HDR will be added on A119

You make a good point and it may be difficult to draw a comparison for a variety of reasons. Still, I think the Mobius experience suggests there could potentially be some trade-offs. It would be interesting to see some daytime images from the HDR enabled A119. The Mobius HDR took advantage of the 60 fps capabilities of their camera by using two simultaneous 30 fps captures. I'm wonder if that is the same approach taken here?
If they use this approach, would the HDR be limited to 1080P? A119 can do only 30fps at 1440.

If they use this approach, would the HDR be limited to 1080P? A119 can do only 30fps at 1440.

I believe so. The way it worked on the Mobius 2 was that 1080P @ 60fps was split into 1080P @ 30 fps x 2 at different exposures for the dual frame HDR. So, I'm just speculating that it is possibly the way it is being accomplished on the A119 which can also do 1080P @ 60fps. With that approach 1440 @ 30 fps wouldn't work unless it was shooting at 15 fps. Of course, perhaps an entirely different approach is taken?

Last edited:
Any idea when the update may be released? (days? weeks?)

Any idea when the update may be released? (days? weeks?)

Relax fella........... They are constantly working on it but the key is to get it right as possible before release and then rely on us to tweak and I don't see a problem with that because mass feedback is crucial and ongoing for future delelopment

Yes, just want to show how clearly the car license number.

I look forward to this improvement. The last dashcam I owned (no name but Ambarella cpu) they never bothered with any firmware updates.

It's nice to see Viofo making the effort, thank you.

Relax fella........... They are constantly working on it but the key is to get it right as possible before release and then rely on us to tweak and I don't see a problem with that because mass feedback is crucial and ongoing for future delelopment

I'm in no hurry , but usually when something is announced an estimated time of release is given.

Smoke a doobie and let's wait on it together.

Can A119S also have this feature?

Last edited:
Novatek is also on A119S like on A119. Same chipset for both cameras, only the CMOS are different.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is the WDR feature just on the A119S?

WDR seems to do a great job with shadow detail.

WDR is a rather generic term and although it just generally means wide dynamic range it can encompass other features such as multiple exposure

WDR is a rather generic term and although it just generally means wide dynamic range it can encompass other features such as multiple exposure

I guess if one wants to get fussy about things, multiple exposure is HDR, a different thing entirely, except with similar intended results.

I guess if one wants to get fussy about things, multiple exposure is HDR, a different thing entirely, except with similar intended results.

I'm not sure if the naming convention used is due to whoever owns the rights or whatever, they're doing the same sort of thing though, I suspect before Apple added HDR to the iPhone a great many people would have never heard the term or had any idea what it was about, Apple do like to take existing technology and talk about it like they just invented it and people get reeled in to buying the iPhone every year, it does expose consumers to things they're not always aware of previously though so it's not all bad

I'm not sure if the naming convention used is due to whoever owns the rights or whatever, they're doing the same sort of thing though, I suspect before Apple added HDR to the iPhone a great many people would have never heard the term or had any idea what it was about, Apple do like to take existing technology and talk about it like they just invented it and people get reeled in to buying the iPhone every year, it does expose consumers to things they're not always aware of previously though so it's not all bad

HDR - "High Dynamic Range" is a photography technique that has been around for a very long time. I was first introduced to the technique (for digital) almost twenty years ago. Apple's use of the term is irrelevant and besides the point except to people who don't know any better.

Edit: Nobody "owns the rights" to HDR. It is a technique that can even apply to analogue film where the technique was first introduced.

HDR - "High Dynamic Range" is a photography technique that has been around for a very long time. I was first introduced to the technique (for digital) almost twenty years ago. Apple's use of the term is irrelevant and besides the point except to people who don't know any better.

my point was not everyone is a photography buff, plenty of people had never heard of it but once you get Apple put it into a product that everyone knows about and touting it on a world stage like they just invented it all of a sudden everyone knows about it and it gets adopted as a marketing term by all and sundry, whether they're actually using the technique or not

my point was not everyone is a photography buff, plenty of people had never heard of it but once you get Apple put it into a product that everyone knows about and touting it on a world stage like they just invented it all of a sudden everyone knows about it and it gets adopted as a marketing term by all and sundry, whether they're actually using the technique or not

And my point is that HDR is an entirely different technique than WDR. And the reason I was making that point was because your original comment about this was highly misleading, especially to consumers who are not "photography buffs".
You said, "WDR is a rather generic term and although it just generally means wide dynamic range it can encompass other features such as multiple exposure." This is not at all accurate. It is better to educate people rather than add further confusion.

When you use multiple exposures optimized to capture both the shadows and the highlights to capture the full range of tones in an image it is called HDR - High Dynamic Range. WDR - Wide Dynamic range is an algorithm that sort of imitates and is a broad approximation of the process done in a single exposure.

True HDR can be a magical and rather astonishing technique when applied masterfully. WDR as we know it in dash cameras is a band aid by comparison and although it can be very helpful at its best offers only marginal improvements and sometimes makes dash cam videos worse.

True HDR
hdr.jpg

Although I mentioned that I was first introduced to this technique twenty years ago that was when digital photographers started to use it. This thread got me thinking about the earlier days when I first learned HDR techniques studying architectural photography under Norman McGrath in NYC in the early 1980s. It was done on film in large format view cameras using multiple exposures, each optimized for particular light sources. Such techniques ended up in digital cameras all these years later.

mcgrath.jpg

And my point is that HDR is an entirely different technique than WDR. And the reason I was making that point was because your original comment about this was highly misleading, especially to consumers who are not "photography buffs".
You said, "WDR is a rather generic term and although it just generally means wide dynamic range it can encompass other features such as multiple exposure." This is not at all accurate. It is better to educate people rather than add further confusion.

well you can blame Sony for that, they don't use the term HDR but they still do multiple exposure

Sony WDR.jpg

that's the information Sony provide, is there a reason I shouldn't believe what they have to say about what they do and how they do it?

As a camera manufacturer I think you should strive to educate customers rather than add to the confusion. When you say things like, ""99% of manufacturers don't even quote accurate FOV numbers" and "there's no way for an end user to know if the spec offered is correct or not either" you are part of the problem.

As a camera manufacturer I think you should strive to educate customers rather than add to the confusion. When you say things like, ""99% of manufacturers don't even quote accurate FOV numbers" and "there's no way for an end user to know if the spec offered is correct or not either" you are part of the problem.

that's what happens, whether you like it or not it's the reality of what goes on, there are thousands of companies making cameras, the majority out of China and I could think of maybe 5 or 10 that publish accurate information, too many just cut and paste whatever was on their last model and accuracy goes out the window

Back