Greetings from the USA :) I need 2 dash cams to keep my family & cars safe

jamesbond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and good evening,

This is James Bond, I am living in the USA and am completely new to the world of dash cams.

I have two older vehicles, one sedan and old passenger SUV, none of them have a in built GPS or screen etc, they are pre 2010 vehicles.

I want to get a dash cam that I can record front and back, since there is only so much I can capture from the front.

In fact, I am more interested in a better quality for the back, because that is where most of the arrogant drivers approach from.

I want a model that is simple to use and maintain, and had good enough clarity for recognition. No point not being able to recognize the vehicle or person in an incident, which I hope never occurs.

As my vehicles are older and the sedan is small, I do not want anything humongous.

What do you all recommend dear friends?

I want to keep the budget affordable, but do not want to get junk. Maybe $100 a set? or $150 tops.

Cheerios
James

Dual camera set-up at that price point might be difficult... I guess my recommendation is to get some Viofo A119/A119S (whenever it's on sale on eBay, Adorama, Newegg, etc.) for about ~$70 to $80 each unit, just mount one in the front and one in the rear.

I am ok spending some more $$ if I cannot get a dual setup within the $100-$150 range.

Her Majesties Secret Service can't be paying well these days. lol.
Ol' mate Mr Bond is in desperate need of a significant pay rise .. starting with an advance.. to up the ante here.. by the looks.

Cuban Cigars are out .. and James is getting around in a Hyundai.

I would do a bit more research first, and more importantly look at some video on youtube, personally I would spend a bit more and get a thinkware F770 no maintenance no need to constantly check it's working, it tells you with verbal confirmations what it's doing, fits behind rear view mirror fit and forget hope it's never needed but be assured it is there should the worst happen.

There are no good and cheap 2-channel dashcams. You can have good or you can have cheap; it's one way or the other but not both.

Where I live they've apparently changed requirements since I was licensed as we have almost no sane drivers left around here at all. I've got 4 cams because of this. As I see it, the cars behind you will not be a problem until they get close (usually too close) so I'll get good images of them and their cars when that happens. Before then I'll still have clear enough pics of their car's crazy behavior as they approached. This doesn't take a lot of cam, but I like more than 720P for that- 1080P usually gets me enough face details to identify the driver. Many 2ch cams are only 720P in the rear :( I also like good nighttime performance.

So you'll need 2 cams and up front the A119v2 offers great value and good performance. The A119Sv2 is better at night. Either will take a large chunk of your stated budget but they would be my choices. If I lived in a cooler climate I'd also consider the Chupad D501 battery powered cam, also a great value and cheaper than the A119's. For the rear you can use something like the G1W-HC for ultimate cheapness with reliability or for better at night, the G1W-S. Fitting them may be an issue because of their form-factor and you may have to get creative with mounting methods. Any of the recommended front cams will also do fine in back. The original Mobius is another good choice front or back though it doesn't do well at night. it's tiny size is a huge asset for rear mounting and adding supercaps for use in hot climates is easy. Needs a mount and PS as none are supplied. Several lens choices, I'd use the C2 lens for widest coverage.

You don't get what ypu don't pay for with anything, dashcams included ;) There is a basic level below which you will not get a reliable useful cam and any money spent below that level will be wasted. And you'll also need good SD cards for each cam, the cheap ones are unreliable or simply will not work which again is money wasted. Nothing to do for that except ante up and get into the game. You could equip both cars with good front cams to start with then add rear cams later- that's how I had to do it. There are some other budget-level cams which might do you well but i have no experience with them and some have know issues you'll have to live with and work around if you chose them.

Hope my thoughts help with your selections and welcome to DCT :D
Phil

I am ok spending some more $$ if I cannot get a dual setup within the $100-$150 range.

Welcome to DCT James.

Mini 0906 which is a dual camera will be in production soon. It should be in your price range. Check the test blog about the camera and watch some of the clip from it.
I have just uploaded a night video where you compare a a119s and 0906. I have a tint glass a the back, therefor a darker image. PS: it's not clean either.

If you need the camera now, you need to look for something else.

Viofo A119s is also a good single camera.

Edit: Buy it local, just in case you got a problem.
These retailer got it and are active in the forum. I have no association we any of them.
@OCD Tronic, @CaptureYourAction, @spytec no order.

Last edited:
F770 is 1080p ON THE REAR CAM, one of the many reasons I bought it

seriously?? you have aston martins with guns in, but no dashcam??

to be fair, you spend most of your life being followed around by a camera crew, you don't need dashcams! Not to mention your expertise of stunt driving... I've seen those GoPro's all over the car!!!

the SG9633DC will suit your require well. But it's not avaiable right now. You have to wait a few weeks.

Hello and good evening,

This is James.

Is the SG9663 out? Are there any other good options to consider for front and back cams which are at a good price point of quality and price.

I just need it as 'insurance' when driving, hopefully, I never need it, but if I do, I want to get what I need.

Cheerios,
James

Hello and good evening,

This is James.

Is the SG9663 out? Are there any other good options to consider for front and back cams which are at a good price point of quality and price.

I just need it as 'insurance' when driving, hopefully, I never need it, but if I do, I want to get what I need.

Cheerios,
James
@Street Guardian USA is now taking pre-orders for the new DC.

I presume it is this model

https://streetguardian.info/sg9663dc

How easy it is to wire these units?

Do I need to remove seats etc? or it is pretty straight forward?

Sorry I have an older car and am a terrible handyman.

Cheerios
James

To add to that

Do these cameras e.g. the SG9663DC record while the car is parked? i.e. e.g if I am not in the car, e.g. buying groceries, will it record?

Cheerios,
James

Back