GT550W WDR GPS F1.6 from Shadow Tec by TioTec dash camera

Re: GT550W WDR GPS F1.6 from Shadow Tec by TioTec dash camer

Chura said:
I'm new to the all webcams stuff.
I really like the LS300W but want GPS.
Should I but the 550 now with the GPS module or I better wait for reviews ?
Usually, Shadowtech stand behind the specs or better test it ?
DOD Canada annouced a new model DOD LS330W with optional GPS, it shows high speed GPS attenna.
http://store.dod-tech.ca/dashboard-came ... ard-camera
LS330W_5_opt-500x500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Quintas said:
Chura said:
I'm new to the all webcams stuff.
I really like the LS300W but want GPS.
Should I but the 550 now with the GPS module or I better wait for reviews ?
Usually, Shadowtech stand behind the specs or better test it ?
DOD Canada annouced a new model DOD LS330W with optional GPS, it shows high speed GPS attenna.
http://store.dod-tech.ca/dashboard-came ... ard-camera
LS330W_5_opt-500x500.jpg

This was anticipated a half year ago when first LS300W was released. Motherboard had empty place for GPS antenna connector and unit casing had already gps antenna connector.
New LS330W with GPS has front case design slightly different. Also can record up to 64Gb.
Other functions abd specs seems to be the same.

Just got info from shadow, the GPS version need wait more 3 weeks.

So was the gt550w ever available with GPS? Did they sell them all and run out, or did they encounter a problem and were unable to sell them with GPS?

Wondering how LS330W compare with GT550W...

Kampua said:
Wondering how LS330W compare with GT550W...

On the paper they are the same. Just different firmware.
GT550W firmware interface is the same as GT450W. I am testing gt450w now and it can record on 64Gg Sandisc microsd memory card so I assume GT550W has same compatibility despite being advertised as max 32gb, but I am sure it can support 64gb and Foxoffer will test and change this info soon
Dod ls330w is also available on pre-order only and the price with gps antenna is 286usd, - crazy !!!
GT550W with gps antenna will be about twice cheaper than dod ls330w.

niko said:
Dod ls330w is also available on pre-order only and the price with gps antenna is 286usd, - crazy !!!

not worth that kind of money, think DOD might have their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities

jokiin said:
niko said:

not worth that kind of money, think DOD might have their ambitions mixed up with their capabilities

I understand that DOD is branded, thats fine, but usually branded product sold about 20-25% higher than exactly the same non-branded. This kind of pricing would be fair, but not +100% mark-up, for poor or almost non-existing after sale service. In most cases you can get much better after sales service if buying non-branded product from reputable reseller.

jokiin said:
niko said:

i think they lost their mind. for a no support company this price is silly.

We all know that buying DOD leads to zero support so why even bother.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I thought its time I give these DOD Canada guys some creditbility, since no one here seems to have purchased from them directly.
Unlike some of the people on this forum who buys "the cheapest alternative" from China, I am an avid supporter of local businesses (Topic for another day, perhaps). These guys at DOD Canada is one of them.
I'm not a young fellow who searches everywhere on the net looking for solutions or instructions on how to use a product that I bought, and most of the time it resulted in calling on the phone to the company who sold me the product.
I purchased my DOD LS300W from DOD Canada 2 months ago (Thanks to this message board, I found out how amazing this product is. Hats off to Dash Cam Talk.) As I have mentioned, I am not a young fellow who can figure their ways with electronics, even with a user manual. I gave them a call the next day I received my camera, and chatted with their technical suppor staff for about 2 hours. They were very patient to explain everything to me, instructed every single step on how to do such and such. Even though I am not a "techy", I could comfortably say that I now understand the basic operation of this camea.
Now who else in the North America does this? Well, Apple sure does. But these DOD guys has provided me a level of support as good as Apple did.
I have worked as a General Manager of a certain retail chain for 30+ years, and for those people who thinks "25% markup for branded versus no-brand is normal" are very, very wrong. I don't know how much it costs them to get these into Canada or USA, but has anyone factor in various costs such as operating cost, staff to answer the phone, insurance cost, marketing cost, return cost, et cetera? These adds up tremendously.
To the people who have chosen to buy these gadgets overseas, in hopes that you will receive the same level of support or product grade as the retail counterpart, good for you, and wish you people good luck.

My bottom line; To those who did not purchased from these guys, please don't start making baseless claims and spreading rumors about these DOD Canada guys. They were there when I needed support for my purchase, and I think they will also be there if I need any other support in the future.

I am going to give them a call in the next day or two to purchase another camera for my wife. Maybe I will bring this website up and hope they respond to you guys directly.

