Hands on the Livue LB100. $100 korean 720p dashcam

Well, it was between this and the GS1000/2000. Both were roughly the same price, but this one seemed to have better night time performance and just overall better image quality. Not sure if its true, but the camera just looks solid all around.

Anyways, Just bought one from ebay. Said it'll be here in a week or so. Ill update you all when it comes in.

Also, I noticed you put "I think the camera is in 60HZ only, so for 50HZ countries is possible some flickering because of city lights"
That doesn't make much sense since cars electrical systems are DC. Unless of course you mean the street lights flickering at 50hz, which is a "slower" frequency than 60hz.

I hope you will like it because we expect better quality from korean cameras.

Added to the first post some info about chipset used and photos from the disassembled camera.
Regarding firmware, not so sure but I found two firmware names for this camera:
FW01_121115.bin (this is the name from camera SD Card but I don't know if it recognizing this name)
WINYCAM_V300_121115.bin (this is the name from the winycam site)
Also on their site they have a new version of the player which have some new function like lens settings, but not sure if it is working for our Livue. If it is not creating the correct cfg file we will have again wrong date and time on video.

enjoy,
Mtz

These camera focus test screens are taken by you?
Could you then try the camera out of the car moving away from some clear contrast objects?

Everything posted by me in this thread are made by me.
I will try your test and share results.

enjoy,
Mtz

Could you explain the function of this camera to me a little bit. Im curious how it turns on and off.

Does it have a small internal battery? Since its powered from 12v cigarrete lighter, does the unit shut down as soon as the car is turned off?

Does the camera automatically start recording once it has power?

I saw that the camera records in small clips (<30seconds). Does the software put the clips all together for one continuous video?

Mtz said:
I hope you will like it because we expect better quality from korean cameras.

(...)
Also on their site they have a new version of the player which have some new function like lens settings, but not sure if it is working for our Livue. If it is not creating the correct cfg file we will have again wrong date and time on video.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi Mtz!
I've been reading the Forum for a while and you posts are always very interesting.

With you past experience with the Itronics being controlled and set up via Wifi, don't you feel that this way of managing the Livue/Winy by repeatedly putting in and out the MicroSD card is a little bit frustrating?
One can never be sure everything is ok until it puts the card in the cam to verify... it involves having always around a PC or an Android phone/tablet.

I was considering a Dashcam without the LCD to give to my parents, just "to set and forget". With wifi (or bluetooth) you still need an android phone but at least all the settings can be changed and verified in real time.

With respect to the image quality and your comparison with the Itronics it seems to me that the Livue tries to increase the overall image brightness in a way that reminds me the ISO settings on the photo cameras, and this results into blacks that sometimes become very "blue-ish".
Also, it appears to be a larger halo around bright objects such as road lights with respect to the Itronics.
In general the image definition seems to me higher for the Itronics than the Livue, even if both have a nominal 1080P resolution; maybe due to different sensors or different image processor.

Thanks for sharing!

fez

1. Repeatedly putting in and out the MicroSD card is a little bit frustrating also because the place is very small and is not easy to take the card out even using a small nail.
2. Yes, the wireless thing is a very good and nice feature, also I like it very much but its costs more. This feature is good for people which accessing many times the recordings or doing other things like live watching, or frequently setup (for bright for example) but for a "set and forget" camera you can buy any small camera. I consider wireless the future of dashcams also because almost all people will have an Android or Mac object in their home.
For parents which are expecting to not play with the camera the best is to use a quality camera to not have surprises like not working , stopping, overheating so you need a quality (korean, maybe?) camera and this Livue is a cheap korean. Regarding overheating I don't understand why a manufacturer put the chipset to the front PCB of the camera which in some bad mounting solution can add the heat to it by the direct sun.
This is my measured temperature over the ceramic heatsink: 52ºC (125.60ºF)

3. The Itronics are two: one is 100HD with 1080p resolution and best image and the other is 250HD which is 720p like LIvue and night image not so great as 100HD. So when you compare with one of them you must specify the model.
I feel also the Livue is trying to offer the maximum brightness of the sensor, maybe too much gain. In a complete dark you will see some blue vertical stripes, but I consider not a bug because when is complete dark you can't see anything. Also I don't like the auto white balance is changing very often but this is not a big issue. A big I consider the lens are not so clear or sharp than I expect. Maybe just mine are like this.

