Garmin GDR35

bojsa,
One of the PC TOOL advantages - separate views of main and rear views.
The combined (split) view is available in any other player

I would like to purchase this mount.
images.aspx
http://www.iiyo.net/cproductdetail.aspx?sku=1190010

Hi! Right now I have the v2.70, so I downloaded the latest update and installed the .bin on my MicroSD card but the camera doesn't recognize it. What am I doing wrong?

Thx!

Tesla280684 said:
Hi! Right now I have the v2.70, so I downloaded the latest update and installed the .bin on my MicroSD card but the camera doesn't recognize it. What am I doing wrong?
Thx!
For now, you can install the appropriate regional firmware version only .
By product number you may identify it's regional version.
The product number is specified on bottom side of the box.

product number product name country
010-11900-00 GDR35 Taiwan updates http://my.garmin.com.tw/myGarmin/downlo ... 0-11900-00
010-11900-01 GDR35D Taiwan updates http://my.garmin.com.tw/myGarmin/downlo ... 0-11900-01
010-11900-02 GDR35 Singapore / Malaysia http://www.garmin.com.sg/products/onthe ... #updateTab
010-11900-03 GDR35 China
010-11900-04 GDR35 Russia / Ukraine
010-11900-05 GDR35D Japan
010-11900-10 GDR32 Japan japanise single cam version named GDR32

010-11901-00 GBC30 worldwide

Last edited by a moderator:
I was downloading the Singaporean FW and I did not think that. It worked!
Thank you very much walker

I consider upgrading from my F70 to a Garmin GDR35D. Maybe someone has any feedback regarding these questions?

- Ballmount sphere diameter? If it is 17mm, it should be the standard Garmin nüvi sphere mount, with a bunch of different accessories available. Maybe a nüvi owner can verify this?

- Can the camera be USB-mounted to a PC? If yes, what gets mounted? Only the SD memory, or a second device as well (the camera itself)?

- Can the video footage be watched with any player, or only with the Garmin PC software? Which video filename/format is used?

- Are the GPS logs accessible as separate files, or "hidden" within the video footage? If accessible, which filename/format?

- Could someone please post the directory/file structure of the SD card? (I would like to understand if the GDR35 has any similarities with nüvi units, which I am proficient with to a certain degree. I doubt that Garmin would rewrite all software functions from scratch...)

- Any *.GPX or *.GPI files visible? These could be the POI database for traffic cams, and if yes, using other POI/traffic cam databases might be possible.

- Can the screen be switched off, or does it have an auto-off mode?

- Can the microfone be permanently muted?

- Can the screen be switched to rear camera only? Does it remain in that state after reboot?

- Does the camera have an emergency button (write protection)?

- Does the camera clock synchronise automatically by GPS? In the menu screenshots above I see that at least the timezone has to be set manually.

- Any experience with radio interference?

- Any general problems yet? Recording failing, looping not working, temperature problems etc.?

Thanks,

Hans

I know answer for several questions:
- Ballmount sphere diameter? If it is 17mm, it should be the standard Garmin nüvi sphere mount, with a bunch of different accessories available. Maybe a nüvi owner can verify this?
STANDART GARMIN 17mm FOR GDR 35 AND GBC 30 CAMERAS.

- Can the camera be USB-mounted to a PC? If yes, what gets mounted? Only the SD memory, or a second device as well (the camera itself)?
NO, ONLY RUSSIAN/UKRAINIAN VARIANT CAN DO IT. AS SD MEMORY. STOCK FIRMWARE 3.00 CANNOT DO IT. IT IS PROMISED TO BE INTRODUCED IN 3.20 VERSION.

- Can the video footage be watched with any player, or only with the Garmin PC software? Which video filename/format is used?
ANY PLAYER. AVI FORMAT, H.264 CODEC. BEST CHOISE IS VLC PLAYER.

