F1 Firmware

It's a little dark on the second frame. In the next MOD there will be new tables of metering.

Don't suppose you have a way of using a faster shutter speed at the expense of higher ISO?

The F1 is good at high ISO, as a dashcam the shutter speed is far more often the limitation on readability of plates so I've always thought the balance between ISO/shutter speed is wrong for dashcam use...

Don't suppose you have a way of using a faster shutter speed at the expense of higher ISO?

The F1 is good at high ISO, as a dashcam the shutter speed is far more often the limitation on readability of plates so I've always thought the balance between ISO/shutter speed is wrong for dashcam use...
I think that the F2.8 lens is the prime factor in shutter speed on the F1, compared to the F1.6-F1.8 we commonly see in dashcams

I think that the F2.8 lens is the prime factor in shutter speed on the F1, compared to the F1.6-F1.8 we commonly see in dashcams
Everything adds up, an F2.8 isn't ideal for a dashcam but it is only one of the factors and the loss of shutter speed resulting from it can be cancelled out by an increase in ISO. With most sensors that would result in too much noise, but I'm not sure that is the case with the F1 sensor. I can't tell what ISO it is actually using so this only a guess.

MOD#1.3 sample video
4k 30fps 100Mbps

1 minute / 720MB original file: https://mega.nz/#!P8QG1QYT!Z9Zrj56rUgzACa8UiNAcIyJDrDxhLFRNH6skDoPFHcY

The 8MP IMX317 sensor has a wide dynamic range which is exploited well by this beta FW.

4k original frames:
y4mY7IkYDcWcBLUW06RjGSStCfnsKW-3F62FFQPdANVs-iviqzqh9w0lcyZJXySu1u8YxguVmEQQWpEszxj_OsK-uIkC_hNIT7EME0ZG2Ji28CN8-VWA9q1DsMP9-Q4Ljus_USwYT36Plv76zz5Q5wA3yZEWk1Su7EsustZGdLgAMZRk0EwS-QXg0dlJRRTJtC2htvl9bX7wr9Vp2PvW9fp2A

y4mKB3JutADbwDGXq6Pr41mB86UCzXf31HtQTcVOkuE7-Y0xQhUf38fEnoz-Hz1HOcArWxx5Ud8TkFYOmBfx684wwVDO7k1X5kqOsVhF1nZByHn1OPrGRqJWnog7T-JvFFo4NDaYusaCDd0Y-MqV88FVyYHcfMqNte4daaXcLtesbVTPcgtsvZQAIq-m4iU3IVZz-I0UhXmSrieQFLJwWZeVQ

For information, these comparative frames were recorded by another Viofo/GitUp camera, the A129 which I have running beta R4a FW (1080p 60fps 24Mbps). The visual representation of the scene is very different, with the F1 adopting a more neutral colour profile and broader exposure range. The A129 is punchier with more contrast and saturation.
y4me-mcVS27vbne2wECplwHNKD4xOBNZdLtpDrsr5RlVPg1gAEWKVkp6ASp3l4xnRrEfrowGEVq4YTj6l6zuul-8qUqTcuRuiCbv_cBgxJ5eaJvzb77d3JXoVZKJ0kXa5cjCLMOxgzyiwcDh3iCfu3iImQTbZ9bcizNyFVKEkcdD2Lp2CJgP53WkkI2iacX5tVe6UNIpdfpWbmP00iC-OZADg

y4mJu6Vm_6y3Ou0s2HN3bDAMHrBQBW6Sk6FKYYMDfym3rb7U2oE9OURkOUSUQtPwsOfK2oDNZd-PIEGZ0pVp-4tg-eoYg-q8VAe1jxbrXTIKVfJtkuUWi-RbEufUZe1w3_TT4m3I-G4qlssSao84ffDYhepC6MBB6NdCSqqvesqP3T-GGVIPHV2w86B20wAnhTrxGCNJ3LNLhjaxWq0C5K8sg

I made screenshots with two players and the result is different from your screenshot...
3.jpg
084300AA.MP4_20180926_171337.372.jpg084300AA.MP4_20180926_171351.514.jpg

Last edited:
I made screenshots with two players and the result is different from your screenshot...
I use PotPlayer for my screenshots. Exported source frames to JPEG. I admit your images look better. Not sure why they are different though.

In the VLC-player also the color is different, but the contrast is about the same...
vlcsnap-2018-09-26-17h39m36s741.jpg

I will look into why my screenshots look so different, and try both VLC and MPC. Until then I'll stop posting screenshots.

The visual representation of the scene is very different, with the F1 adopting a more neutral colour profile and broader exposure range. The A129 is punchier with more contrast and saturation.

Ambarella V Novatek has always been like this even at their respective default settings

I will look into why my screenshots look so different, and try both VLC and MPC. Until then I'll stop posting screenshots.
I checked on three players:
-MPC-HC
-Pot Player
-VLC
Screenshots are obtained plus or minus identical.
In the VLC-player slightly different color profile, but the contrast in all three screenshots is the same.

Its funny when the F1 came out and i saw footage from it, it dident appear that bad, but after you have been tweaking the settings it is clear it was pretty rough around the edges when it came out.

Its funny when the F1 came out and i saw footage from it, it dident appear that bad, but after you have been tweaking the settings it is clear it was pretty rough around the edges when it came out.

I don't think it was bad, just that now it is better

No by no means, but im surprised he have been able to do so much in such a short time.
I wanted a F1 since day #1 as i think it got to be the best camera option for making on-board footage from my little RC cars, would be even better if it had gopro 7 level EIS.
The innovv / mobius / joovuu i have tried only work if i drive the already slow car even slower and keep it under walking speed, the EIS of the F1 should be good enough to be able to drive at the usual speeds ( 10 - 15 km/h )

Back