Sutitan said:
Could you explain the function of this camera to me a little bit. Im curious how it turns on and off.

Does it have a small internal battery? Since its powered from 12v cigarrete lighter, does the unit shut down as soon as the car is turned off?

Does the camera automatically start recording once it has power?

I saw that the camera records in small clips (<30seconds). Does the software put the clips all together for one continuous video?

1. Yes, it have internal battery, you can see the first post with disassembled camera. When the camera is no receiving power anymore, depending of its status of the actual record it smart shut down in two ways:
- if the camera was recording in Normal mode (top back led blinking in orange) the camera will shut down in about 10 seconds
- if the camera was recording in Event mode (top back led blinking in red) the camera will shut down in about 20 seconds
So if you are planning to take out the card after stopping the engine check if the LED is blinking or not. Depending on sensitivity camera setup, the Event mode can be started by a closed car door.
2. Yes it is starting after about 40 seconds after it receives power. A blinking orange LED and a female voice is announcing you. (You can disable this voice in setup).
These are the start up sequences:
a. 8s > blackbox init
b. 20s > voice announcing "Normal recording will start" (or "Event recording will start" if your setup is made only for Event files)
c. 30s > video signal received. G-sensor init
d. 40s > start recording and save file on the card

The recording will stop in this way:
A. Normal recording:
These are the boot sequences:
a. 1s > recording counter stop. Still video out
b. 10s > voice announcing "Recording will be end"
c. 11s > camera shut down

B. Event recording:
These are the boot sequences:
a. 5s > recording counter stop. Still video out.
b. 20s > voice annuncing "Recording will be end"
c. 21s > camera shut down

So you can safely take out the SD Card after the voice announce.

The event saving duration can be smaller if the internal battery is not charged. For example because the dashcam was used only few minutes.

3. The viewer software is very simple. But if you want to join clips is very easy to do this with the free MP4Cam2AVI. Select what you want and save.
From my experience watching so many russian accidents, usually an event is in about 20-30 seconds. 1 minute clip is considered safe to contain an recorded event.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Chipset temperature.jpg
    Chipset temperature.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 621
Last edited by a moderator:
For those willing to mod the case, is there enough space in the case for air to move through it after you'd make some holes for the air to move from bottom to top for easier venting? Would it solve the overheating in a sunny day?

Multumesc!

Im a little suprised it takes about 40 seconds to start recording, but that isnt terrible. It ussualy takes me a few seconds to leave a parking lot or wherever I am at. also, you said its about 20 seconds from the voice till it starts recording?

Just a few other questions
1. To set up the config file, can I just use the WinyCam app from the app store? Im assuming I insert the sim into my phone, set up the configuration, and then just insert it into the camera?

2. Do you have any suggestions for mounting this particular camera. I believe you said somewhere that it isnt a suction cup, but rather some adhesive strip that sticks to the windsheild. did you just stick the camera somewhere and hope it was a good position?

Thanks again for you detailed response. Are you using this as your primary camera or are you just experimenting with it?

So can you use the WinyCam firmware update with this?

Until now I am not sure about firmware. See also my comments below. But the ebay Livue LB100 have everything from WinyCam except the case. You can look at my pictures from first post and you can see the PCB have round corners, as the form factor of WinyCam is. :roll:
On some WinyCam site I downloaded a zip file which is containing exactly the same BIN file but duplicated with different names: FW01_121115.bin and WINYCAM_V300_121115.bin. Later I found on another WinyCam site the file named WINYCAM_V300_130129_EN.bin which is for sure different and recent looking to their dates.
Until now not tested any firmware BIN file.

But if the WinyCam application is creating a different setup.cfg file compared to Livue application, then is something different in the firmware.

