Emergency Save suggestion for manufacturers

RCPilot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DC Front / Rear
I noticed that when you press the emergency save button on the A119 it only locks the current video file. I assume when the G-Sensor is activated it also only locks the current file. It would be better if the camera locked the current file and the prior file.

Let's say your camera is set to save files every 3 min. You are driving along and a car swerves across a couple of lanes and hits your car. The impact happens at the 0:01 mark of the current file. The camera locks the file and only has 1 second of the accident recorded. The prior file that has most of the important info is not locked.

Most people would know to save the prior file later or take out the SD card and put in another one to make sure nothing happens to the important video files. But it would be better if the cam also locked the prior file when an incident is triggered by the g-sensor or the user presses the emergency lock button. It is something that is very easy to program and could be a menu option for the user to select.

Last edited:
I tested at 1080P 30FPS and 60FPS and hit the cam to make the g-sensor activate. Only the current file was saved. I also tested using the emergency save button and it only recorded the current file. My A119 is version A119.160829.V1.1.

It's different in one of the firmware versions from memory, I'm sure it was mentioned previously

I noticed that when you press the emergency save button on the A119 it only locks the current video file. I assume when the G-Sensor is activated it also only locks the current file. It would be better if the camera locked the current file and the prior file.

Let's say your camera is set to save files every 3 min. You are driving along and a car swerves across a couple of lanes and hits your car. The impact happens at the 0:01 mark of the current file. The camera locks the file and only has 1 second of the accident recorded. The prior file that has most of the important info is not locked.

Most people would know to save the prior file later or take out the SD card and put in another one to make sure nothing happens to the important video files. But it would be better if the cam also locked the prior file when an incident is triggered by the g-sensor or the user presses the emergency lock button. It is something that is very easy to program and could be a menu option for the user to select.

In 1440p mode, if it locks a file right near the end or start of a file (lets say 1-2 seconds before/after) you could end up losing important footage (if the card loops over). Is there any way you could make it similar to what the Mobius does, and lock two files when very near (say 10-20 seconds) the start or end of a file? Eg. Button pressed at 10 seconds in to a new file, it locks current + previous file. Button pressed with only 10 seconds left on current file, locks current + next file. Otherwise, I can see opportunities for lost footage.

If no hardware limitation, we will think to support in future firmware.

Hello, @viofo, kind reminder.
Hopefully before/after file lock feature is not forgotten and development goes well. I and other users see this as high importance safety feature. Please don't forget to include this to next update.

Back