FOXEER LEGEND 3: 4k/30 Ambarella A12S75 / Sony IMX117 1/2.3 Inch 12MP - ANY GOOD FOR DASHCAM?

I asked Foxeer, they tell me they have to change the board? Why? Joovuu and Mobius have this, and we can simply swap batts with caps....?!?!

My understanding is that the ability for a camera to operate off a super-capacitor is simply a function of how the firmware handles the shutdown/filesaving procedure. I'm sure @jokiin can verify if that notion is correct.

That's basically what I learned when I spent months experimenting with installing super-capacitors in a camera not designed for it. So, for example, if you flash a G1W camera with firmware from the G1W-C you can get the G1W to work with super-caps instead of the battery pack.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the ability for a camera to operate off a super-capacitor is simply a function of how the firmware handles the shutdown/filesaving procedure. I'm sure @jokiin can verify if that notion is correct.

That's basically what I learned when I spent months experimenting with installing super-capacitors in a camera not designed for it. So, for example, if you flash a G1W camera with firmware from the G1W-C you can get the G1W to work with super-caps instead of the battery pack.

Right, that is also how I always got that, so it's a firmware thingie, no need to change anything on the pcb.

Then why would Foxeer say that???

The only thing I can come up with is maybe because then they would want to use another connector?

Last edited:
This seems like a very cool camera with a lot of potential. It's a shame that it is not optimized for use as a dash cam.
I don't understand Foxeer's marketing logic since it would open up a whole new sales opportunity for their cameras without having to do much to make it happen.

This seems like a very cool camera with a lot of potential. It's a shame that it is not optimized for use as a dash cam.
I don't understand Foxeer's marketing logic since it would open up a whole new sales opportunity for their cameras without having to do much to make it happen.

Yeah, I try to make that clear to them every chance I get, but it would seem they just don't see it, or just don't care?

I asked Foxeer, they tell me they have to change the board? Why? Joovuu and Mobius have this, and we can simply swap batts with caps....?!?!

JooVuu was designed from the start this way. Mobius did have to alter the circuit to make caps workable, but they did this early in production- the oldest versions of Mobius can't use the cap conversion while most versions can. From my understanding it is not a tough thing to do for a manufacturer which is why I can't understand that it's not happening :(

Phil

JooVuu was designed from the start this way. Mobius did have to alter the circuit to make caps workable, but they did this early in production- the oldest versions of Mobius can't use the cap conversion while most versions can. From my understanding it is not a tough thing to do for a manufacturer which is why I can't understand that it's not happening :(

Phil

I have a first generation V1 pcb Mobius that works fine with super-capacitors.

I have a first generation V1 pcb Mobius that works fine with super-capacitors.

Could be just be my aging memory then, but I was sure that there was a board change made when the cap conversion came out. Too bad a new SD card can't fix my brain's memory :rolleyes:

Phil

that's a large part of what's needed and will get you the basic functionality, it also needs an RTC cell if you want to keep time/date settings beyond a few days, the Supercaps (and RTC if used) also need an appropriately designed power circuit to function correctly, the design to suit a battery installation is not always ideal but can sometimes work

that's a large part of what's needed and will get you the basic functionality, it also needs an RTC cell if you want to keep time/date settings beyond a few days, the Supercaps (and RTC if used) also need an appropriately designed power circuit to function correctly, the design to suit a battery installation is not always ideal but can sometimes work

Thanks. Interestingly, the Mobius keeps the date and time for a week to ten days without an RTC cell. Then again, the camera has no screen, beeps or other current draining functions found on other cams.

Thanks. Interestingly, the Mobius keeps the date and time for a week to ten days without an RTC cell. Then again, the camera has no screen, beeps or other current draining functions found on other cams.

a lot of the things the Mobius does better than others come down to how simple it is, not always a good thing to have all the bells and whistles

a lot of the things the Mobius does better than others come down to how simple it is, not always a good thing to have all the bells and whistles

The longer I've owned and used dash cams the fewer bells and whistles I want. Image quality and absolute reliability are what I'm after. Maybe add a screen, logical menu tree and a good mounting scheme and I'm happy.

The longer I owned and used dash cams the fewer bells and whistles I want. Image quality and absolute reliability are what I'm after. Maybe add a screen, logical menu tree and a good mounting scheme and I'm happy.

yeah unfortunately that's something people often don't find out until after they've bought into the marketing spiel of the 'latest and greatest'

I really like to see some footage from the 4K CCTV cameras out there, without IR aid for night footage.

BUT ! if its still the same small sensors then i doubt it even if the sensor are just 8 mpix, but if they upped to sensor size to accommodate bigger pixels, than that would be nice.

with the IMX 117 in there, night time footage will not be stellar by a long shot, but if you can make do with lights ( head lights - rear lights - street lights - intersection lights and if there lane markings, then you could make do )

I did say in the SJ7 sub forum i could make do with the performance of it for night dashcam footage, but i also have a rather special point of view on night performance.

So yeah a IMX 291 camera will see a lot more, but really that more are not really that useful as documentation, so you are left with those dawn and dusk times where the IMX 291 off course will work a little better as light fade in or out.

On the other hand while it is to the bone footage from a IMX 117 sensor, then you still do get all the big things logged, but peripheral view will be 0 compared to IMX 291.

Off course you should go for a IMX 291 camera, but in a pinch i would not feel too bad putting a IMX 117 camera in the windscreen.

OK guys, thanks for the input about the supercaps thingie, so I conclude that Foxeer may be correct about needing to change the board.... thats a bit of a dissapointment, but....

you know me, I'm gonna try anyways....

I've asked for a loose battery connector so I can try with one of my Mobius or Joovuu X cap..... and a set of top/bottom housing to make a "cool" version. I'm gonna try a micro fan as well. (Remember my modded L2? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/foxeer-legend-2-beta-f-w.20893/#post-277273)

Fingers crossed... Wish me luck!

(don't expect a report soon, I dont have the parts yet, nor the scematics, but I will try get it all)

I really like to see some footage from the 4K CCTV cameras out there, without IR aid for night footage.

I just got my 4k L3, but the IR filter stays ON ..... well, for now....

35.gif

hehe it is the more cctv dedicated sensors i am interested in, if i wanted to see IMX 117 i could just put another lens on the SJ7 in a few minutes.

I do believe i saw some Sony 4K starvis sensors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
susobarral Foxeer 1
dirkzelf Foxeer 22
susobarral Foxeer 26
Back