasoft support contact. He agrees that the recalibrated DR970X LTE front camera is still out of focus. He stated he will get a replacement unit sent to me from the next/current production run.
Did you receive your replacement yet? If so, is it in focus? I’m still waiting for mine to arrive. It’s meant to be here by Tuesday next week.

Did you receive your replacement yet? If so, is it in focus? I’m still waiting for mine to arrive. It’s meant to be here by Tuesday next week.
No, I have not received the replacement unit yet. Not even a shipping notice.

No, I have not received the replacement unit yet. Not even a shipping notice.
That’s poor. Unless it hasn’t been manufactured yet. I really hope my replacement will be fine next week. Sick of paying for the flagship model if there is a bad production batch.

Replacement camera received. What do you think?
I could be totally wrong , but it looks like the entire right side of the image is blurry.
We need RCG's expert eagle eye for confirmation.

Replacement camera received. What do you think?
IMO, the right 2/3rds of the field of view is out of focus. When I look at things on the left side they appear to be in focus, but the signs/trees/buildings on the right side appear to be out of focus. There is some windshield reflection/glare occurring on the right side, but that doesn't appear to be the root cause of the focus issue. There are times when there are no reflections from the dash board on the right side and it still looks out of focus to me.

1689691981961.png 1689692162889.png

I could be totally wrong , but it looks like the entire right side of the image is blurry.
So is the replacement even worse than the original?! I don’t know what to do. I’ve emailed Pittasoft separately to my installer the same video and they think it’s fine!! I pointed out the out focus part on the right hand side of the video. It must be a bad batch - thoughts?

IMO, the right 2/3rds of the field of view is out of focus. When I look at things on the left side they appear to be in focus, but the signs/trees/buildings on the right side appear to be out of focus. There is some windshield reflection/glare occurring on the right side, but that doesn't appear to be the root cause of the focus issue. There are times when there are no reflections from the dash board on the right side and it still looks out of focus to me.

View attachment 66410 View attachment 66412
Thanks for your input. I’m going to send your images to Pittasoft.

Blackvue have come back with this - thoughts?:
“Based from the sample picture, the issue is not a camera out of focus issue but an issue with the Glare and Sun's repletion to the cars Dashboard and camera

Please refer to the link below for ideas on how to fix the issue”

View attachment 66410 View attachment 66412
Blackvue have come back with this - thoughts?:
“Based from the sample picture, the issue is not a camera out of focus issue but an issue with the Glare and Sun's repletion to the cars Dashboard and camera

Please refer to the link below for ideas on how to fix the issue”

thoughts?
100% Refund?
Who did you buy the camera from?
Who installed the camera?
Are those two the same retailer / shop?
Your installation labor charges most likely will not be refunded.
If they won't refund the cost of the camera I would file a dispute with my credit card company.
Next time you buy a dash cam “Bench Test” it in your house before you pay someone to install it.

To remove the vehicle windshield from the issue, remove the front camera from the windshield mount. Use the cigarette lighter adapter to power the front camera outside of the vehicle. You'll have to hold it steady unless you can mount it temporarily to something for this focus check. Try to test this so there is no direct sunlight on the camera body/lens to avoid any influence that might have on the lens of the camera. Gather the footage from that test and check it for focus clarity. I've been doing this out of vehicle focus checks to help document my claim of an out of focus camera.

To remove the vehicle windshield from the issue, remove the front camera from the windshield mount. Use the cigarette lighter adapter to power the front camera outside of the vehicle. You'll have to hold it steady unless you can mount it temporarily to something for this focus check. Try to test this so there is no direct sunlight on the camera body/lens to avoid any influence that might have on the lens of the camera. Gather the footage from that test and check it for focus clarity. I've been doing this out of vehicle focus checks to help document my claim of an out of focus camera.
Between your dashcams and mine that are out of focus that is 4. There is a bad batch/manufacturing issue.

The out of focus issue is also plaguing the DR770x Series. Purchased a DR770X-1ch from BBMC and the quality is horrible. Unable to read license plates or street signs. BBMC has referred me to BV for support. Surprised BBMC cannot exchange or fix.

Last edited:
Back