GT550W WDR GPS F1.6 from Shadow Tec by TioTec dash camera

Re: GT550W WDR GPS F1.6 from Shadow Tec by TioTec dash camer

JazJon said:
Now we're talking......... (WDR with GPS! I'm interested)

I've been waiting for the perfect dashcam. I'd like to know if my 1-5 are met with the GT550W. (branded or unbranded is fine)

As I just posted in the BlackVue DR550GW-2CH thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1599&p=22619#p22619

1) Camera must be discreet'ish
2) Bitrate must be high > or = 12Mbps, clear 1080P video ("decent" Audio is fine)
3) Auto Exposure responds smoothly when driving through shadows and turning into and away from direct sun.
3) Night recording must be acceptable.
4) GPS/Time
5) Supports 64GB card minimum (stable, auto loop records set it and forget it reliability)

Only after the above features are met will I entertain extra bells and whistles.
-Dual Camera
-WiFi
-DVR Playback App (PC/Mac)
-If a screen isn't built in, mini hdmi out for use with car stereo video hdmi input. (new Clarion NX603 etc)
-Battery backup (or at last the capacitor to finish writing to card works)

I'm not going through the trouble of ripping apart my car to hide wires and install a camera unless I know I'm going to be satisfied/happy.

I'll be following this thread so keep the reviews flowing please.

You will find my post from other topic with what I see at the moment available to meet most of your needs listed above:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2187&p=22486#p22486

Last edited by a moderator:

niko said:
You will find my post from other topic with what I see at the moment available to meet most of your needs listed above:

Some of those look interesting....... I guess I need to keep reading, missed those.

JazJon said:
niko said:

Some of those look interesting....... I guess I need to keep reading, missed those.

THose two dash cam I suggested there are the closest to your needs. I dont know any other makes yet that would fully suits mine or other people requirements. I guess there never be a fully perfect dash cam.

Has anyone asked FoxOffer when the GPS addon will be available?

Yes when is it available??
Can you just order the 550 and get the GPS unit elsewhere?

That's a good question

I'll send them a question now

I mean what is the point of the 550? Without GPS isn't it just a 300?

wdkingery said:
I mean what is the point of the 550? Without GPS isn't it just a 300?

there's not much between a lot of the models they do

At the moment by specs there are many TioTech GT300W based dash cameras out there. Many have same body / shell. Some have other body / shell design. I guess "they" do it because market would not get bored. I can compare it with car industry. In many cases next "new" model has slightly different outer body design, but engine and interior stays the same ( Example Passat B6, Passat B7, Passat CC, - they all have relatively same interior design for the past 8 year, just outer body design difference ). So same is with dash camera market.

JazJon said:
Now we're talking......... (WDR with GPS! I'm interested)

I've been waiting for the perfect dashcam. I'd like to know if my 1-5 are met with the GT550W. (branded or unbranded is fine)

As I just posted in the BlackVue DR550GW-2CH thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1599&p=22619#p22619

1) Camera must be discreet'ish
2) Bitrate must be high > or = 12Mbps, clear 1080P video ("decent" Audio is fine)
3) Auto Exposure responds smoothly when driving through shadows and turning into and away from direct sun.
3) Night recording must be acceptable.
4) GPS/Time
5) Supports 64GB card minimum (stable, auto loop records set it and forget it reliability)

Only after the above features are met will I entertain extra bells and whistles.
-Dual Camera
-WiFi
-DVR Playback App (PC/Mac)
-If a screen isn't built in, mini hdmi out for use with car stereo video hdmi input. (new Clarion NX603 etc)
-Battery backup (or at last the capacitor to finish writing to card works)

I'm not going through the trouble of ripping apart my car to hide wires and install a camera unless I know I'm going to be satisfied/happy.

I'll be following this thread so keep the reviews flowing please.

Just looked at the BlackVue DR550GW and I was VERY disappointed that this high-end (high price) dash-cam has 6 and 2 Mbps bit rate, resulting in high compression and blurry image. Looks like I'll be looking at the Chinese knock offs to get something 10-12 Mbps.

PiCASSiMO said:
Just looked at the BlackVue DR550GW and I was VERY disappointed that this high-end (high price) dash-cam has 6 and 2 Mbps bit rate, resulting in high compression and blurry image. Looks like I'll be looking at the Chinese knock offs to get something 10-12 Mbps.

I'm in the same boat, was VERY interested in BlackVue. The "custom" firmware Mio created for the BlackVue 500GW came close to being good enough but just wans't there even maxed out.

I'm nearly convinced to get the first best bang for the buck version of a WDR GPS enabled dashcam. It's on the edge of being too big possibly though. Look how good the quality is of the "Smallest Ambarella Car DVR" It's tiny, inexpensive, and even has GPS!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smallest ... 01063.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0801-Ambar ... 1c3416a250
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001

(any reason to steer clear of it?)
I really want to push maximum stealth factor. Several people said Jokiin is weeks away from releasing something spectacular but not sure what it is.

