Good recommendations under $100?

How did your VF300W stopped working? I would take a look at the Mini 0805/0806 and the Mobius.

How did your VF300W stopped working? I would take a look at the Mini 0805/0806 and the Mobius.

It just stopped.. white screen after turning it on for maybe 3 to 6 minutes. Not sure what's wrong, nothing seems burnt on the board when I opened it up a few days ago. The battery still holds a little bit of charge.

Waiting for the A118C to arrive from Gearbest right now.. finally shipped today, assuming I'll get it sometime late next week or early following week. They shipped it from Netherlands.

Trying to hold off to buy another one for my car later on when more new releases comes out... Maybe giving Papago a try next time if something interest me since they're around the $100-$150 range unlike Korean brands where most go for $200+

From all the dashcams so far, I like G90's quality.
It's not as small as Mobius or mini but has great video and they have the capacitor version now.

From all the dashcams so far, I like G90's quality.
It's not as small as Mobius or mini but has great video and they have the capacitor version now.

Some samples from G90 look very good, up there with Panorama. But just like Panorama, they are not discreet and their large front facade stick out like a sore thumb to the outsiders.

Some samples from G90 look very good, up there with Panorama. But just like Panorama, they are not discreet and their large front facade stick out like a sore thumb to the outsiders.

The G90 is bulky but I have to admit the quality is good. My G90 is in the hospital unfortunately hopefully it'll make a full recovery.

You can't find better camera for G90's price as far as video quality goes, period.
To make it more discrete, do this: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/stealth-mode-a-slightly-more-discrete-g90.7390/

Or this is even better but needs some work:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/g90-lense-extension-mod.6752/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need a good, fully polished FW, then Mobius is a good choice, with outstanding support.
B40 / A118 is also a great little camera, but as per performance, Mobius is a step ahead due to much wider settings options.
If your budget allows Mini 0806, then go for it, but you have to remember, you need to be actively monitoring for at least few month DasCamTalk Mini 0806 thread for new firmware releases, because there are still some bugs need to be fixed,.

And, of course, whilst the cam is still 'buggy' can you be sure that it won't bug out right at the critical moment?
If/when the time comes for me to upgrade (keeping a keen eye on the dual cam (remote lens, centralised dvr) scene then I would still run my Mobius but also run any new cam alongside it for a few months - just to be on the safe side.
In a great many cases, you fit & forget. It's only when you pull the card to review that important clip for an insurance claim (or whatever) that you realise the cam hasn't been doing what it's supposed to! by which time, it's too late.

I have a super-capacitor in the ones I use in my vehicle, which I consider a "requirement" in a dash cam at this point.

I think the mini-0806 has the potential to be a great camera. @Rayman.Chan has put a great deal of effort into refining this unit. The lack of a super-cap in the 0806 is kind of a deal breaker for me though.

As GJHS says, the A118 with capacitor would likely be the way to go in this price range if you simply must have a screen built in.

Looking at all of these posts one thing becomes very clear. ANY dash cam with defective firmware is not worth buying. manufacturers would be much better off waiting 6 months to release a solid dash cam instead of releasing a buggy version no one can really trust to do its job. The other thing is batteries in a dash cam is a bad idea period. However, having a dash cam that can use either one with minor changes in the settings menu could be a big plus.

it's next to impossible to get the camera out there completely bug free, test all you like but sometimes you just don't find something out until it's in the hands of end users, how you deal with that though is the more important thing, releasing product when you know there are issues, that I don't agree with and there's more than a few who are guilty of that

Firmware things can be worked out in new release but it's the hardware issues that makes a dashcam bad as firmware can't fix hardware issues like lens focus, housing, gps etc...

I want battery in my dashcam. I use it out of car too. Below is my Mobius footage in Las Vegas, Fremont St.

The mobius camera has had a very large amount of firmware updates. All of those updates are a huge reason why it is so good and popular today. That is also a reason why a new and improved cam from that manufacturer would be met with open arms. It is obvious that quality and a great product is their goal instead of just a quick profit.

I understand how a computer OS can have bugs. All of the different programs written for that OS can reveal problems never seen before that unique combination of commands made those issues became apparent. A camera should always face the same issues of lighting, shadows, and sun intrusion. I do not understand how variables come into play with a dash cam. Then again, I am not a programmer or camera expert either.

I do agree that bad design and parts make a product junk. Bad firmware can obviously be improved to become great firmware which can take an average cam on to become a great cam.

Trying to understand what makes a dash cam good, bad, or great is kind of like trying to learn a foreign language then take a physics class in that language. It can happen but it sure isn't easy.

