Has anyone tested a 512GB+ Micro SD Card?

I CU2

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tested a SD card larger than 256GB on the A129 Pro seeing as the file sizes are so big?

Cheers! :)

No high endurance cards exist in that capacity, and if they did, they would be expensive af.

I've got a Sandisk Ultra A1 400GB card running in mine and still testing but all video at maximum bitrate has been fine with both channels active, so far it's looped three times.

This camera certainly chews through microSD card storage space at max settings for 4K 30fps at the front and 1080p 30fps at the rear at around 547MB per minute.

To give you an idea, with parking mode turned off you're looking at holding the following amounts of recorded driving data per card size when using maximum settings (these durations will increase with each lower bitrate used):

Code:
Card size - max video duration in minutes - max video duration in hours (rounded to the nearest hour)
16GB - 29.2 minutes - 0.5 hours
32GB - 58.5 minutes - 1 hour
64GB - 117 minutes - 2 hours
128GB - 234 minutes - 4 hours
256GB - 468 minutes - 8 hours
400GB - 731 minutes - 12 hours
512GB - 936 minutes - 16 hours

That gives a rough idea how much driving time you'd get at maxed out settings - parking mode will adjust that depending on settings used and you will fit much more video on a lower bitrate on the card.

Basically if you have an accident or car park prang with the bigger cards you've got much more time to get the data off the card.

Note that you do not need to use maximum bitrate on the A129 Pro, the lower bitrates can produce very good results, especially if you are only driving around the city at city speeds. Thinkware and Blackvue 4K dashcams use less than half the bitrate of the A129 and still call it "Extreme bitrate", although that does result in quality a long way short of the A129 Pro.

Also, note that H265 mode uses lower bitrates, switching to H265 will reduce the memory use/extend the card times by about 1/5th, it will give nearly an extra hour on a 4 hour sized card. It is hard to show any quality difference between H264 and H265, I think quality is essentially dependent on bitrate, not codec.

I didn't knew A129 Pro suports cards larger than 256GB..

I've been using a 256gb Sandisk ultra A1 in my 'regular' A129 Duo since it came out with no issues and am hoping to buy a 512gb Sandisk Ultra A1 for my soon to be delivered A129 pro.

If anyone has used or uses a 512gb card in their A129 Pro please report back here, I as well as others I'm sure would like to hear your experience.

A very large memory card is important to me because I don't use parking mode and instead continue recording at high settings powered of a cellink neo with 2 expansion modules for sometimes up to 24 hours before I'll return to and use the vehicle.

Back