Good recommendations under $100?

Any good recommendations under $100? Need to replace my old VF300W that I bought from FoxOffer back in August of 2013. Finally gave in and semi-stopped working.

Looking for a dashcam that has:
-Good video at day and night
-Not too big/noticeable
-A good brand and support if possible

If you need a good, fully polished FW, then Mobius is a good choice, with outstanding support.
B40 / A118 is also a great little camera, but as per performance, Mobius is a step ahead due to much wider settings options.
If your budget allows Mini 0806, then go for it, but you have to remember, you need to be actively monitoring for at least few month DasCamTalk Mini 0806 thread for new firmware releases, because there are still some bugs need to be fixed, which I am sure will be sorted out at some stage.

It's really hard to beat the Mobius for a super discreet, super reliable, highly configurable, extremely versatile and very affordable camera. There's also nothing quite like it on the market in terms of ongoing developer support (regular firmware updates/improvements/new features), hardware improvements, user community and spare/accessory parts availability.

I use a small LCD monitor to aim the Mobius in my vehicle and after that I let it do its thing for weeks or months at a time and simply pop the card out if I need or want the video. I have a super-capacitor in the ones I use in my vehicle, which I consider a "requirement" in a dash cam at this point.

I also carry a Mobius daily as a pocket camera. I love having something the size of a matchbox that takes great (up to two hours on a charge) 1920 x 1080 video and shoots 2304 x 1536 stills. (and options for time lapse/black & white/warmer/cooler/sharper/rotated/variable data rates/multi-modes on the fly/etc./etc./etc.)

(Edit: BTW, a pocket Mobius also has proven itself to be very handy as an audio-only recorder with the lens cap on, if you suddenly find yourself in need of one.)

I think the mini-0806 has the potential to be a great camera. @Rayman.Chan has put a great deal of effort into refining this unit. The lack of a super-cap in the 0806 is kind of a deal breaker for me though.

As GJHS says, the A118 with capacitor would likely be the way to go in this price range if you simply must have a screen built in.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the info. Any good mounts for the Mobius? I plan on running cables through the pillars and using a USB power socket to power it.

I just think it's my personal preference but I think I prefer the looks of a "pill" design like the Mini 080x series. And I always like the Blackvue design also but it's always been way out of the budget.

If you need a good, fully polished FW, then Mobius is a good choice, with outstanding support.
B40 / A118 is also a great little camera, but as per performance, Mobius is a step ahead due to much wider settings options.
If your budget allows Mini 0806, then go for it, but you have to remember, you need to be actively monitoring for at least few month DasCamTalk Mini 0806 thread for new firmware releases, because there are still some bugs need to be fixed, which I am sure will be sorted out at some stage.

So the performance of Mobius would be better than the A118? I could possibly go without a screen as long as the mounts I get are good. The VF300W mount always falls down every month or two and have to readjust the area to get it right. That's why I think having a screen would be important.

I think I would be willing to pay for the Mini 0806 if the quality is good in terms of video and that it will last long unlike the VF300W that only lasted 1.5 years.

What's the difference between Mini 0805 and 0806?

So the performance of Mobius would be better than the A118?

the A118 has a lot of extra capability, outright video performance though the Mobius will be better
What's the difference between Mini 0805 and 0806?

Different set of bugs, hardware is near identical and very little performance difference, still need some sorting

And, of course, whilst the cam is still 'buggy' can you be sure that it won't bug out right at the critical moment?
If/when the time comes for me to upgrade (keeping a keen eye on the dual cam (remote lens, centralised dvr) scene then I would still run my Mobius but also run any new cam alongside it for a few months - just to be on the safe side.
In a great many cases, you fit & forget. It's only when you pull the card to review that important clip for an insurance claim (or whatever) that you realise the cam hasn't been doing what it's supposed to! by which time, it's too late.

the A118 has a lot of extra capability, outright video performance though the Mobius will be better

Different set of bugs, hardware is near identical and very little performance difference, still need some sorting

Oh okay. So I guess I still need to narrow it down between the A118 and Mobius since those are similar in price.

