F750 not functioning correctly?

Schizophonic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to see what else people think before going through Thinkware UK support.

The device was running fine and recording till about a month ago, it wasn't until recently I wanted to extra some data and noticed the footage was not on the memory card.

The first thing I noticed was that annoying voice not coming on when I turn the car on, it doesn't tell me how many 'incidents' it picked up and I thought I turned the voice off or turn it down.

The next thing was that I tried to pair up my mobile app with the device and once it picked up the wifi and connected the app kept telling me that 'inactive connection for 2 mins, connection closing' at that point it then my app kicks me out and I'm not making any connection to check any of the settings.

So come today when I get more time, to do more testing and fault finding I try to format my Thinkware MicroSD card and plug it into the device it behaves normal but after a bit of time I check the contents and its not recorded anything. I try to do a hard reset on the device or force format the device (using the format button) but no sign of the device performing anything.

I have updated the firmware before and tried to put the update files on the memory card, loaded it in the device and it said it found an update file and will update the system files. I let it do thing hoping it would clear up the bugs but nothings changed.

So it leads to me being the memory card issue, I grabbed an 1GB micro SD card, format it and same thing happened. When the memory card is empty it tells me memory card not suitable, resetting device and goes in a loop.

Now I can get another Micro SD card but its one of the things to test soon.
Is my device broken? Can you suggest what else to test?

try another memory card, 1gb card is too small so not unexpected to have issues with that
Will do. Just a side question, any cheap or quick mod to make this run off mains without having to plug everythibg into the car?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Right update , I put in a completely brand new microSDd card and it created the folder structure. After more trouble shooting I investigated the card and it did not record any new videos but when I put it into my laptop with a microSD card reader I loaded up the PC viewer and changed the default settings and plugged the card back in - it then started talking to me more which I thought was a promising sign but after trying to get my mobile android app to talk to the F750 it kept throwing this error up.

Screenshot_20160425_211008.png

I've tried 2 different android smart phones and both show the exact same error.

Going to raise a ticket with Thinkware UK.

If you are getting this problem with the SD card supplied by Thinkware then I suggest you request an exchange of the whole unit with your supplier.

I've gone back to the supplier to be do a replacement. Is through ebay. Should be okay right?

UPDATE:

My unit has been shipped off and back to the support guys at Thinkware UK. After some long email discussions trying to recover the device they concluded that my device was indeed bricked due to a corrupt memory card (thinkware).

When I hear the word brick it I would assume the device is completely corrupt but it was all powering up and getting GPS signal and recognising speed camera areas but not actually recording content onto the memory card. The thinkware guys said that there are many levels of devices being bricked and mine was 'half' way being bricked.

So now its up and running and I'm going to be careful more in the future when disconnecting the micro sd card and reinserting it.

UPDATE:

it was all powering up and getting GPS signal and recognising speed camera areas but not actually recording content onto the memory card. The thinkware guys said that there are many levels of devices being bricked and mine was 'half' way being bricked.

So now its up and running and I'm going to be careful more in the future when disconnecting the micro sd card and reinserting it.

I have this issue with my Dashcam, powers up, gets GPS and recognises speed cameras but doesn't record. It did work yesterday with no issues. Parking mode doesn't activate after the ignition is off, it did before and also the buttons freeze on the camera, they don't seem to do anything apart from power on and off. Only one blue LED is on and the camera even says continuous recording active. I thought if maybe a hardwiring issue but the unit behaves the same when plugged into the cig socket. I have formatted the Thinkware SD card and also reinstalled the firmware with no luck. I am currently emailing Thinkware support about this issue.

Last edited:
I have this issue with my Dashcam, powers up, gets GPS and recognises speed cameras but doesn't record. It did work yesterday with no issues. Parking mode doesn't activate after the ignition is off, it did before and also the buttons freeze on the camera, they don't seem to do anything apart from power on and off. Only one blue LED is on and the camera even says continuous recording active. I thought if maybe a hardwiring issue but the unit behaves the same when plugged into the cig socket. I have formatted the Thinkware SD card and also reinstalled the firmware with no luck. I am currently emailing Thinkware support about this issue.
Sounds like you got the same problem as me. Did you test if you used it after driving and recording there's no new footage?

If so it's a memory card problem. Thinkwareuk support always blame other manufactured micro sd cards other than there's. Did you by any chance take the card in a out while the camera was in operation?

Sounds like you got the same problem as me. Did you test if you used it after driving and recording there's no new footage?

If so it's a memory card problem. Thinkwareuk support always blame other manufactured micro sd cards other than there's. Did you by any chance take the card in a out while the camera was in operation?

Yep, tested afterwards and there are no recordings.

It's possible I took it out when the camera was in operation as it stays on after I turn off the ignition for parking mode.

How straight forward was the return and swap process?

they will do as much as they can with you via email to test and report back to see what happens.

In my experience after afew emails exchanged they agreed they want to see the device and take any video proof of the same device working. Take a picture of your serial number of the camera and they will want it sent back on its own (no mounts or anything) and once they've tested it (3-5 days) they will confirm in email it is indeed bricked or faulty.

they will do as much as they can with you via email to test and report back to see what happens.

In my experience after afew emails exchanged they agreed they want to see the device and take any video proof of the same device working. Take a picture of your serial number of the camera and they will want it sent back on its own (no mounts or anything) and once they've tested it (3-5 days) they will confirm in email it is indeed bricked or faulty.

Thanks, Thinkware UK support confirms that the front camera is indeed faulty and for me to contact my retailer for a replacement unit. Hopefully the racshop will accept a front camera return and replacement only as everything has already been professionally hardwired to my car!

Thanks, Thinkware UK support confirms that the front camera is indeed faulty and for me to contact my retailer for a replacement unit. Hopefully the racshop will accept a front camera return and replacement only as everything has already been professionally hardwired to my car!
Just a note. I contacted two UK thinkware support teams. The first one I got was from the thinkware websites and apparently they deal with various models and 'read off a script' I've been told. The second I was told was from my eBay reseller and they seemed more technical with the information I gave them. I don't know who or how they are authorised for a RMA. Anyway if racshop can issue you a replacement that's easier than my route I took.

I bought my F750 from RAC Shop on Black Friday. The price was great but the service terrible. In the end I decided not to pursue my fault claim because it was that one of the front LEDs was broken but I had decided that I didn't want the light and so disabled it. I hope that Slick has a better experience with RAC Shop than I did!

Called RAC following the email I sent them requesting a return. They have forwarded it to the manufacturer, so looks I will liaise direct with them with regards to the return, it looks like it's the second Thinkware UK team who can process returns that Schizophonic mentioned (I had called them too about my issue but not had a call back yet)

Hopefully a quick turnaround and that I am up and running soon as not fully tested the parking mode function as of yet!

Received my camera back today, my old one was faulty so got a new one. It works really well compared to the last one! I bypassed chasing RAC for updates and spoke direct to Thinkware. Thanks for everyones help on here!

Back