Sutitan said:
Multumesc!
[offtopic]Cu plăcere! (You know that I already envy you because living in Florida, no?)[/offtopic]
Edit: ha-ha DCM made an offtopic hack to the forum. I used the tags just for fun and the above white part just appeared. :mrgreen:

The startup and turn off tests where made using the Video Out. On the monitor you can see all the sequences. :mrgreen:

1. Yes, the WinnyCam application will do all things you wrote, not the Livue one (which is only in korean and also create a wrong setup file).
After some investigation I think are two models of WinnyCam/Livue:
- one which is upgrading with the file named FW01_121115.bin and is for our ebay purchased Livue LB100 and using the WinnyCam PC and Android sofware
- one which is upgrading with the file named WINYCAM_V300_121115.bin and I don't have information about how is working because not tried to update my camera with that firmware
You can see in my uploaded SD Card content from the first post that the Viewer have the name of WinyCam not the Livue one. If you will install the official Livue its name will be Livue Viewer on your PC. You can view the files with it but not create the configuration file.

2. Comparing with itronics mount system, we can say we have ball. (Not balls :roll: ) The ball from the mounting system can help you if you didn't perfectly sticking it. My advice is before mounting it to cover all sticking system with electric tape. Then use a double adhesive tape and play with the camera in different positions on the windshield. You can even drive with it, but use the power cable from roof to down to keep the camera more easy.
My advice you can see in my topic about windshield mounting.
Because the Livue have the lens on one side, not central, is better if your car have under the rearview mirror that black dots so a part of the camera will be hidden and protected from direct sun. The chipset is in a central position.
If you have some monitor, you can use it with some 3.5mm jack stereo cable.

3. Just experimenting because I like challenges. My daily camera is an improvisation and I will keep it because in the area were I live, a nice camera can be tempting for bad people. I have a friend which want a dashcam and if he will like it, I will sell to him for $100.

Mikk36 said:
For those willing to mod the case, is there enough space in the case for air to move through it after you'd make some holes for the air to move from bottom to top for easier venting? Would it solve the overheating in a sunny day?
I think this is the most ventilated camera in the world. :shock: Just look at pictures and you can see also a lot of slot holes around the border lens front case. If you want more holes on the front you can remove the LED plastic screen which is inside front case. On the back case you have more 3 different areas for cooling.
In the manual they say it can work between -5 and +55℃ and store between -10 and +65℃.

Take care if you want to open the Livue case and use a very good screwdriver to not damage the screws. Unscrew the easy unscrewing one of them and look how it fits to your screwdriver and use the perfect one.

enjoy,
Mtz

In the manual and on the SD Card the firmware filename is not correct.
There is:
FW01_121115.bin
and the camera expect the filename to be:
WINYCAM_V300_121115.bin

So if you want to update for some reason your Livue LB100 camera firmware, you must to use the filename:
WINYCAM_V300_121115.bin by renaming your actual FW01_121115.bin
In the manual, screenshot from page 21 have filename OK, but on the explaining text is the wrong filename.

Updated the first post with new information, also regarding the new korean firmware.

enjoy,
Mtz

when I turn on my car it says normal recording will start then while i'm driving it kinda chimes alot does that mean the event recording is kicking in? I don't think it is even turned on in my settings. Can you go down and list each of the setting you are using from the app?

Set the G-Sensor to the lowest value. If you still have many event files, increase the space allocated for the events taking some space from the Normal files. You can't disable G-Sensor.

I was hex looking to the cfg file and the 00 value is for the lowest G-Sensor sensitivity so even if trying to manually hex-edit the cfg file you can't disable the G-Sensor and I consider this normal because is a dashcam.

I will update the first post with Android application screenshots.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• WinyBBViewer configuration.jpg
    WinyBBViewer configuration.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 761
  • 5 WinyCam V300 - settings..png
    5 WinyCam V300 - settings..png
    69.4 KB · Views: 759
Please help me understand the power options on the LB100. Suppose I connect the power wire so it's always on and have the 'shutdown delay' option set to 12 hours. Does the LB100 use the g-sensor to determine the dash cam isn't moving any more and start the 12 hours shut down countdown?