So if they are similar, how come the price difference is like $30 between those 2 as far as I can tell on Amazon and other sites

Oh okay. So I guess I still need to narrow it down between the A118 and Mobius since those are similar in price.

So if they are similar, how come the price difference is like $30 between those 2 as far as I can tell on Amazon and other sites

they're the same sort of money depending on where you buy them from, not much between them

they're the same sort of money depending on where you buy them from, not much between them
Any recommended places to buy the dashcams? (Mobius, A118C, Mini 0805/0806)

Between Amazon and other sites,. - you mean "Other sites" like Chinese online web shops vs Amazon or US online stores vs Amazon ?

Yes both around $70. GearBest.com is the only one I know with the A118 Capacitor model right now. They have the Mini 0806 and will also carry the Mobius C Lens. If you want to buy now, go to www.buymobius.com, that's Tom Franks site. He is one of the developers of the camera and is here in the US or in NY is @spytec.

With the Mobius you have three lens choice from Narrow to Wide: A, B and C

Between Amazon and other sites,. - you mean "Other sites" like Chinese online web shops vs Amazon or US online stores vs Amazon ?

Amazon, eBay, Gearbest, FoxOffer, etc.; yeah chinese online sites.

Yes both around $70. GearBest.com is the only one I know with the A118 Capacitor model right now. They have the Mini 0806 and will also carry the Mobius C Lens. If you want to buy now, go to www.buymobius.com, that's Tom Franks site. He is one of the developers of the camera and is here in the US or in NY is @spytec.

With the Mobius you have three lens choice from Narrow to Wide: A, B and C

Which Mobius version would be best for in dashcam use?

I like the A lens because it more SLR like and makes things look the right distance. B and C are wide so things look far away even thought they're close. The A shows fender to fender on my car so it's plenty wide. This is a topic that has been discussed a lot and everyone has an opinion. Tom carries all of them

Contact Sunny at GearBest for A118/0806 coupons, since they are having a big sale right now. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gearbest-special-customer-service-on-dct.9553/

I like the A lens because it more SLR like and makes things look the right distance. B and C are wide so things look far away even thought they're close. The A shows fender to fender on my car so it's plenty wide. This is a topic that has been discussed a lot and everyone has an opinion. Tom carries all of them

Contact Sunny at GearBest for A118/0806 coupons, since they are having a big sale right now. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gearbest-special-customer-service-on-dct.9553/

For the Mobius, having the capacitor version would be better for dashcam?

...It's only when you pull the card to review that important clip for an insurance claim (or whatever) that you realise the cam hasn't been doing what it's supposed to! by which time, it's too late.

Which is why I check the function of both my cams at least once a week.

For the Mobius, having the capacitor version would be better for dashcam?
If you want to leave it in your car and not have to worry about leaving it in a hot car, yes spend a few extra buck and buy the capacitors. They are easily swapped with two screws. I myself have been using the battery in my Mobius for over a year with out issues so far. I also remove my camera almost everyday in hot/below freezing climate so I am not the norm. I like the ability to use the Mobius out of the car and have a one hour battery for short parking records.

There are those who will scare you with stories of exploding batteries, and they are true. Care should be given to ANY battery and LIPOs are everywhere, you put one in your pocket daily. You also know not to leave it in a hot car or below freezing car. So it all depends, again, how set and forget or hands on you want to go.

Looks good! What have you rigged up to power it in your vehicle?

It's 12 VDC powered, So just plug into cigarette outlet. Connect A/V out from Mobius to it to aim and review recording. Not permanently installed. Only used once. I've since use my Nexus 5 with OTG cable. Same thing.

It's 12 VDC powered, So just plug into cigarette outlet. Connect A/V out from Mobius to it to aim and review recording. Not permanently installed. Only used once. I've since use my Nexus 5 with OTG cable. Same thing.

I soldered together a 12V cigarette lighter plug and 5.5 plug to power such gadgets but was wondering if you had something like that. Sounds good.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll probably get the A118C for now as it is on sale on Gearbest.

Will still look for another dashcam though as I have another car I want to have a dashcam in. Maybe when I have a higher budget ;)

Back