Hardwiring on 2024 Kia Sorento Hybrid

thomagr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all -

I have a 2024 Kia Sorento Hybrid recently acquired a Viofo a229 Pro and so far I can't seem to make it work properly. The issue I am facing is how to hardwire it properly.

I know red goes on a fuse 'battery full time' and yellow goes on a fuse 'only powered when car is on'. However, even when testing the fuses using a circuit tester to validate fuse behaviors, the camera randomly stops and starts while I am driving. It does not always do it, but every other trip; even short trips.

Here is a schema of my fuse box and the two pairs I've tried:

hardwiring.png

I'm at loss as to what to try next. Any guidance from someone knowledgeable would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi all -

I have a 2024 Kia Sorento Hybrid recently acquired a Viofo a229 Pro and so far I can't seem to make it work properly. The issue I am facing is how to hardwire it properly.

I know red goes on a fuse 'battery full time' and yellow goes on a fuse 'only powered when car is on'. However, even when testing the fuses using a circuit tester to validate fuse behaviors, the camera randomly stops and starts while I am driving. It does not always do it, but every other trip; even short trips.

Here is a schema of my fuse box and the two pairs I've tried:

View attachment 70500

I'm at loss as to what to try next. Any guidance from someone knowledgeable would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Is there a STOP&START function on your car? Please choose the 90S in the setting of Enter Parking Mode Timer to confirm if it will help.

No STOP&START function on the car, though it's a hybrid, so the engine will sometimes shuts itself off to switch to battery. Note that the camera shuts off even when the engine is still running, so no correlation between stop/start and the camera shutting itself off. Parking mode is disabled, so the 90S fix does not apply here.

I don't have a hybrid but a 2022 Kia K5 with the A229 Duo. I used the HK-4 and wired to the two spare fuses with a fuse tap on each with no problems for a year and a half. I just tested the fuse for power and one spare is constant and the other one is switched. Hard wired with crimp connectors. The ground was a nut right next to the fuse panel. Could be a bad fuse tap loosing the connection while driving, or a bad crimp connection. I used brand name taps from Autozone instead of the generic Amazon ones.

Parking mode is disabled, so the 90S fix does not apply here.
I believe your next step would be to verify the constant battery power fuse socket and the ACC power fuse socket are providing power consistently while vehicle's ignition system is in "RUN" mode.

You could connect a multimeter to the fuse tap wire in some manner and a ground and when the dash camera turns off examine the voltage level present on the fuse tap wire being tested. Another way to do that same test is get one or two 194 bulb sockets and bulbs and connect the bulb socket wires instead of the multimeter leads. When you use two bulbs, you can monitor the constant and ACC power at the same time. You can monitor if the bulb(s) are illuminated when the dash camera turns off. One 194 bulb consumes about 250 mA @ 12.6V (3.15 W) so it is similar to the amp load that many dash cameras place on the constant battery power supply. Most (if not all) hardwire kits for dash cameras will not power the dash camera operations with power obtained from the ACC wire. The ACC wire is usually only used to detect when to enter/exit parking mode. It does that by checking whether vehicle system voltage level is present (12V to 15V for a 12-volt system or in some cases testing whether it's greater than 0V). That's when the hardwire kit knows whether to turn on/off the ACC power to the dash camera.

If you're not using parking mode (and won't be using it), you could connect the VIOFO hardwire kit's yellow and red wire both to the same ACC powered fuse socket in the fuse box. You would still need to verify the ACC powered fuse socket is powered the entire time the vehicle's ignition switch is in "RUN" mode (like I mention above).

@rcg530 thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately, this is a bit more involved that I have time for (as seen by the delay in my answer here). Plus I guess I would need special equipment to be able to connect additional equipment to the fuse to be able to determine which fuse works exactly as expected. My thought it that this is due to being a Hybrid mode. The disruption does not come from the start/stop of hybrid engine, it’s more random than that.

I recently tried a new pair of fuse (P/SEAT for BATT and Washer for ACC), but still not getting the expected results. Camera start randomly at night (even though Parking Mode if OFF) and stops randomly mid-drive.

Unless someone has a working configuration for 2024 Sorento Hybrid, I’m probably gonna drop this idea entirely :D

Back