Just got my camera! but i managed to do something stupid already. This is a first ever for me. I broke a microSD card in half! When trying to insert it, I thought it was in, and I tried closing the door on the camera. Broke the card :|

Thats no problem, as I have ton of SD cards laying around, (as well as a larger one I had intended on running anyways). The only issue is the firmware and the setup files.

Mtz, or anyone else who owns the camera, do you think you can upload all the files that were one the SD card. stupidly, I didnt back up the files, and now im stuck with a pretty, but useless camera in my car.

Sutitan said:
Just got my camera! but i managed to do something stupid already. This is a first ever for me. I broke a microSD card in half! When trying to insert it, I thought it was in, and I tried closing the door on the camera. Broke the card :|

Thats no problem, as I have ton of SD cards laying around, (as well as a larger one I had intended on running anyways). The only issue is the firmware and the setup files.

Mtz, or anyone else who owns the camera, do you think you can upload all the files that were one the SD card. stupidly, I didnt back up the files, and now im stuck with a pretty, but useless camera in my car.

Hey Sutitan,
have you tried their website? try this link

http://www.livue.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=2_2_3

No, and thank you for the reply.

However, I got to thinking, and realized that the camera really doesn't require most of those files. One is a firmware, which im assuming is loaded on to the cameras internal firmware storage, the other was a directory file, and the other was a setup file. I made a new setup file using the android app. I just plugged in my SD card, and it works fine now. Crisis adverted. Id still like the english manual, plus whatever else might have been on there.

Anyways, leason learned. Be careful when removing and insertng microsds. Hopefully ill be able to post a little test footage in the coming days after im done setting it up.

Also, has anyone messed with the image settings in the Winycam app? I left them all at the default (all values of 8 I believe). Curious to know if anyone has improved the image at all.

SuperAman said:
Sutitan said:

Hey Sutitan,
have you tried their website? try this link

http://www.livue.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=2_2_3

Sutitan said:
Mtz, or anyone else who owns the camera, do you think you can upload all the files that were one the SD card.
In the first post is a link containing the content of the SD Card. I know the first post is long, but I want to provide a lot of information.

Graeme said:
Please help me understand the power options on the LB100. Suppose I connect the power wire so it's always on and have the 'shutdown delay' option set to 12 hours. Does the LB100 use the g-sensor to determine the dash cam isn't moving any more and start the 12 hours shut down countdown?
The actual english firmware and software offer for the Power Save option only as On of Off. The korean software offer also the the delay based on hours. From my testings if you want to use the korean software to create the setup.cfg settings, for our Livue LB100 (which in fact is the WinyCam), will not work.

I think the dash cam use the G-Sensor to recognize the parking mode, but also we have an option called "Parking mode recording change" and if you will set it to Off, the camera will always record in normal mode, even the camera is parked.

The camera is always starting in Normal mode (or Event mode if you enabled this in settings) even the car is parked. After 6 minutes of no movement (and recording in normal mode) the camera will enter in parking mode.

SuperAman said:
Hey Sutitan,
have you tried their website?
On their site is the Korean firmware with korean voices. I am not sure if the WinyBBViwer can setup the korean camera.
The WinyCam sold by ebay seller can recognize the file update is the name is:
WINYCAM_V300_yymmdd.bin
So if you want to use a file which have another name you must to change the name.
The most easy way is to have the same file on the card but with different names, so if you want to use the actual firmware from the Livue site, the names should be:
FW01_130306.bin
WINYCAM_V300_130306.bin

On the WinyCam site there is an firmware which have the WinyCam name, but even it contains in its name the EN, for me the voice seems to be korean or is a korean girl which is trying to speak english. It is newer than the camera sold firmware but older than the actual Livue firmware: WINYCAM_V300_130226_EN.bin

enjoy,
Mtz

I received my LB100 from Lightnspace. The manual and box is all Korean, but the firmware on the sd card is FW01_121115_EN_영문펌웨어.bin. The voice is speaking in English.

So far, the video shows the date being October 1983 but when I bring up the config settings in the PC on the sd card, it has the current time and date. There's only one setup.cfg in the root of the sd card. How did you get it to be recognized?

Back