As I have said many times. A dashcam should record best video & best audio. It doesn't need to do anything else in order to serve us well.
I still use my old DOD mini camcorder (that also happens to work well as a dashcam) as a little handheld recorder & the small battery is still good for a couple of hours' use.
I think the reality with regards testing cameras is that it can only be done out on the road. Sitting a camera on a desk for 1000 hours is no good to anyone, they need to be turned on & off at odd intervals, they need to be bashed & bumped around, subjected to vibrations, extremes of heat & cold - because that is the environment that they are supposedly designed for.
To be honest, dashcams have been around for so long now that any manufacturer who can't get the basics right doesn't deserve to stay in the game.

sooo, what is the conclusion on the best cam in the price range at the moment, available in the europe?
i like the b40 sleek and non eye catching design but mobius seems to have better quality videos
and there is 0805
and what about the super capacitors
can someone just put up a link of europe available best lowest price read to go cam
i also forgot, reliability is most important obviously
and i have to add, possibility of pausing video at any time and having a non blurry, and readable license plate would be nice

What may be the "best cam" for you may not be the "best cam" for the next guy. It depends on your needs, your situation, your preferences and on your vehicle. Ultimately, people with more experience can offer suggestions and perhaps their personal opinions and preference but in the end someone coming to DashCamTalk for help in choosing which camera to buy needs to gather all the information found here and make their own choice. In other words, there really is no "conclusion" about which is the "best" camera in this price range as each has its strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps that is why this thread is titled "Good Recommendations" not "Best Camera Under 100 dollars".

My needs:
Beeing able to prove what happened in case of accident
Reliability in all aspects, as I have seen here before" set it and forget it", and not worry about possibility of unexpected failure
Heat resistant up to 40°C (105F) in summer, to -20°c(-5F) during winter, good mount
(i can also hide it in the glovebox in case of this kind of heat and not leave it burn while parked)
Best possible picture day & night, visible/readable plates, no blurriness
Stealthier appear- better
Price-lower is better, up to 90$
Vehicle - car, vw polo

:eek:

thanks alot

Last edited:
What may be the "best cam" for you may not be the "best cam" for the next guy. It depends on your needs, your situation, your preferences and on your vehicle. Ultimately, people with more experience can offer suggestions and perhaps their personal opinions and preference but in the end someone coming to DashCamTalk for help in choosing which camera to buy needs to gather all the information found here and make their own choice. In other words, there really is no "conclusion" about which is the "best" camera in this price range as each has its strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps that is why this thread is titled "Good Recommendations" not "Best Camera Under 100 dollars".

Or to put it another way...

The best dash cam obviously is the one I bought because I spent money on it. :D

Those who buy a product often think it is the absolute best product (unless it has glaring defects) simply because they bought it and they had to have made the best choice possible. This way of thinking applies to about everything we can buy. On another forum guys argue over which generation of dodge diesel truck is best. There are 5 choices possible. You will find that in each section many claim their generation truck is best and the other generations have glaring flaws. It is no different here.

Each dash cam possibility has advantages and disadvantages. What you want can change what is best for you. Reliability and video/sound quality are strong factors to consider. I would refuse to spend money on anything that is known to be unreliable. However, when you are looking at a dash cam just to prove what happens if you get into a crash perhaps extremely clear video is not so important. Perhaps just seeing colored blocks coming from the side that hit you and show your badly pixelated hood bending up is all you want or need. Then again maybe you want the clearest video and sound possible.

If you have not yet done so look at this page. --> https://dashcamtalk.com/ Then look at the review of each cam you would consider buying. It is possible in the next 10 days an even better cam will come along. A well known reviewer mentioned something about that happening. However, that dash cam is of unknown price and quality. Also, no stores had it in stock.

I think what is being said or should be, is that there is a new trend to just post "what camera should I buy" without reading anything or searching anything. As a long term member here, this is definitely a more recent event. If you look back you will see repeat info being posted time after time. There is a ton of information here in the "What should I buy?" thread that anyone looking for a camera and reading will see the same info posted 10 times. I know it's a lot to read, we've all been there and most of us nerds enjoyed it, well most of it.

We like to help and answer questions, I just think that a prerequisite should be to research everything and then come back with your top cameras. Then we can help you narrow them down.

There is no 'Best' dashcam.
One's best maybe another's just okay and so on...
Just get something that has good review and video quality.

Did you see the review page? It is here. --> https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/

You click on any dash cam in the cam comparison page to see a review.

Each review page gives a list of "places to buy". Those are the sellers who should be selling the real dash cam and not a generic. I would suspect that alia is selling generic stuff most of the time.

This gives some basic ideas to consider. It includes the battery vs. capacitor question. I would want the super capacitor in my car.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/basic-dash-cam-information-i-think-i-have-right.9676/

I suggest not buying a sd card from ebay. To many fakes are out there. Buy from a well known vendor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back