- Are the GPS logs accessible as separate files, or "hidden" within the video footage? If accessible, which filename/format?
LOGS ARE INSIDE AVI FILE. FORMAT IS CLOSED, BUT JAPANESE FRIENDS DECOMPILED AND PROVIDED FULL FORMAT SPECIFICATION. YOU CAN DEVELOP YOUR OWN CONVERTER.
kohada.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/car/1361680166/

- Could someone please post the directory/file structure of the SD card? (I would like to understand if the GDR35 has any similarities with nüvi units, which I am proficient with to a certain degree. I doubt that Garmin would rewrite all software functions from scratch...)
NO SIMILARITY. CAMERA IS MADE FROM SCRATCH.
ROOT FOLDER IS GARMIN\VIDEO AND GARMIN\SNAPSHOT

- Any *.GPX or *.GPI files visible? These could be the POI database for traffic cams, and if yes, using other POI/traffic cam databases might be possible.
NO. PROPRIETARY FORMAT IS USED. IT IS A TEXT, WITH CRC CHECKSUM AT THE END.

- Can the screen be switched off, or does it have an auto-off mode?
YES, AUTO-OFF MODE IS PRESENT.

- Can the microfone be permanently muted?
YES.

- Can the screen be switched to rear camera only?
YES.

Does it remain in that state after reboot?
NO. PROBABLY THIS IS AN ISSUE OF THE INITIAL VERSION.

- Does the camera have an emergency button (write protection)?
YES.

- Does the camera clock synchronise automatically by GPS? In the menu screenshots above I see that at least the timezone has to be set manually.
YES. YOU HAVE TO SET TIMEZONE ONLY.
WITHOUT SAT FIX VIDEO HAS DASHES ON TIMESTAMP AND OLD TIMES LIKE 1980/1/1 FOR FILES.

- Any experience with radio interference?
NO INFORMATION REGARDING THIS.

- Any general problems yet? Recording failing, looping not working, temperature problems etc.?
NO INFORMATION REGARDING THIS.

Hi all again, it's been couple of months since my last post. Been back to the NL and have enjoyed this wonderfull gadget. By the way, in July, my son took the car with the cameras to the south coast of France and Italy. The car was broken-in in Italy, but the whole event was recorded on the camera and the video copy was turned-in to the local police, which helped them identify and track the thief. Anyway, what is the highest micro SD card capacity that is compatrible with the system, as I got the 16GB card with it? Can I go higher?

Thanks Jokiin, what is the minimum class needed? Also, will it take the micro SDHC card?

Class4 and above should be fine, personally I'd just use Class10 though

And yes they are SDHC cards

Thanks again, one last question, Sandisk or Samsung?

From the manual:
8GB Class6 memory card above is recommended
Recommended microSDHC
ADATA-16G ADATA-32G Kingston-16G Phison-16G Phison-32G SanDisk-16G SanDisk-32G Team-16G Toshiba-16G Transcend-16G Transcend-32G
- 32 Gb is ok
- Samsung is not mentioned
- Sandisk is an official supplier for Garmin for years, I saw 8 Mb CF card from it in old units.
- Higher class is better.

I am currently using Samsung Class 10 32GB card. No problem at all. Previously with the same setup, I have used Sandisk Class 4, 32GB also no issue although the manual is asking at least class 6.

I have a question, since the manual that came with the GDR35D is not in English, and has no pictures of the symbols, I'm not sure about one. I noticed the other day that a symbol has popped-up on the screen. It looks like a balloon, and is right next to the green GPS strength level bars (in the photo). What is it? I've went through all the items in the settings, and I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
David

Attachments

• Garmin-GDR35.jpg
    Garmin-GDR35.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 15
It looks like a balloon, and is right next to the green GPS strength level bars (in the photo). What is it?
This is G-sensor indicator. It is shown when G-sensor is turned on, that means unit can react on impacts/collisions. If you set G-sensor sensitivity to Off, this symbol disappears from the screen.

Back