Garmin Dash Cam Mini - what hardwire kit?

jesperss

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Have a Skoda Kamiq and will be installing using this method:

Hardwiring in the fuse box.

I'm a bit confused about what kit to buy - I'll purchase off of Amazon in the USA.

Any recommendations?

I believe it has the same twin 5volt USB adaptor as the 56 camera. Buy a 12v power socket & wire that into the car with its own fuse, 2amp max, 1amp will be enough (I have four 56 cameras which use about 1.4amps in total at maximum, with a 3amp panel circuit breaker, or a fuse will do). Use some cable ties and electrical tape to hold the adaptor in place permanently.

Panel circuit breakers
IMG_20201025_125736971.jpg

Last edited:
If you do not need or want parking mode then it is a simple matter of wiring into the fuse box, with an additional small inline fuse for the camera.

The car will most likely have a few main fuses, then a secondary fuse for this main sub circuit, then you add a third fuse of 1 to 2 amps for the camera. Off the shelf generic parts is all that is needed.

If you are using parking mode it is better to use an auxiliary battery and a DC-DC charger with the Garmin parking adaptor. You should avoid using the starter battery for parking mode, starter batteries are undersize and overworked on cars these days.

You could also add a solar charger to keep the auxiliary battery charged.

At the bottom of the photo are two DC-DC 9amp chargers (which can be connected in parallel as many as you like. These are older non smart chargers), just above is a MPPT solar charger (with custom heatsinks, for my own reasons) with Bluetooth data to your phone with 30 day history.
normal__MG_2513.jpg

Victron-data.jpg

If you want parking mode shove a battery (I have four 26Ah) in the car somewhere and DC-DC charger, preferably a more recent smart charger. It's not that difficult and you have a great auxiliary battery setup to run whatever you like, within reason!

Back