HDR will be added on A119

viofo

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
A129 Pro / A129 Duo / A119 V3 / A119S / G1W-S / WR1/
We are tuning the HDR on A119 now, soon the firmware will be offered for public testing.

With HDR on, better to see clearly for car license number at night, also have better white balance.

Attached 2 video screenshots for reference(HDR enbaled - Left pic).

1.jpg
2.jpg

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    993.2 KB · Views: 55
Nice, good to see you are improving the firmware.

One question however, in the second picture you show a clear number plate but everything else in the picture is blurred? How come?

HDR is not like WDR.

HDR is supported by sensor, this require Novatek to implement it.

The sensor utilizes an advanced 2-micron OmniBSI-2™ pixel to provide best-in-class low-light sensitivity and high dynamic range (HDR).

HDR is not like WDR.

HDR is supported by sensor, this require Novatek to implement it.

The sensor utilizes an advanced 2-micron OmniBSI-2™ pixel to provide best-in-class low-light sensitivity and high dynamic range (HDR).

Thank you for the technical information. Do all the A119's have the OmniBSI-2 fitted or just the A119 version 2? 1.4 or 1.1 µ sensor 1.1 µ being the improved unit.
I noticed that time stamp on the photos are in June and at 1.30am!!(assume it is at night) Late night at work!

The only main difference between V1 and V2 is the GPS connection system used on the back. Sensor/CPU is the same. (so same firmware for V1/V2)

Nice, good to see you are improving the firmware.

One question however, in the second picture you show a clear number plate but everything else in the picture is blurred? How come?

Yes, just want to show how clearly the car license number.

As the previous poster stated, everything else in the photo is blurred including the other text (on the sign). It would be, literally, impossible for the plate to appear like this when everything else is blurred. The plate was clearly Photoshopped in.

I think that I do not process it by Photoshop.
In the case of Ambarella A7, A12 + OV4689 and HDR On, it is possible to suppress motion blur only in the brightly lit part.
Please watch a movie from 1 minute 10 seconds.

In the case of Novatek + OV4689 and HDR On, I think there is a possibility that it can be done in the same way.

Last edited:
To avoid motion blur when moving fast you need enough light, most of the image did not have enough light, the plate did.

The HDR consists of two separate exposures, a very fast one that has no motion blur but everything black unless it is in the direct beam of the headlights (the plate and a bit of the wall, followed by a normal frame with a slow exposure which is motion blurred all over and over exposed in the direct beam of the headlights. By adding the detail from the first frame to the second you get the final image. Most of it is motion blurred in both because the car is moving but the bit directly in front of the headlights, including the plate and a bit of the wall gets the detail from the first fast exposure with no motion blur, but there is not much from that frame, most of it was black except for the bits that where over exposed in the second frame.

To avoid motion blur when moving fast you need enough light, most of the image did not have enough light, the plate did.

The HDR consists of two separate exposures, a very fast one that has no motion blur but everything black unless it is in the direct beam of the headlights (the plate and a bit of the wall, followed by a normal frame with a slow exposure which is motion blurred all over and over exposed in the direct beam of the headlights. By adding the detail from the first frame to the second you get the final image. Most of it is motion blurred in both because the car is moving but the bit directly in front of the headlights, including the plate and a bit of the wall gets the detail from the first fast exposure with no motion blur, but there is not much from that frame, most of it was black except for the bits that where over exposed in the second frame.
That's a good explanation. Notice how the plate reflection in the car bodywork is also sharp.
upload_2017-10-3_10-12-5.png

Last edited:
That's a good explanation. Notice how the plate reflection in the car bodywork is also sharp.
View attachment 33553

unfortunately the standard internet response these days is "I don't understand how this could be, therefore it must be photoshopped"

reality is there would be zero to gain from photoshopping an image when talking about an upcoming firmware improvement

View attachment 33553
That was some detailed photoshopping :D

I noticed that in the first image, even the dark areas are sharper, seems to be because the dark frame was taken at a faster shutter speed with the new firmware and so has less motion blur, but it is also a little darker as a result.

Remember when comparing dash cameras in the dark, the one with the brightest night image is not necessarily the best because brighter often = slower exposure = more motion blur. You only need a certain amount of brightness in a dashcam at night because you always have your headlights on and there are normally street lights. The latest sensors are sensitive enough that we can use them for faster exposures and thus less motion blur rather than just to see something in the dark.

Wow this is really good news. and the output looks shows promise for sure. looking forward to it for sure.

The Mobius M2 initially offered a very similar HDR feature that had impressive performance except that it created other imaging quality issues that couldn't be overcome, so it was eventually abandoned. Let's hope that the same thing doesn't happen here because these screen shots look really impressive and promising. Hopefully, the different hardware platform and SDK will be much more viable.

The Mobius M2 initially offered a very similar HDR feature that had impressive performance except that it created other imaging quality issues that couldn't be overcome, so it was eventually abandoned. Let's hope that the same thing doesn't happen here because these screen shots look really impressive and promising. Hopefully, the different hardware platform and SDK will be much more viable.
Viofo got the basics right with the camera first, and now they're looking to add HDR further down the line. Mobius tried to implement it from day one and consequently gave themselves a much bigger task. I agree the A119 HDR previews look really good.

Viofo got the basics right with the camera first, and now they're looking to add HDR further down the line. Mobius tried to implement it from day one and consequently gave themselves a much bigger task. I agree the A119 HDR previews look really good.

You make a good point and it may be difficult to draw a comparison for a variety of reasons. Still, I think the Mobius experience suggests there could potentially be some trade-offs. It would be interesting to see some daytime images from the HDR enabled A119. The Mobius HDR took advantage of the 60 fps capabilities of their camera by using two simultaneous 30 fps captures. I'm wonder if that is the same approach taken here?

You make a good point and it may be difficult to draw a comparison for a variety of reasons. Still, I think the Mobius experience suggests there could potentially be some trade-offs. It would be interesting to see some daytime images from the HDR enabled A119. The Mobius HDR took advantage of the 60 fps capabilities of their camera by using two simultaneous 30 fps captures. I'm wonder if that is the same approach taken here?
Clearly not taking two similar exposures, one is much faster than the other.

There will always be some issues in merging the exposures but this looks like it has been done quite well and probably won't have much effect on daylight images.

The mini 0806 also had HDR where it took multiple exposures and merged them, but the multiple exposures were too similar and you frequently saw multiple ghost images from fast movement with a result that it was hard to say that it was any better overall than the Mobius. The A119 uses the same sensor as the 0806 but it looks like Novatek have done a better job than Amberella, and/or Viofo have done a better job than "mini".

Clearly not taking two similar exposures, one is much faster than the other.

There will always be some issues in merging the exposures but this looks like it has been done quite well and probably won't have much effect on daylight images.

The mini 0806 also had HDR where it took multiple exposures and merged them, but the multiple exposures were too similar and you frequently saw multiple ghost images from fast movement with a result that it was hard to say that it was any better overall than the Mobius. The A119 uses the same sensor as the 0806 but it looks like Novatek have done a better job than Amberella, and/or Viofo have done a better job than "mini".

I never said they were "similar" exposures nor did I mention anything about potential issues in merging them. I said they were two superimposed "simultaneous" 30fps exposures using the camera's 60 fps capabilities. What do you mean by "faster"? Exposure and fps are not the same thing. How do reach such conclusions based on what I said?

I'm glad to see the A119 being improved. thanks

Back