General questions: looping & temp

iphone20isbest

Reaction score
Country
United States
(this is a double post (mostly). I put the original in Rexing but no one is there. Moderator - if you need to delete one of them could you please delete the one in Rexing?)

Hello, I purchased and installed a Rexing V1P with a 64GB card.

1. What should the looping interval be set to? Do I even need to set it? I really just want to capture 'incidents' Occasionally I might want to capture an entire 60 minute trip. Any advice would be appreciated.
2. Do you leave your camera in the car all the time? My garage is about 15 degrees fahrenheit atm. Is it ok to leave overnight?

Thanks for your help. This is my first dashcam. Kind of excited about it.

Not familiar with your model but I leave my cam in the car because the coldest we get is 19F. My cam is good to 2F. Your manual should have the temperature your cam is safe to be kept in before having to take it indoors. As far as time settings you should be able to increase time up to 30 minutes max through the Mode menu.

I think most people use 3 minute segment size for looping, if your camera have a overlap between the file segments ( often 1 second ) then you can use registrator viewer to strip those out and get one large output file.

I leave all cameras in my car, at least 4 often 2-3 more ( tester ) summer or winter a good dashcam should be able to cope with that.

Dashcams using a lipo battery as emergency power are not optimal for extreme environment, capacitors are preferred.

My camera is 3min loops. I have not found a way to increase the time either though I have heard in units where you can change SD card you can adjust loop time. The camera I have can go to sub zero temperature but not recommended to keep it in that cold conditions.

1. What should the looping interval be set to? Do I even need to set it? I really just want to capture 'incidents' Occasionally I might want to capture an entire 60 minute trip. Any advice would be appreciated.
2. Do you leave your camera in the car all the time? My garage is about 15 degrees fahrenheit atm. Is it ok to leave overnight?

It's almost the social norm to use 3 minute segments, not too long, not too short. Your dashcam with your 64gb card can be left plugged in and "forgotten about" so to speak, then if an incident occurs just press the manual save button which protects your desired clip segment.

The low temp shouldn't affect the cam

My camera is 3min loops. I have not found a way to increase the time either though I have heard in units where you can change SD card you can adjust loop time. The camera I have can go to sub zero temperature but not recommended to keep it in that cold conditions.

What cam is it? not all cams have adjustable clip sizes

It's almost the social norm to use 3 minute segments, not too long, not too short. Your dashcam with your 64gb card can be left plugged in and "forgotten about" so to speak, then if an incident occurs just press the manual save button which protects your desired clip segment.

The low temp shouldn't affect the cam

What cam is it? not all cams have adjustable clip sizes

Power Acoustik. I found that you change loop time in LWDS setting. I was able to increase loop to 5 minutes.

Thanks for your help. This is my first dashcam. Kind of excited about it.

Welcome to DCT! I'm new too.

For your first question, I think it depends on a lot of different factors (as I am reading above). What I do is loop 1 minute clips. I do this because I have a channel on YouTube and I am dumping my dash cam daily. So my thought process really is; if I have a ton of 1 minute clips, hopefully, I'll capture the "action" at some point between 0:01 second and 0:59 seconds. Now obviously, I've had some action happen during the cut (between 0:59 seconds and 0:01 second, after it cuts to the new clip) - but this is fixed during editing when I stitch the clips together themselves. The reason I cut them so short is so if I have a clip with action in it, it's only 1 minute long, and it doesn't take up much space on my computer. If the action happened over a cut from the loop recording, I'd just import the next or prior clip (which would also only be one minute long). So at the MOST per incident, I have two clips to import. Also, I don't have to scroll through a 45 minute drive to find a 3-5 second "action" clip, which can seem daunting. I wish I had a better answer or advice for you, but I'm interested to read what other people say.

As far as temperature goes, I always take the dashcam inside, but I can tell you that I have had my dash cam in my windshield for 5 hours in 98 degree F sun, and it never overheated. I don't know if I'd leave it in the cold though, simply because of moisture in the air that may get into the car. Also interested to see what others say.

Hopefully you get your answers and you do what works best for you!
See you around the forums!

Last edited:
For the looping I have it on 10 mins, I feel it just makes it easier when looking for a clip (less items in the list)

I can just trim it if needed anyway.

Since getting my B1W with it's 1 minute clips, I'm becoming more inclined to like shorter clips than the 5 minute files I used to prefer. Trying to think it through, if a file is corrupted then shorter clips mean there's less time possibly being lost, yet having more files increases the odds of getting a corrupted file since there are more files :rolleyes:

I don't know that one is better than the other so probably just go with what you like as long as it's working well for you :cool:

Phil

Wow - thank you so much for your responses. What a truly friendly and helpful forum!

Doesn't everyone love 'dashcamming'...

I really enjoy it and can't believe I've just started.

Back