GPS not working. At all.

Ljboyd13

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi. Just received my second-batch Mini 0806 w/GPS. Latest firmware.

I've tried all combos of settings and get no GPS LED, nor GPS icon on the screen.

I also tried it with my old Mini 0803 GPS-BASE just in case my new base didn't have GPS for some reason.

Any ideas on fixing this problem? I've emailed the distributor (SPORTGPS in Australia) and have not yet had a reply.

The Mini0806.com website appears to have other users in the same boat.

you've got it turned on in the menu? sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but a few users have been tripped up by this already

if you've done all that then send it back I guess

Yep, definitely. Switched off & on. LED off & on. New firmware. Reset all settings. All that good stuff.

tried it outside the vehicle? some cars have windscreens that aren't signal friendly

you'd need to remove it before sending back so somthing to try I guess before you do

tried it outside the vehicle? some cars have windscreens that aren't signal friendly

you'd need to remove it before sending back so somthing to try I guess before you do
Sure have. Looks like I got another Mini-dud. My first 0803 just "died" after a couple weeks. My second 0803 blew up the battery, overheats, has 'glitches' in the video and locks up randomly. Thought 2x generations later they would be better and would give them another go. Damn!

One version of the firmware requires that you have GPS STAMPING not turned OFF in the menu, it's not enough to just turn SPEED STAMPING on. It's only one version but it would have been current at about the time this batch where produced...

Edit: actually the latest version is also like that, but the default isn't OFF, you may have turned it off not realising that it turned GPS off completely...

One version of the firmware requires that you have GPS STAMPING not turned OFF in the menu, it's not enough to just turn SPEED STAMPING on. It's only one version but it would have been current at about the time this batch where produced...

Edit: actually the latest version is also like that, but the default isn't OFF, you may have turned it off not realising that it turned GPS off completely...

Yep tried that. Even just went to an older Firmware. Looks like I simply got another Mini-dud.

Yep tried that. Even just went to an older Firmware. Looks like I simply got another Mini-dud.
Hmm... There was another user with same issue but gps logging/stamping or other gps option was off in the menu.

Did you get the one with gps?
Maybe you bought non gps model.
Have product link?

If the mount is very light, it doesn't have gps even though menu has gps options.
Gps mount weighs 18 grams I think.

My gps doesn't work at all and I have no gps icon also. I don't have time to return it but its stupid because I paid more for it. gps isn't important for me so whatever

My gps doesn't work at all and I have no gps icon also. I don't have time to return it but its stupid because I paid more for it. gps isn't important for me so whatever
There are two versions of this camera, one with gps and another without.
Make sure you got the GPS mount.
They both look same except non GPS one is much lighter, GPS one is around 18 grams.

There are two versions of this camera, one with gps and another without.
Make sure you got the GPS mount.
They both look same except non GPS one is much lighter, GPS one is around 18 grams.
The the usb ports on the mounts don't work either. The mount doesn't feel light and has a little weight to it

The the usb ports on the mounts don't work either. The mount doesn't feel light and has a little weight to it
If you don't get power from the mount, make sure the camera is all the way in.
Maybe the leads are not touching.
There was another post about the ports not working on the mount. Hmmm...

I tried everything. Just gave up and mounted it to the windshield. It is what it is

I tried everything. Just gave up and mounted it to the windshield. It is what it is
Two cases of ports on the mount not working. Maybe gps issue is related to port issue.
Hope this is not a widespread problem.

I had all the same problems with my Mini 0803 as well Lj. Thats why Im holding off on buying any other Mini until Techmoan reviews it. If he says its a dud like the 0803 was then im sourcing something else.

I mean if its a dud like the mini 0803 turned out to be for me.
Seems like us Aussies have an issue with batteries swelling, glitches, random lock-ups and overheating issues.

I have had a few problems with the ports on the GPS mount as well.
The cable when fitted to the top or bottom port (mainly top though) needs to be wriggled for the connection to stay alive otherwise on start up the unit shuts down, usually in moments.
This is with trying two hard-wire kits.

Is there a way of 'tightening' the plug and socket on the port to ensure a good solid connection all the time ?

The cigarette lighter cable that was supplied with the unit seems to behave somewhat better but I don't want the cigarette lighter occupied all the time or have the cable hanging down and in the way.

Just had a thought writing this - perhaps the weight of the cigarette lighter cable hanging on the port is maintaining the connection better.

Back