GPS does not display in player:SOLVED

I'm sure it will be a dashcamviewer/software related fix.

Sorry guys, just finishing up some business travel and am playing catch-up with my emails.

So to clarify: is the issue that the Mac version 2.7.3 is showing GPS but the Windows v2.7.3 is not? Both use the same engine so I'd be surprised if this was the case. Anyway, I'll test the sample DC movie you sent me when I get home. If it's a software error on my part it should be easy to fix.

John
http://dashcamviewer.com

Sorry guys, just finishing up some business travel and am playing catch-up with my emails.

So to clarify: is the issue that the Mac version 2.7.3 is showing GPS but the Windows v2.7.3 is not? Both use the same engine so I'd be surprised if this was the case. Anyway, I'll test the sample DC movie you sent me when I get home. If it's a software error on my part it should be easy to fix.

John

I played more videos and this is what I encountered. I hope these are helpful.

Beginning of one video from the first drive of the day. Speed was not showing on the video file or the dashboard. Both displayed " -- ". About 5 - 10 minutes of continuous driving, the speedometer began displaying on the software dashboard, but the video display showed " -- ".

2.5 minutes into the drive. GPS is not active.
6dtIPzC.jpg

When the second record clip begins, the dashboard displays speed, but video file is still blank. The speed did not change for the entire 3 minute clip.
rNs4vjh.jpg

Showing the speed reading is stuck while i'm at a stop from the same clip above
HfdXsLO.jpg

Continuing, now the video displays speed, but the dashboard is stuck at 2MPH. This was not a gradual change, it went from 43 to 2 instantly.
Itnkt2P.jpg

For the rest of my drive the video file would display speed, then blank, then show, then blank... back and forth. The dashboard continued to display speed. Both numbers never match, always off 3 - 7 MPH. The video speed display is much slower at catching up / number going down when I come to a stop.
K7p1R7D.jpg

Mac OS 10.9.5 Latest Dashcam Viewer. Actual video shows embedded speed along with date, time, SG logo ETC. Dashcam Viewer : GPS map has zero info, direction and speed window show nothing. Also....the picture in picture is super small and cannot be resized.
CRS

Last edited:
@venezian, thanks for the detailed info. What's curious is that of the 5 video screenshots, only one shows your speed in the video itself "40 MPH" in the bottom right. I would expect the speed to be shown in all the clips all the time.

As for the Dashcam Viewer issues, @Street Guardian USA is going to send me a demo unit so I can better debug issues. But if you have a chance can you send me your files to investigate (use https://wetransfer.com for large files)?

@CRS 123 , the first file of a drive may not contain GPS data since the GPS unit may not have achieved lock.

I recently made some changes to the PiP window so that its size is saved from run-to-run. You should still be able to zoom the window using the mouse wheel or the 'q' and 'e' keys if the cursor is in the 2nd video frame. If not, then maybe I messed something up. I'll look into it on my end.

John

@venezian, thanks for the detailed info. What's curious is that of the 5 video screenshots, only one shows your speed in the video itself "40 MPH" in the bottom right. I would expect the speed to be shown in all the clips all the time.

As for the Dashcam Viewer issues, @Street Guardian USA is going to send me a demo unit so I can better debug issues. But if you have a chance can you send me your files to investigate (use https://wetransfer.com for large files)?

@CRS 123 , the first file of a drive may not contain GPS data since the GPS unit may not have achieved lock.

I recently made some changes to the PiP window so that its size is saved from run-to-run. You should still be able to zoom the window using the mouse wheel or the 'q' and 'e' keys if the cursor is in the 2nd video frame. If not, then maybe I messed something up. I'll look into it on my end.