JazJon said:
PiCASSiMO said:

I'm in the same boat, was VERY interested in BlackVue. The "custom" firmware Mio created for the BlackVue 500GW came close to being good enough but just wans't there even maxed out.

I'm nearly convinced to get the first best bang for the buck version of a WDR GPS enabled dashcam. It's on the edge of being too big possibly though. Look how good the quality is of the "Smallest Ambarella Car DVR" It's tiny, inexpensive, and even has GPS!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smallest ... 01063.html
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001
(any reason to steer clear of it?)
I really want to push maximum stealth factor. Several people said Jokiin is weeks away from releasing something spectacular but not sure what it is.

From what I heard, smallest amb dvr is good ( never tested myself ), but in low light it is no match for TioTech-type or NT96650 + AR0330 within that price-range.
Need to wait and not rush jokiin to speculate with pictures. When its done, its done, then we can see if have some patience.
From all available good dash cams within that price-range for best discrete install you can watch my review of my ideas in DIY Project section:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2167

Maybe you will find there some good ideas for your DIY install.

niko said:
From what I heard, smallest amb dvr is good ( never tested myself ), but in low light it is no match for TioTech-type or NT96650 + AR0330 within that price-range.
Need to wait and not rush jokiin to speculate with pictures. When its done, its done, then we can see if have some patience.
From all available good dash cams within that price-range for best discrete install you can watch my review of my ideas in DIY Project section:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2167

Maybe you will find there some good ideas for your DIY install.

Smallest Ambarella has decent night recordings and meets the best bang for the buck factor. This one seems to be the latest v2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-0801-Ambar ... 1c3416a250 and "ok", but current firmware forces you to use KPH and GPS changes your timezone to be off every time it's enabled. So again "decent" night recordings but is no match for WDR you're right. I should just wait uhg! The biggest rush is so I can time the install of my new Pioneer AppRadio 3 and power/gps/video wires to be done at the same time if possible. If the timing is not right I'll just have to rip the car apart twice then I guess. I could probably still run the generic power wires hmmm. (possible hdmi too though, never know)

I saw your DIY Project, just commented on the dirt line of the windshield wipers being int he way if you go too high
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2167&p=22801#p22801 (I added photos of my smarcar's problem area)

niko said:

it's decent but not as good video result as the LS300W, I've got a couple here with upgraded lens and higher bitrate but still a bit behind video wise, it is compact and convenient for something with GPS included though, to be fair it does sell cheaper so overall a decent solution

wdkingery said:
Yes when is it available??
Can you just order the 550 and get the GPS unit elsewhere?

I sent them a message

When will the GPS option be available?

If I buy this camera now will it be possible to buy just the GPS add on by
itself at a later date? How much will it be?

Reply was

The manufacturer said might be available in few weeks, but we don't have a specific time this moment.
If there is new progress will update on the web store.

Since the new model will simply add GPS, I'm assuming everything else will physically be the same.

It seems both Amberlla AND DOD/TioTec models use full sized HDMI output port & standard mini-USB input ports for power.

This means I can go ahead with my car stereo install and pre-run the hdmi/mini-usb/microphone wires right away.
(even if I don't know which cam I'm ordering, I'm ready to go hopefuly)
This will save me from having to do a double install, and get my new AppRadio 3 going right away. (while I wait for the perfect DashCam)

Can someone confirm the super long Auto-power cable is regular mini-USB at the end? I'm surprised the cams don't use micro-USB and mini/micro-HDMI

Also, I plugged in WDR GPS into eBay to see what pops up and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-f210-108 ... 3f284d97b9
I doubt HP actually made this, but curious if it's legit. It's too boxy compared to the landscape shape we like of the DOD/TioTec, but still interesting

and this:
DOD TG300 1080P HD Car Dash Camera GPS G-Sensor Motion Detection Driving Cam
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOD-TG300-1080P ... 2ec8cf156b
Is this one legit? ($160 is between high and low) We are hoping to see a $110'ish price right? (or GPS adds more than that?)

EDIT: Never mind learned the TG300 sucks:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1966&hilit=TG300

When I look at the picture of the HDMI cable included, one connector looks smaller so is it full sized or mini HDMI?

I plan on running HDMI to my AppRadio and using a self powered auto-HDMI switch. (7 bucks on amazon, works well in my tests at home so far)

just about every cam uses Mini HDMI not full size, Mini USB is most common but the cables are not always standard USB

jokiin said:
just about every cam uses Mini HDMI not full size, Mini USB is most common but the cables are not always standard USB

Ah ok thanks, I knew the photo of the HDMI cable that came with them looked as if one side was smaller. (you confirmed it's mini-HDMI!)

Yeah the included cable is generally mini HDMI one end and regular HDMI the other

Back