Front and rear dash cam with parking mode. How does it work?

Jez

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I will spend some time researching the cameras, so do not recommend cameras right now.

I have a few very quick questions about how parking mode works with dash cams.

I have seen the Lukas 290, and the instructions are available here. http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/board.php?bo_table=eng_automanual&wr_id=10

Question 1: The red wire is connected to an ignition-switched fuse, and the yellow to a permanently live fuse?

Question 2: So when the engine is on, the dashcam always turns on. When the engine is off, the dashcam is on until the battery voltage drops?

So this could be used with two separate dash cams...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262001137266
Question 3: But what is the connector for on this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261983009491
Question 4: I still need to buy cameras with parking mode?

Question 5: Now I only need to decide whether I want two single dashcams or one 2 channel system? What are the benefits of each?

Thank you in advance

Jeremy

Answers to 4 and 5 would be really appreciated, then I can start researching cameras :)

Be advised in the UK you proberly have a lot of days with rain, therefor your windows will have droplets on them that will render the view from the camera mute in some degree.
Same with frost - dew - snow they will all to some degree block the view from the cameras xx days of the year.

So for home i have a 1080p cctv camera aimed at my car where it is parked, and i might in the future use parking mode on dashcam, but its not somthing i will rely much on since i am over here in Denmark with weather pretty similar to the UK weather.

If i was in a real bind one day and really wished i had parking mode, i will just use my USB power bank to power the camera on that one occation.

For real full time parking mode i will prefer to get my car battery upgraded with a second one, that way i still have the original small battery ( small car - small battery ) and then a larger battery in the boot to power dashcams and what not.

#3 thats for lukas dashcams, they and a fjew others use 12 volts to the camera, most use USB 5 volts
#4 you might need parking mode if there is a lot of vandals in your area, or your car get banged up at the parking lot when you are shopping.
Preferred is the cameras that prebuffer video so you have footage from 5- 10 seconds before the event that set off the camera, ATM only some dashcams have this, the rest have parkingmode too but not with prebuffered video.

#5 I use seperate dashcams, the current dual systems still have a fjew minor issues, not least for me ther design with large front units, so i wait for dual systems with 2 small cameras on a wire and a main unit with or without a screen & wifi i can stash under my dashbord out of sight.
I can not be bothered with taking my cameras out of the car every time i park, so for me stealthy ( small size & color ) cameras is a must.

The little mobius is much used for a rear camera,
If your car dont have a wiper on rear window you might need to give that window some form of nano "stuff" treatment to make rain run off it faster.

I have wiper on my rear window and it go all the way to the top of the window where my mobius is mounted.

PS. if you go with parking mode and a BDP ( Battery Discharge Preventer ) and your cameras is on standby the 7 houres you work, and the 7 houres you are parked at home, you will need to drive "a lot" every day to keep your car battery topped up.
Dashcams dont use much power, but in time it all add up, allso you wanna be sure the generatoor and battery in your car perform optimal, otherwise it will result in shorter time for your cameras before the BDP cut power to them so you are still able to turn your car on for the next drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
kamkar...thank you so much for your help. Very informative answers :)

I will take into account everything you mentioned in your post when researching cameras.

A couple questions:

The main reason I would like parking mode is when I am parking in a town centre/shops/supermarkets. If I get the lukas 290 (bpd), I think I can just press the red button to turn it off when parked at home or at work? And if I do not, then the camera only runs until the battery gets to low voltage so I think it is not a problem?

I have not done proper research into cameras yet, but I have made a list of potential 2 channel and 1 channel cameras. But you mentioned you don't like the 2 channel systems because of size. What about these? They seem a reasonable size? Or you are more concerned about other problems with them?

-Blackvue DR650GW
-Thinkware F550
-Vico marcus 5
-Koonlung K1S

Thanks again,

Jeremy

DashCams can still record useful video when the screen is covered in rain droplets...
This is not the optimal conditions for my Mobius C2 in the rear. Rear window has a factory tint, and the Mobius is installed at the top away from the window. However, I think it does a great job nonetheless. Check out the area that is not covered by the wipers.

(BDP) Battery discharge prevention methods vary depending on the device or camera.

On my Lukas 7200, the BDP was built it. the user needs to connect the power lead to both accessory (on with ignition) and battery (always on/parking mode). Most cameras that connect this way will give you options on how low it will let the battery will discharge. The camera will also automatically switch between parking and always mode dependent on the presence of the accessory power. Some cameras will also create separate folders for parking and always mode.

I also have a panorama and a mini 0805 plugged into a multi safer BDP. You connect the BDP just as described above. You would then plug in your cameras into the BDP. For cameras without a true parking mode, you can leave them on motion detect mode which will obviously record when motion is detected (which is most likely all the time when in moving traffic). The camera will still record in this fashion when you’re parked until the BDP cuts off power when voltage drops at a specified value.

To make things even more confusing, cameras vary greatly at their effectiveness when detecting motion. My panorama pre-buffers which means it records for a few seconds before motion is detected. It’s very, very good. My mini on the other hand does not pre-buffer which means that when parked, a passing car may make it 1/3 into the frame before it starts to record. Not great but it’s still much better than nothing.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I still have a lot of research to do before I purchase but it's all helpful information

jokiin - thank you for your recommendation. I also have a list of 1 channel cameras which I will shorten and then post a thread about in the next few days.

Would you currently recommend two 1 channel cameras over a 2 channel system? Are there any discreet 2 channel systems expected to come out soon that will be better than what is currently on the market?

Gabacho - thankyou, I am considering a mobius for the rear camera. However, the mobius was released 2 years ago. Is there no current replacement of a similar price or slightly more?

abarth - I have seen the other Lukas cameras, eg. Lukas 7950WD. I think this also has built in parking mode so does not need the Lukas-290?