Stephen

roadwarrior5090 said:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I thought its time I give these DOD Canada guys some creditbility, since no one here seems to have purchased from them directly.
Unlike some of the people on this forum who buys "the cheapest alternative" from China, I am an avid supporter of local businesses (Topic for another day, perhaps). These guys at DOD Canada is one of them.
I'm not a young fellow who searches everywhere on the net looking for solutions or instructions on how to use a product that I bought, and most of the time it resulted in calling on the phone to the company who sold me the product.
I purchased my DOD LS300W from DOD Canada 2 months ago (Thanks to this message board, I found out how amazing this product is. Hats off to Dash Cam Talk.) As I have mentioned, I am not a young fellow who can figure their ways with electronics, even with a user manual. I gave them a call the next day I received my camera, and chatted with their technical suppor staff for about 2 hours. They were very patient to explain everything to me, instructed every single step on how to do such and such. Even though I am not a "techy", I could comfortably say that I now understand the basic operation of this camea.
Now who else in the North America does this? Well, Apple sure does. But these DOD guys has provided me a level of support as good as Apple did.
I have worked as a General Manager of a certain retail chain for 30+ years, and for those people who thinks "25% markup for branded versus no-brand is normal" are very, very wrong. I don't know how much it costs them to get these into Canada or USA, but has anyone factor in various costs such as operating cost, staff to answer the phone, insurance cost, marketing cost, return cost, et cetera? These adds up tremendously.
To the people who have chosen to buy these gadgets overseas, in hopes that you will receive the same level of support or product grade as the retail counterpart, good for you, and wish you people good luck.

My bottom line; To those who did not purchased from these guys, please don't start making baseless claims and spreading rumors about these DOD Canada guys. They were there when I needed support for my purchase, and I think they will also be there if I need any other support in the future.

I am going to give them a call in the next day or two to purchase another camera for my wife. Maybe I will bring this website up and hope they respond to you guys directly.

Stephen

nobody here bashing dod canada support , we talking about Dod International support wish is inexistent for Legit or Grey market users.
by the way since you are legit canada dod buyer i am curious if worthy the extra you paid , ask Dod Canada for last Firmware to see their answer ;) .
while they will replace your unit quickly in case problem because its Official channel distribution , i wonder if they will give ya a update.
for a brand claim the best product , dod/tio later coming whit a lot problems just check around how many ls400w and gt300w problems in this forum
that is a puzzle piece of big puzzle. and support being inexistent , can check my topic how many times i tried contact them while they wasn´t upset at gray market
now they coming whit ant-gray market propaganda and i figure now won´t exist any answer.

Yes, there are many things to say about DOD support ( non-support ? ) , price, service, etc., but let's not discuss it here too much. This topic is about GT550W model.
All positive / negative feedback on vendors can be discussed in " Owner Feedback on Vendors ":
viewforum.php?f=27

Can anyone post a photo of the 550 with the GPS option connected? I can't seem to access the DOD CA site, always get a 403 error where I am...

If its just something like an external antenna with a MMCX connector that would be disappointing. An all in one package like the GS600 is nice...

moocow said:
Can anyone post a photo of the 550 with the GPS option connected? I can't seem to access the DOD CA site, always get a 403 error where I am...

If its just something like an external antenna with a MMCX connector that would be disappointing. An all in one package like the GS600 is nice...

Dod has ls430 with gps but no WDR.
They also have same design ls400w ( wdr ) but no gps

http://www.dod-tec.com/product.php

GT550W uses external GPS antenna with 3.5mm jack connector

Attachments

• blog-glossary-3-5mm-cable-jack-connector.jpg
    blog-glossary-3-5mm-cable-jack-connector.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 346

niko said:
I am testing gt450w now and it can record on 64Gg Sandisc microsd memory card so I assume GT550W has same compatibility despite being advertised as max 32gb, but I am sure it can support 64gb and Foxoffer will test and change this info soon
GT550W with gps antenna will be about twice cheaper than dod ls330w.
Test the GT550W with sandisk 64gb memory card, it works well.

roadwarrior5090 said:
Now who else in the North America does this? Well, Apple sure does. But these DOD guys has provided me a level of support as good as Apple did. I have worked as a General Manager of a certain retail chain for 30+ years, and for those people who thinks "25% markup for branded versus no-brand is normal" are very, very wrong. I don't know how much it costs them to get these into Canada or USA, but has anyone factor in various costs such as operating cost, staff to answer the phone, insurance cost, marketing cost, return cost, et cetera? These adds up tremendously.

LOL post of the year. :lol:
Get real, if you need Apple type support what on earth are you doing on this forum to begin with?
I would just like to know one thing (since you're so friendly with DOD Canada support): Can you get a firmware update to your camera?

Any comment from those who got the GT550W recently? How's the reliability, video quality etc?

I want to hear more real life experience before taking the plunge.

The camera is available at FoxOffer, but it doesn't have the GPS function available yet... so you are getting the GT300W with GPS capability, when it is available. :cry:

Now we're talking......... (WDR with GPS! I'm interested)

I've been waiting for the perfect dashcam. I'd like to know if my 1-5 are met with the GT550W. (branded or unbranded is fine)

As I just posted in the BlackVue DR550GW-2CH thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1599&p=22619#p22619

1) Camera must be discreet'ish
2) Bitrate must be high > or = 12Mbps, clear 1080P video ("decent" Audio is fine)
3) Auto Exposure responds smoothly when driving through shadows and turning into and away from direct sun.
3) Night recording must be acceptable.
4) GPS/Time
5) Supports 64GB card minimum (stable, auto loop records set it and forget it reliability)

Only after the above features are met will I entertain extra bells and whistles.
-Dual Camera
-WiFi
-DVR Playback App (PC/Mac)
-If a screen isn't built in, mini hdmi out for use with car stereo video hdmi input. (new Clarion NX603 etc)
-Battery backup (or at last the capacitor to finish writing to card works)

I'm not going through the trouble of ripping apart my car to hide wires and install a camera unless I know I'm going to be satisfied/happy.

I'll be following this thread so keep the reviews flowing please.

Back