Garmin GDR35

lkwan78 said:
now that u both have had it for a couple of weeks.

what are your opioions about it?

do u love it, or regret buying it?

how is the quality of the video?

can you either dropbox,google drive, rapidshare some a 5 min video so i can see it uncomrpessed by youtube!

thanks!

Overall I like the camera but Itronics would probably be a better deal for the money. This is the only camera I've used so its hard to compare.

The Good:

• The battery lasts about 1 hr, 40min which is perfect for my 45min commute, I don't like having wires powering unit & prefer the battery
  • The battery can be charged with any mini USB cable.
  • The unit is small enough that it doesn't get in my way.
  • The GPS and speed seem accurate.
  • The video quality seems fine to me, but again I've not used another product. I still have yet to capture any video where the sun is shining as it's rained for about 8 weeks straight :evil:
  • The suction cup mount works great, easy to take on and off.
  • Garmin is supporting the device with updates, atm anyway.

The Bad:

• I've been told the the viewing angle of the lens isn't very good, doesn't bother me but others might not like this.
  • The unit starts recording as soon as it's turned on, I wish there was a video on or video off mode.
  • The speaker isn't very sensitive, I don't use it so that doesn't matter to me but if you're looking for good audio you won't get it here.
  • Night is nothing special, I don't drive at night so again not an issue for me. I'll upload a night video as soon as the damn rain stops!!! I'll upload a video I took today (after update)

lkwan78 said:
can you either dropbox,google drive, rapidshare some a 5 min video so i can see it uncomrpessed by youtube!

Yes I can Google Drive the file. PM me with your email.

Heres a video taken yesterday, after the device update and from my other newer car without all the glass scratches.

Ignore the part where the camera fell....camera should not be moved when driving :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
new promotional video Garmin GDR35

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found out that the Garmin GDR35 is supposedly using the Zoran Coach C14P processor. This is one of the newer Zoran processors (Coach 16 is the newest).

I recently bought a GDR35 dual camera setup. The 8m cable between the two cameras is a bit too long for my needs, anyone know where I cold get a shorter length cable between the two cameras, looking for a length on 4 to 6 feet. I found out the plugs between the cameras are not the standard USB mini-b plugs, from what I could find on the net, the plugs appear to be USB mini-A plugs (white plug in the picture below)

usb-mini-plug.jpg

I just bought the GDR35D set in Taiwan, where I’ll be for another 3 weeks. I am taking it back to Holland with me. It only came with the Chinese user manual. However, it does have the English menus, so it should not be difficult to operate…One question I stll have to the whole forum is about using the Google maps in Europe. That is, as the unit records the video, it also stores GPS coordinates with the file. Once I want to run the file on my PC, using the Garmin PC tool, will it automatically pick-up and display the local google maps?
I appreciate your answers and support, thanks in advance!

the map data recorded pulls the corresponding map from Google for display in the viewer, unless they've done something drastically wrong (which I highly doubt) it will work anywhere in the world and give you the appropriate map display

Is it possible to use the speed camera alert feature in other counties?
I have tried different ways to load the local cameras data to my GDR35, but unsuccessfully

Thanks,

Thanks Jokiin and Walker, I am relieved now. I will have it tested over the next couple of days, as I don't have a car here. By the way, is there a suitable alternative charger (I guess the spec is 5V/2A on the camera input) that will work off the wall power plug or a notebookt?

I guess it would have to be a micro-B male USB plug on the camera side...

bojsa said:
By the way, is there a suitable alternative charger (I guess the spec is 5V/2A on the camera input) that will work off the wall power plug or a notebookt?
sure, you may use regular usb cable with mini b type plug to charge it from pc/notebook

Hi Walker, I just finished downloading your video. Looks great, thanks a lot!
It is just that the google map does not automatically adjust for different scales. Basically, when I started the movie, the map shows the whole journey and if I zoom-in, I have to manually reposition the map...Since Garmin are primarily a GPS navigation company, I would have expected them to integrate this BETTER in their PC tool, so that it would also be updating the map view to the video, regardless of the map scale selected.
Anyway, since this camera has not had a large scale release, they probably have not put too much effort into this. I do hope they would look into these comments and do something about it, as they would definitely get numerous such remarks from the "western clients"...

Hello, my unit came with the software version 2.70. I just downloaded version 2.90 from the Garmin Singapore website. I followed the instructions from chenwaa 123 literally, but the unit did not really respond in the way he listed the steps. It did run the update program and successfully finished it. On the card, it added garmin.bin file and setupGDR_20 application... But upon inserting the card back into the device and going to settings/software update/OK it keeps comimg back with a message "No update file found", "please go to our website and download the new version".
Does anyone have any idea what is the problem? I will try downloading from the Taiwan website now...

Hi All,
I just updated successfully using the Taiwan version softare update 2.90.

bojsa said:
Hi All,
I just updated successfully using the Taiwan version softare update 2.90.
After upgrade to 2.90 sometimes during recording there were problems with gps module functionality.
The rollback to version 2.70 has resolved this issue.

Hi,
I tested my new set yesterday here in Taiwan, day and night, looks great, so far so good! However, as I used both the cameras, front and rear, when I play the video back using the Garmin PC Tool 3.3.0.0, the rear camera view is displayed only in a small window in the bottom right corner of the main window. Demos I have seen show a split window, top and bottom (for front and rear view, respectively). Does anyone know how to adjust this aand get the split window horizontally?

Back