Garmin GDR35

I have downloaded the sample footage from Youtube in 1080 resolution webm format. Seems very impressive to me, day and night.

I cannot afford the GDR35D combination, and if I could, I would not know where to buy it. A pity.

However, wouldn`t it be a logical step for Garmin to integrate a lens into the back of some of their portable road GPS? People normally mount them to their windshields anyway, and they automatically switch on and off with ignition as DVRs do. And, obviously, they have very good and readable screens. I am sure that sooner or later we will see such products.

A dash camera is supposed to stay always on the windshield. A GPS navigation system not.
I had a GPS device and then a smartphone. After I bought the smartphone never used the GPS again. But if somebody like taxi driver or truck driver need GPS is better for them to use a dedicated device not the smartphone.
I don't see a future market for GPS devices, so why to make an expensive camera because of GPS navigation system which is not selling like few years ago?

enjoy,
Mtz

My GDR35 just arrived...no taxes or duty woot!

So far I like it, the menu's are in English by default and the voice is English with a Chinese accent. Simple to use so far, I'll post a review later tonight or tomorrow along with some video footage.

Here are some pics of the unit and menu screens:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7514_zps8ad57cf9.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7516_zps21a70c72.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7517_zps9194646f.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7518_zps608479a8.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7519_zps9a6c10d9.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7520_zpsa92fa00a.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7521_zpsf47796a6.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7522_zpse412e2e5.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7523_zpse174e1c8.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7525_zps94738161.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7526_zps587d95c8.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7527_zps06908585.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7528_zpsdc127a85.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7529_zps500206ac.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7530_zps7e1c3d07.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v335_invisiblehand_IMG_7531_zpsba7c837e.jpg

Here's a video

I'll link more videos once they’ve uploaded; the other videos were taken in my wife’s newer car so you can get a better sense of what the camera can do.
My car is 14 years old and there are thousands of small scratches in the windshield on both sides which distort light. So if you see the light bleeding, it’s the windshield not the camera.
In my car, night videos were horrible due to the windshield and the fact that my car’s headlights suck, but I thought it was pretty good in the other car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't notice this before in other gdr35, but look at every tree that passes by...

There is a lot of purple fringe! I have a background in Photograhy and maybe that is why I noticed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

I will look at other gdr35 videos in the day to see if this is common with this dashcam.

I'm hoping this issue is from your windshield.

lkwan78 said:
I hadn't notice this before in other gdr35, but look at every tree that passes by...

There is a lot of purple fringe! I have a background in Photograhy and maybe that is why I noticed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

I will look at other gdr35 videos in the day to see if this is common with this dashcam.

I'm hoping this issue is from your windshield.

We'll now that you've pointed that out I see it too. I'll go for drive in the other car, pretty sure its my windshield or the chemicals on it: RainX outside, Windex inside.

chenwaa123 said:
Here's a video

I'll link more videos once they’ve uploaded; the other videos were taken in my wife’s newer car so you can get a better sense of what the camera can do.
My car is 14 years old and there are thousands of small scratches in the windshield on both sides which distort light. So if you see the light bleeding, it’s the windshield not the camera.
In my car, night videos were horrible due to the windshield and the fact that my car’s headlights suck, but I thought it was pretty good in the other car.
Oak st Vancouver :lol:

monkeybb said:
chenwaa123, u have to update a firmware from 2.5 to 2.7

http://download.garmin.com/tw/download/ ... 5_v270.exe

The update is now on version 2.8 but I can't figure out how to update the unit.

I DL the file and unzip it to the Garmin folder on the SD card but the camera can't see the update file.

Anyone else out there had success with the update?

The directions on updating are poor because it says to do things that I cannot do, these options aren't available to me in the menu. Perhaps I need to update to a earlier version first, I'm on 2.5???

chenwaa123 said:
monkeybb said:

I DL the file and unzip it to the Garmin folder on the SD card but the camera can't see the update file.

The directions on updating are poor because it says to do things that I cannot do, these options aren't available to me in the menu. Perhaps I need to update to a earlier version first, I'm on 2.5???
the latest version for tw is 2.70 ! v2.8 is for sg version only.

monkeybb said:
chenwaa123 said:
monkeybb said:

the latest version for tw is 2.70 ! v2.8 is for sg version only.

You're awesome :D , thanks for correcting me. I didn't even think to look on the Taiwan site. Finally got it to update:

Since the web directions are poor for those who don't read the language here's how you update:

1. DL the correct file :lol:
2. Extract the zipped file to a folder on desktop.
3. Put your SD card in a reader so windows can see it.
4. Run the application you just unzipped. Weird Question marks will pop up, basically everything looks like this ????????????? Don't worry that's probably just a translation issue.
5. Make sure the drive you have the SD card on is selected.
6. Click ok.
7. After a few seconds the .bin files will be installed on the SD card.
8. Close the program and place card back in camera.
9. Make sure you have a power source plugged in to camera, then select update. After a few minutes the camera will turn off.
10. Reboot Camera and verify version in menu under "About"

now that u both have had it for a couple of weeks.

what are your opioions about it?

do u love it, or regret buying it?

how is the quality of the video?

can you either dropbox,google drive, rapidshare some a 5 min video so i can see it uncomrpessed by youtube!

thanks!

Question about mounting.
Is it easy attach/detach the camera from the ball mount?
Does the ball socket get loose after a number of detach cycles?

Thanks

walker said:
Question about mounting.
Is it easy attach/detach the camera from the ball mount?
Does the ball socket get loose after a number of detach cycles?

Thanks
Is it easy attach/detach the camera from the ball mount? (not easy to attach / detach cuz the ball mount is very tight.)
Does the ball socket get loose after a number of detach cycles? (i think the ball socket will getting loose after a number of detach cycles.)

Why doesn't Garmin just install a camera on their nuvi portable GPS's? That way you have GPS and dashcam all-in-one. Kill two birds with one stone.

royaltree1204 said:
Why doesn't Garmin just install a camera on their nuvi portable GPS's? That way you have GPS and dashcam all-in-one. Kill two birds with one stone.

there are a few challenges in doing this, a GPS is rarely used in a position that would be ideal for a camera which means you'd need some sort of pivoting lens to be able to point the GPS display at yourself but still be able to point the camera where you need it

recording HD video is also processor intensive, as is route calculations, which do you give priority to?

it has been done before but it's not simple, not yet anyway, it may get easier as hardware develops

monkeybb said:
not easy to attach / detach cuz the ball mount is very tight.
i think the ball socket will getting loose after a number of detach cycles.

So, do you leave the camera on windshield on the parking or detach it completely with the suction cup?
I mean the places where it is not safe to leave it on the windshield.

Thanks,

Back