John

Hi John and thanks for the response. You solution for changing the size of the PiP window works. I was trying to "drag" the corner to size it (duh). OK...I made sure that all files had locked GPS and I still have no map or speed info. I do have speed info embedded in the playback video picture. I attached a screen shot.screen.jpg

the way @venezian describes the speed coming and going in the actual video makes it sound like it didn't have a good gps lock, or maybe the gps antenna has a loose/bad connection. the fact that DCV is showing anything at all is probably just it trying to make a best guess based on the intermittent info it has from the file.

the way @venezian describes the speed coming and going in the actual video makes it sound like it didn't have a good gps lock, or maybe the gps antenna has a loose/bad connection. the fact that DCV is showing anything at all is probably just it trying to make a best guess based on the intermittent info it has from the file.

Could be. I will have to watch more videos to see if this is a consistent issue. As of now, I don't think it is because I see the camera has the GPS icon within 10 seconds of powering on so it's getting signal right away. I'll keep recording.. truck is sitting for a couple of days as i'm traveling..

I’ve tried multiple GPS antennas, and still no info displayed in viewer. GPS shows signal and lock. Curious if other Mac or windows users are experiencing the same issue
CRS

is your speed showing consistently in the video?
Yes it is. I'm wondering if other Mac users are experiencing the same thing...and if so what OS are they using. I'm currently 10.9.5 . DashCam viewer site says it's software is compatible from 10.8 or so.

Last edited:
One more quirk I've noticed. On multiple occasions while playing back files in DashViewer, the rear camera file fails to load. There is no second camera selection at the top of the window, and toggling back and forth from the previous file does not help. Here's the thing.....in the file folder, the "B" file exists, and will play in quicktime. If I remove "B"from the file name, Dashviewer will play it as a single file...the file seems healthy with no corruption. If I transfer the front and back files to a new folder on the desktop and load those files into dash viewer, the rear file still will not load. What I'm guessing is that some sort of header info or code isn't being written to the rear file that tells dash viewer to play it? I'm obviously no code expert :) If it were a bad sector on the card, I would suspect the whole file would be corrupt. Kind of a mystery. Out of a couple hour drive....there are always a few files like this that I run across as check certain playback areas.
Cheers
CRS

One more quirk I've noticed. On multiple occasions while playing back files in DashViewer, the rear camera file fails to load. There is no second camera selection at the top of the window, and toggling back and forth from the previous file does not help. Here's the thing.....in the file folder, the "B" file exists, and will play in quicktime. If I remove "B"from the file name, Dashviewer will play it as a single file...the file seems healthy with no corruption. If I transfer the front and back files to a new folder on the desktop and load those files into dash viewer, the rear file still will not load. What I'm guessing is that some sort of header info or code isn't being written to the rear file that tells dash viewer to play it? I'm obviously no code expert :) If it were a bad sector on the card, I would suspect the whole file would be corrupt. Kind of a mystery. Out of a couple hour drive....there are always a few files like this that I run across as check certain playback areas.
Cheers
CRS
I have noticed the same behavior with Dashcam viewer.

@traveler (John) should have received the SG9663DC sample I sent according to tracking. Hopefully he has time to install it and gather plenty of self collected sample videos to debug the DashCamViewer playback software soon.

I am a paid subscriber to Dashcam viewer and it was a waste of money in my opinion. GPS is not important to me, but quality and smoothness of playback is, and it fails miserably in this area. Quicktime is free and works perfectly so I will be staying with that for the foreseeable future.

I have noticed the same behavior with Dashcam viewer.
yeah there's still some bugs there that need to be sorted, to be fair John never had much in the way of sample files to work with so if there was some type of anomaly when loading multiple files he never got to see it just due to the impracticality of how much data it was possible to transfer to him, we've sent him a camera to put in his own car though so hopefully that will help on the data collection side of things

I am a paid subscriber to Dashcam viewer and it was a waste of money in my opinion. GPS is not important to me, but quality and smoothness of playback is, and it fails miserably in this area. Quicktime is free and works perfectly so I will be staying with that for the foreseeable future.

Is there an alternative that's better?
I don't think there's another that's as good. I like the ability to export video with the option to set the marker and length of video. That was the biggest selling point for me. I'm not sure why it converts the video .mov when I export though so i'm not sure if there's any video quality loss when exporting.
What I would like is the option to export both channels in one video file as well as individual channels.

Back