First new dashcam in a while

MedicalFlyer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius C Lens, Mini 0906, SG9663DC Pro, A229 Plus
Hi All,
Been a while since I've posted round these parts but given how reliable my old SG9663DC has been I've not really paid much attention to what's new on the block. I've probably not checked the SG in over a year but it always starts up and enters parking mode without any fuss. Will have to give it a format and reset before I drop the car off and leave the box for the next owner.

Anyway, I'm changing my car in the next few days and having done a very tidy job on my last install I don't want to risk breaking things before I trade it in. The cables are routed properly behind airbags and the rear cable is feed through to the tailgate via the rear washer hose tube and trying to extract it again may be problematic. I could get the cameras out and just hide any evidence of the cables but I'd rather just leave it be and fit up a new one in a month or so when I've got the money for it. A Good reason to look in to newer and better things as the sensors have surely improved. I just missed a deal on a free cheapy Nextbase install from the dealer which would've done for a while.

The Viofo cams seem to be a new favourite now it seems SG has gone quiet (a big loss to the dashcam community as they always put quality and customer service first). I'm looking at the A229 Plus as the Pro doesn't seem worth the extra. Would this be a good buy or is there anything else similarly priced and supported anyone would recommend?
Would like dual 1440 (60fps if poss) and parking mode with 5Ghz wifi (assuming it actually transfers reasonably unlike the 2.4 on the SG unit)
I'd love to go 4 channel but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of those without a much higher price. I might look at tapping some power from the boot later on and fit some basic side views up.

Yeah with the death of Jokiin SG slowed right down.

You will want to look for starvis 2 bases systems, SO IMX 675 for 1440p sensors and IMX678 for 4K sensor.

I am currently testing / beating on a 4 channel system, in the form of the Vantrue N5, so far not really any problems with it but it only have 1 of the new sensors ( 1440p ) in the front camera.
Also it is a 2 in 1 times 2 system, so having both front + interior camera in the came unit is a challenge in regard to installing it, in my car the ideal place right in front of the mirror, if i put it there the interior camera will mainly have the mirror in the frame.
In the back in my little 5 door hatchback no problems having 2 camera in 1 unit, i think in general 2 in 1 is not really a issue back there in any car shape.

Currently wifi transfer speeds have picked up with 5 GHZ, so you can DL a fole to the phone faster then it took you to generate, i personally still prefer the old way putting the memory card in my card reader, but still nice to know the option is there.

4 channel systems with 4 individual cameras, that do not exist as far as i know, the N5 do give some view out the side windows, but it is absolutely not something i would bet anything on.

Like yourself I like to mount it up behind the rear view if possible. Explains why the SG hasn't been touched in forever as I can't see it at all and just listen for the start up beeps and know something's up if it doesn't go off or starts warning me about something. I keep a USB-C reader in the car that works with my phone but 5ghz would be nice for quickly getting a few bits off.

I loved the size and wedge form factor of the SG as it can be hidden away nicely. Seems to be plenty of positive response to the current Viofo range around so hopefully they're filling the gap SG left.

The A229 Plus on their site is a pretty good price with hardwire kit, taps CPL, and 256GB card. Honey came up with a code and makes it all £236 delivered assuming I don't get stung by customs.

Yeah. I have tested a few viofo cameras. and it have been as easy as testing SG cameras, nothing big and the little stuff get fixed along the way.
wedge shaped cameras are also my favorite form factor

Back