GPS flip adhesive question

theTastyCat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all - just received my new SG9665GC and would like to flip the GPS to mount in the corner of the windshield. Trouble is there is a nice adhesive already stuck to the base of the GPS, and even though the dash cam came with a really impressive amount of accessories and extras, there's no replacement pad for this. So - what's my best course of action to getting this case open? There's one extra sticky pad, but it's the same size as the camera mount...which just prompted me to go check, and it is also the same size as the GPS mount, just missing two corners. Should I just peel off the existing sticky, flip the GPS, and put the new pad on?

Many thanks, all!!

@theTastyCat be careful when you finally do open that case up. I tried it, and I broke a wire off inside. I did not return it because it was totally my fault. Seems a little fragile, so take care. As to the sticky pads, cannot help there. Good Luck. Great camera by the way!

There is usually a spare adhesive pad for the GPS in every box. I'm happy to send you a new one. Please email me your address.

Here are the instructions. It's possible the latest batch comes with the adhesive pad already attached. Use the new spatula tool that is included in the box.

@theTastyCat be careful when you finally do open that case up. I tried it, and I broke a wire off inside. I did not return it because it was totally my fault. Seems a little fragile, so take care. As to the sticky pads, cannot help there. Good Luck. Great camera by the way!
If you are good at soldering. Breaking a wire off from the pcb shouldn't be a problem. My problem is the wire is too long. I hate to tuck the wire around the windshield so I cut the wire short, probably short enough so the gps and the cam will mount close to each other. I wick out the old solder off from the pads and resolder all the wires to the way it is. Only do if you really know what you're doing. I, myself is a certified electronic so I know exactly what I'm doing.

If you are good at soldering. Breaking a wire off from the pcb shouldn't be a problem. My problem is the wire is too long. I hate to tuck the wire around the windshield so I cut the wire short, probably short enough so the gps and the cam will mount close to each other. I wick out the old solder off from the pads and resolder all the wires to the way it is. Only do if you really know what you're doing. I, myself is a certified electronic so I know exactly what I'm doing.
Thanks for the info, and welcome to DCT. I have never soldered anything, but since I broke it I am going to give it a try. Just one small wire to solder.

Thanks for the info, and welcome to DCT. I have never soldered anything, but since I broke it I am going to give it a try. Just one small wire to solder.

Since you're now a Platinum Gold Street Guardian member, I'm sending you a new GPS. (check email) :)

If you have never soldered before, I wouldn't recommend. Those strings wires and insulator are very fragile. Too much heat will simply burn the insulator.

Since you're now a Platinum Gold Street Guardian member, I'm sending you a new GPS. (check email) :)
Just when you think that you have received the best service around, this happens. I specifically stated that this was my fault and I did not want a replacement. Instead, I received an email with a tracking number for my replacement! This level of service is extrordinary, and better than I have ever received from anyone, period.

@Pier28 clearly provides the best service around. Thanks a lot for all of your help. Anyone ever on the fence with a buying decision should consider the level of service that is provided by @Pier28.

Back