G1W Novatek 96650 WDR F1.6 H.264 MOV 15Mbps GPS Dash Cam DVR

I bought this camera, thanks for your work and original .mov videos!

Keep the good work :D

I used an AC to USB 2.1A charger so that I could leave the camera recording overnight, in my office, to fill up the 32GB card and test Looping and whether I'd get 'Memory Errors' using the Transcend TS32GUSDU1E card.

I started continuous recording on 2013-12-07 @ 5pm and the following morning of 2013-12-08 @ 6:30am, I connected to the PC and found that:
1) The card was 'full' and the oldest files had been deleted due to Looping
2) There's a buffer that repeats the last few seconds of the previous file as the first few seconds of the new file.
3) WDR works well as either lights in room are turned ON & OFF or camera is pointed towards areas with different light intensities.
4) the Audio and Video clarity are perfect.

I checked the 'normal' folder for the 7th, it was empty, all files had been deleted to make room for files for the 8th. The 'locked' folder contents were still there.
I checked the 'normal' folder for the 8th, the earliest file was @ 01:20, meaning earlier files from the 8th had been deleted to make room, etc.

I performed more tests to create some locked files and found new locked files while the 'normal folder for the 8th had had the 4 oldest files deleted to make room, etc.

Therefore, Looping is working, without any errors (so far).

All recording was 1080p with Audio, WDR, Auto Start all ON and with LED, G-Force both OFF.

I'll leave the recording ON and check again tomorrow morning.
===========================================

Questions that may only be answered after a very long time:
1) Will the empty folders eventually be deleted by the camera or will they have to be deleted manually?
2) Could an excess of empty folders cause a 'memory error'?

Excellent write up so far jwc! I've just come back from a weekend in Paris so hopefully mine is waiting for me at work (I was hoping to take it there to capture the crazy Paris drivers but oh well!)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Update: It was waiting for me at work! Black model running the latest firmware! :)

In my G1W if I press "mode" during recording - mute microphone, if I press again - unmute, but If I press "M" button during recording (menu button in upper side of Camera near to power button) then locking the current recorded file.?????
in other side, in my G1W no option to switch OFF the WDR. In menu is only one choise - WDR ON.???? some bug maybe.
Quality of night recording is amazing, daylight recording - excellent quality but in my other not HD cam picture is for shade lighter in daylight rec.

@total
The two Instructions threads which I posted were for my camera. I see now that I should have added the following note:
Firmware 20131017

May be different for other firmware versions and/or manufacturers.

Purchased from Baiklov, full retail packaging, sticker "P1309BLACK G1W".

and I have no way to mute/unmute audio while recording, I have to choose the setting in the Menu.
I can turn WDR ON/OFF but there's another similar setting HDR which is permanently ON.

What firmware do you have?

I saw your other post, you have different firmware.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have an older firmware, my Cam is brown with blue front color, camming in orange box, purshade from saddle electronic - AliExpress $56, I'm sattisfaed, no blur in right side, audio is not bad, but little quetly when peproducing in PC, i have choise to type me plate number with 6 caracters, i can tell more after fiew days when i tested bether

I don't have an option to enter a plate number but that may be because I can't access the config settings when connected to the PC, and the camera doesn't have a keyboard :D

I don't have an option to enter a plate number but that may be because I can't access the config settings when connected to the PC, and the camera doesn't have a keyboard :D

it's either in the menu or not, the plate number is entered from the camera, not the PC

OK, I don't have it then, no problem (or should I care?)

Must be :D

That option is an toy if ask me

Could someone upload a .mov 720p@60fps video? to see the quality difference with 1080p@30fps

Could someone upload a .mov 720p@60fps video? to see the quality difference with 1080p@30fps

I was going to upload some, but it's not even worthwhile. The 720/60 is like a downsized 1080 with added blur and pixelation. In no way would the 60 frames, which I'm not convinced it records properly, would convince to use this setting instead of the 1080/30.

EDIT: Take a look. Resolution and Sharpness are no comparison. It's difficult to see on mobile, but look at 'Matrix' it's nearly illegible at 720, and looks like it been falsely sharpened. Also, look at the yellow billboard in the distance. It's a blob at 720.

1080:
bnusYTe.jpg

720:
VOUUmVu.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to upload some, but it's not even worthwhile. The 720/60 is like a downsized 1080 with added blur and pixelation. In no way would the 60 frames, which I'm not convinced it records properly, would convince to use this setting instead of the 1080/30.

EDIT: Take a look. Resolution and Sharpness are no comparison. It's difficult to see on mobile, but look at 'Matrix' it's nearly illegible at 720, and looks like it been falsely sharpened. Also, look at the yellow billboard in the distance. It's a blob at 720.
Thanks for the clarification and yeah, 720p looks too poor :S

My G1W was working great yesterday and now I can't get it to turn on. Today I was installing the G1W on a different mount, and I may have pressed buttons in the process by accident, but when I was going to align the camera I saw that the screen was not on and I could not get it to come on.
The back LED light was solid blue. Connecting it to the PC the screen also would not come on and the LED also remained solid blue. I tried resetting with no changes.

Any advice?

Those are just normal aliasing artifacts due to using the simplest downsizing algorithm, look at the power lines overhead. This always happens when converting to another resolution without anti-aliasing, which is probably too resource intensive for most dashcams.

KuoH

Hey. My favorite tech channel 'Techmoan' is checking out a lot of dashcams and makes reviews. Me and a few others were able with suggestions to make him test the camera. Maybe someone want to check it out :)

Yet another recommendation not to use Class 10 cards in this unit!

Back