GPS not working

Hyundairider

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there,

I'm just newbie to dashcam world and recently bought mini 0806 from Gearbest which arrived yesterday. Upon initial testing, found out GPS is not functioning. Reviewed all the unboxing videos out there and setup exactly as described but not able to have GPS green light turned ON. At this point, I am not even sure whether I have GPS mount or the regular one, though I bought with GPS logger. the other thing I probably need to do is to check the weight 6 grams vs. 18 grams but all other symptoms indicating that I have non GPS shoe. is there another way I can check. Any help is appreciated. I have opened up a case with Gearbest.

Regards

Hi there,

I'm just newbie to dashcam world and recently bought mini 0806 from Gearbest which arrived yesterday. Upon initial testing, found out GPS is not functioning. Reviewed all the unboxing videos out there and setup exactly as described but not able to have GPS green light turned ON. At this point, I am not even sure whether I have GPS mount or the regular one, though I bought with GPS logger. the other thing I probably need to do is to check the weight 6 grams vs. 18 grams but all other symptoms indicating that I have non GPS shoe. is there another way I can check. Any help is appreciated. I have opened up a case with Gearbest.

Regards
Most probably it has GPS in the mount.
As long as it's not feather light, it should be okay.
Now, in the menu, you have to turn GPS logging/stamping on to turn the GPS on.
Then you have to be out in the open for at least few minutes to get the signal.

thanks for quick response Sunny. I have turned ON the GPS logging and stamping, the only thing remains is, to go out and try. I will write back with the outcomes.

Well known DCT member @jokiin posted a very useful and enlightening thread about GPS functionality that you may find elucidating once you get yours working. HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sunny,

I did give a try but no luck. I have been out driving for 1/2 an hour but nothing. I even checked the clips through Register Viewer but zippo, no coordinates. Definitely, it doesn't have GPS logger. any other idea?

An 0806 sample I worked with had trouble with the GPS. A firmware update fixed the problem and now it locks on rapidly and holds it. It might be worth trying a firmware update if yours isn't the latest version, or a different version if it is.

Last edited:
mine has latest version 20150128, Dashmellow or is there any other latest one out there?

That's the latest but it doesn't hurt to try older version.

okay, will try it out and let you know if it works. thanks

Hi, As suggested. tried older version but still the same, reverted back to newer version again. In touched with Gearbest for possible solution......

Hi, As suggested. tried older version but still the same, reverted back to newer version again. In touched with Gearbest for possible solution......
Does the camera get power from mount's ports?
If it doesn't then, it may be the broken wire issue.

I opened my 0806 up and the GPS wire was torn, which is why mine didn't work. I soldered it on and now it works great.

Though CS asked me to wait for reply and I can wait but don't want my 30 days warranty to be expired in meantime so I couldn't even return it.

I opened my 0806 up and the GPS wire was torn, which is why mine didn't work. I soldered it on and now it works great.

I wish, I am that technical :)

Yes Sunny, I can get camera powered ON by any of those three ports.
It may still be the wires coming off loose but just the GPS wire.
Doesn't hurt to open and peek inside.

I just received my 0806 a couple days ago.... It was taking up to 10 minutes after being off for a long period to connect to GPS satellites. Which I guess is not unheard of. Wish it was faster, but oh well. Anyway, I opened it up just to check the wires.. And the one I have has a longer wire that has been actually glued down to the circuit board to take the stress off the solder points. So at least it seems on more recent units, the broken wire deal has been fixed.

hello hyundairider. if you have a car with athermic glass and heating system in it the gps does not work when you put the mount directly to the glass. if you use any other mount for the cam it can connect to the sattellite approximately in 5-10 minutes but if this time the videos become shaky. you may choose gps or the quality videos. i chose the good view and disabled gps stamping and use. :( its a big problem for the mini 806

Back