Hard-wire question re surplus cable

Johnwell

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Duo
Hi, I have recently successfully installed a Viofo 229 duo and hardwired it into my Subaru Forester. The installation went without any issues and the cable is all concealed. It works well with a good image from both cameras. I did install the rear camera upside down but the software was able to correct that.
I am in Australia with RH drive and fitted the camera behind the rear view mirror on the drivers side of the mirror mount with the adhesive on the "dotted" section. the wiring comes down behind the 'Eye-sight' enclosure.
I am not all that happy with the app on my iPhone and find it confusing and messy to use. But perhaps that is just my age showing!

My question and reason for this post:
I am less than happy with the large amount of surplus hard-wire cable that has to be stuffed under the dashboard near the fuse board, all ready to vibrate or cause some future problem. ( I appreciate that many vehicles would need it and that Viofo caters for the needs of many.)
I am thinking that I could easily cut off the surplus (coloured) cable after the voltage cut-off control and connect to the fuse-taps with pressure connectors. That would get rid of at least some of the surplus cable. For that matter it would probably be OK to cut off some of the black encased cable before the cut-off control using connectors also and reduce the spare cable to almost nothing.
Has anyone done this? Is there any reason not to do it?
I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

I wouldn't recommend you cut through the black cable, I would cut the coloured ones before installation if it helped to keep things neat, but now it is installed then I would leave it. Definitely do not cut the front to rear camera cable, that will be very hard to re-join.

Best solution is to get some cable ties and tie the excess into a neat roll or sausage, then tie that firmly to something solid so that you end up with no rattles/vibrations. Cable ties are cheap, easy to use and very effective. Get biggish ones rather than tiny, and cut off the excess so that it is neat. For the front to rear cable, it seems to work if you roll up the excess, but it is better for the signal to use the excess up on the way by not going straight, again you can use cable ties to prevent vibration and keep it neat, although it generally doesn't need them.

Back