Experts: why the light is white? The secret.

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
The Itronics ITB-100HD and I think the FineVu CR500 are the only dashcams which for the streets-city orange sodium vapor lights are offering white light.
The white light is the secret of the beautiful night image of these cameras and I don't understand how they made this possible.
Please don't talk about some user custom set of White Balance like Fluorescent or Cloudy or bla-bla because these cameras are working only in full Auto mode so during day we have correct normal colors and during night the city lights are white. Any user WB preset will destroy the day lightning conditions and these cameras don't have any users WB preset in their settings to make the light white because the user want this. If some cameras have WB presets in menu I am not interested at all about them so please don't discuss about any camera with custom WB setting.

1. Low pressure sodium light:

2. Car halogen light:

Even the Livue image is natural, maybe with the correct white balance, I am not intested about natural image, but about the always white light.

How is this possible? Is a lens secret or software secret?

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Mtz said:
Please don't talk about some custom White Balance like Fluorescent or Cloudy or bla-bla

But what if this is the answer you made it very hard to continue.

"Low pressure sodium (deep orange) street lights are always going to look orange because they are orange. They are monochromatic with only one wavelength at 589 nm. They have no red, green or blue light to balance.

High pressure sodium lights (whiter orange) can sometimes be white balanced. Most cameras lack the range to do this. If your camera can, you can get the scene to look as if it is under white light and not the orange of the street lights"

Edit.
So in the end it is a WB issue, but if some cameras can see it as white and some don't, that might be this technical issue you are looking for.

I added more info:
Please don't talk about some user custom set of White Balance like Fluorescent or Cloudy or bla-bla

Is not only about the 589nm of sodium (1.) because also the halogen lamps (2.) are white.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
I added more info:
Please don't talk about some user custom set of White Balance like Fluorescent or Cloudy or bla-bla

Is not only about the 589nm of sodium (1.) because also the halogen lamps (2.) are white.

enjoy,
Mtz
Not all halogen lamps are the same and I think you know it.
What temperature white do you seek to be the white that you're looking for?
Is your monitor also calibrated to show you that white as the white that you're looking for?

For example, take two models of Osram headlight lamps:
Original Line: 3200K
Night Breaker Plus: 3500K

The Night Breaker Plus looks a lot whiter to your eye than the Original Line model. Same thing is when you put any HID headlight lamp next to a halogen one. That's because they typically run between 4100K and 5000K (although there are models above 6000K).
Sun is 6000K.
So no matter what halogen lamp you have, it will be a lot more yellowish-reddish than what the sun is.

And no matter how your camera sees the white, it doesn't change the amount of details that it catches.

As to whether a camera sees your yellow lights as white is down to the firmware and processing chip configuration. Either the camera is configured to try and compensate for the yellow light sources (and risk making a yellow/orange light to white by mistake) or keep the colour as it is.

No matter the temperature color, the Itronics night light is always white. And the day color is correct.
Please look again at the first screenshots to see the difference with full automatic settings.
And if I will make a pool, I am sure the FineVu will win.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
No matter the temperature color, the Itronics night light is always white. And the day color is correct.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'd like to know how they do this also, I guess it's their advantage at the moment

It's a white balance issue. Their auto system seems to change more readily than others. Whether this produces an inaccurate image depends on how easily the camera is fooled by scenes of one predominant colour

Mtz said:
Please look again at the first screenshots to see the difference with full automatic settings.
And if I will make a pool, I am sure the FineVu will win.

enjoy,
Mtz
Of the two first images side by side, which one has the sky in a more correct color?
Also, the left one has just a darker image in overall, so have to take that also into account.

Well, I would just say that it is simple and poor in terms of photography, but good looking for dash cam "auto white balance".

They are choosing the brightest part of the image as the point that is white.

Can you explain more how is possible this? I some setup in the firmware like: bright=white, but how?

enjoy,
Mtz

Back