This sounds ideal but then may be a problem if I have a front camera with BDP built in and the rear camera without it built in!

I googled "true parking mode" and your post pops up!

"I'd consider cameras with pre-buffered motion and/or g-sensor recording to be "true" parking mode cameras."

But then you say you've done this: "I do have a mini 0805 on motion-detect mode hardwired to a battery discharge prevention device. and in this capacity, it's pretty darn good... I know it's not recommended but it's been good so far."

Why is this not recommended?

But basically, if I want true parking mode, I need a camera that pre buffers motion, and install it with a BDP (unless it has its own built in)?

Thanks again everyone, almost there :)

Would you currently recommend two 1 channel cameras over a 2 channel system? Are there any discreet 2 channel systems expected to come out soon that will be better than what is currently on the market?

I certainly would. Redundancy is always good and reliability is much higher with 2 separate systems.

abarth - I have seen the other Lukas cameras, eg. Lukas 7950WD. I think this also has built in parking mode so does not need the Lukas-290?

All of the Lukas cams that are labeled as having built in parking mode do not require a separate BDP device.

This sounds ideal but then may be a problem if I have a front camera with BDP built in and the rear camera without it built in!

I googled "true parking mode" and your post pops up!

"I'd consider cameras with pre-buffered motion and/or g-sensor recording to be "true" parking mode cameras."

But then you say you've done this: "I do have a mini 0805 on motion-detect mode hardwired to a battery discharge prevention device. and in this capacity, it's pretty darn good... I know it's not recommended but it's been good so far."

Why is this not recommended?

The biggest factor for me stating that was that the mini 080x series has a battery. A super capacitor is a lot less volatile than a LiPo battery in a device running all day in a potentially hot environment.

But basically, if I want true parking mode, I need a camera that pre buffers motion, and install it with a BDP (unless it has its own built in)?

Yup!

... if I want true parking mode, I need a camera that pre buffers motion, and install it with a BDP...

I haven't bothered with BDP. When I leave my SGZC12RC (which is permanently in buffered motion detect mode) running overnight, or in a supermarket car park, it's powered by an external USB power bank.

Thanks very much for your help guys :) A few more questions though!

russ, how have you wired your camera to a usb power bank? And why do you have two mobius cameras?..lol

abarth...you're being too helpful...so I have to ask you a few more questions!

1. Why do you also have three cameras? (or four!? you mentioned the panorama as well?)

2. Will all the single channel dashcams have a power cable long enough to be used as a rear camera, with the cable running to behind the glovebox?

3. Why did you get a multi safer BDP instead of the lukas 290?

4. Why does a BDP allow you to set the cut-off voltage? eg. 11.8, 12, 12.2 volts. Is this just to allow a higher margin of safety? And maybe for an older battery it is better to set it higher?

5. Some of the BPDs have one female cigarette socket..can they all be used with a splitter and then two cameras? (eg. the multi-safer only has one socket)

So I think I'm going to get the following:

-1 camera for front with capacitor battery and parking mode
-1 camera for rear (maybe with parking mode)
-BPD to wire up the front camera and possibly the rear

Thanks again everyone

russ, how have you wired your camera to a usb power bank? And why do you have two mobius cameras?..lol

With the SGZC12RC, sited next to it's 12v power socket is a Micro USB socket. It's primary purpose is as a factory service port. It's secondary use is as a 5v power input, as documented by @niko in several videos.

When I start the car, the 12v supply plugged into the lighter socket charges the capacitors, & powers the camera until I switch off the engine. When parked away from home, I then press the power switch on my external power bank, & the camera continues recording.

When I return to the car, I switch off the power bank as soon as I start the engine.

My two Mobius cams provided front & rear cover. I recently decided that I wanted a dashcam with buffered motion & g-sensing, hence the SGZC12RC. The previously front mounted Mobius has now joined the rear mounted Mobius, but faces forward to provide some lateral cover...

image.jpg

Thanks Russ. Why haven't you installed a bpd instead of the power bank?

Thanks Russ. Why haven't you installed a bpd instead of the power bank?
I already have a power bank, so I'm just getting value from it. My Anker Astro E4 powers the cam for up to 18 hours, which is plenty for my needs.

A BDP will shut down once the set cutoff is reached, say 12.4V, which may not allow many hours of recording time in Winter, depending on the capacity, age & condition of the car battery.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, I guess the difference with a BDP is that it should be automatic. That's a nice alternative though...and a beast of a power bank!

So you have the power bank plugged into a cigarette socket so that when you drive it charges up again?

Also Russ...that camera you've got, the "SGZC12RC". It's not even listed on the dash cam comparison page on this site lol. Why did you choose it?

Looks like my research better extend past the comparison page here...I've seen there's two other street guardian models I didn't know about.

I already have a power bank, so I'm just getting value from it. My Anker Astro E4 powers the cam for up to 18 hours, which is plenty for my needs.

A BDP will shut down once the set cutoff is reached, say 12.4V, which may not allow many hours of recording time in Winter, depending on the capacity, age & condition of the car battery.

That’s pretty clever. Great alternative to using a BDP. It’s great that the X1 has 2 power inputs.

Also Russ...that camera you've got, the "SGZC12RC". It's not even listed on the dash cam comparison page on this site lol. Why did you choose it?

Looks like my research better extend past the comparison page here...I've seen there's two other street guardian models I didn't know about.

SGZC12RC=panorama X1

:)

So you have the power bank plugged into a cigarette socket so that when you drive it charges up again?

No. Passthrough charging shortens the lifespan of a power bank. I recently picked up a PowerAdd 10,000mAh power bank for £10, so while the Anker is being charged via mains power (around 7 hours), the PowerAdd can take over if required.

Last edited:
Back