HDR will be added on A119

There are smartphones now with HDR but again, you got more processing power and memory in a device that sells for many hundreds of dollars or more. The new iPhone has it for example but look at what that costs.

I'm not even sure if what they're doing is entirely the same, notice in the link you posted some mention of the iPhone supporting HDR content in games and from Netflix, different function they're referring to maybe, not sure ???

I know they use HDR for photos but can't find any detail about whether it's something they use when shooting video as well, might have to try and find someone that has one of these new iPhones and take a look, even if it does do it though it has way more processing power than we're likely to see in a dashcam product anytime soon so I still think it's something that's going to remain out of reach for the foreseeable future, not something I've looked into much but the more I do the more I think what the hell were the guys at Mobius thinking trying to do this

I'm not even sure if what they're doing is entirely the same, notice in the link you posted some mention of the iPhone supporting HDR content in games and from Netflix, different function they're referring to maybe, not sure ???

I know they use HDR for photos but can't find any detail about whether it's something they use when shooting video as well, might have to try and find someone that has one of these new iPhones and take a look, even if it does do it though it has way more processing power than we're likely to see in a dashcam product anytime soon so I still think it's something that's going to remain out of reach for the foreseeable future, not something I've looked into much but the more I do the more I think what the hell were the guys at Mobius thinking trying to do this
Doing anything useful with HDR for 8 bit video is very difficult, most cameras with HDR only do it for photos. With 10/12 bit video you can say that it is HDR without doing much, just need to get enough dynamic range out of the sensor, but that requires the move to 10 bit H265 or AV1 codecs which there is no sign of happening for dashcam processors yet. H265 is on the way with Novatek's next processor but I think that is still 8 bit only. HDR on TVs and monitors is simply 10/12 bit video support instead of 8 bit only.

The HDR on the A119 would not be desirable on a phone or normal video camera, it is designed to capture number plates at the expense of image quality, only suitable for surveillance.

Last edited:
The HDR on the A119 would not be desirable on a phone or normal video camera, it is designed to capture number plates at the expense of image quality, only suitable for surveillance.

too much movement in any kind of video for our needs, I would be interested to see if HDR could possibly offer some benefits if used for timelapse parking mode, outside of that I can't really see an advantage, not based on current hardware at least

too much movement in any kind of video for our needs, I would be interested to see if HDR could possibly offer some benefits if used for timelapse parking mode, outside of that I can't really see an advantage, not based on current hardware at least
The problem is that you are not interested in static scenes even for parking mode, when there is something interesting to see there is always movement.

On the A119 HDR there is actually very little movement between the exposures since the fast exposure is very fast, only long enough to pick up the bright lights and reflective number plates, the rest of the image from that exposure will be black, also the sensor has a built in HDR mode which allows both exposures to be collected together, it doesn't have to complete the fast exposure before starting the slow one, as it completes each line of the fast exposure it immediately starts on the slow exposure for that line thus the fast exposure appears on top of the start of the motion blur on the long one, not as separate overlaid images like we get from the mini 0806.

Yes even when parked there will be movement, nowhere near as much though, I can't see it working well when driving, every demo of it that I've seen so far left a lot to be desired for our particular application

Yes even when parked there will be movement, nowhere near as much though, I can't see it working well when driving, every demo of it that I've seen so far left a lot to be desired for our particular application
One thing that might work nicely would be to produce two videos, one using a fast exposure and one using a normal long exposure, then the normal exposure wouldn't get corrupted by overlaying the fast one and if a bright plate was unreadable on the long exposure video due to overexposure or motion blur you would be able to read it on the fast exposure video. We have processors capable of dual video streams, no reason why they shouldn't do dual videos from a single sensor instead of dual sensors...

You could possibly then overlay them to produce good HDR using the massive processing power and time available to a PC.

One thing that might work nicely would be to produce two videos, one using a fast exposure and one using a normal long exposure, then the normal exposure wouldn't get corrupted by overlaying the fast one and if a bright plate was unreadable on the long exposure video due to overexposure or motion blur you would be able to read it on the fast exposure video. We have processors capable of dual video streams, no reason why they shouldn't do dual videos from a single sensor instead of dual sensors...

You could possibly then overlay them to produce good HDR using the massive processing power and time available to a PC.
That's an interesting idea worth exploring. Alternatively you could have two lenses & sensors, optimised for day/night recording, but you wouldn't be able to overlay them.

Do I missed something? So HDR by default already turned on, on firmware v3.4?

There is no HDR in the official V3.4. Only in the beta version for now. Still testing/tweaking I assume.

I see value in having HDR at night, but I would not like to have to manually switch between WDR in daytime to HDR at night. Perhaps a compromise should be considered such as a mode that autonomously switches between WDR and HDR based on some threshold criteria such as average light intensity sensed by the camera over some extended period, so as to distinguish night from day.
yeap, that would be great..
WDR at day and HDR at night, automatically changes, not sure if that is possible..

I use HDR in the day anyways because i dont want to change manually every time and also it is not that much of a compromise.. but looking at the comparison makes one think about it.

Seems like the small compromise in perfect daylight is worth the much larger gains at night, especially at times where the sun is low, or overcast/fog/rain/snow, or other times where lighting isn't the best. I need parking mode more though so until hdr is sorted and released, I'll stick with the 3.3 I currently have on the cameras.

Seems like the small compromise in perfect daylight is worth the much larger gains at night, especially at times where the sun is low, or overcast/fog/rain/snow, or other times where lighting isn't the best. I need parking mode more though so until hdr is sorted and released, I'll stick with the 3.3 I currently have on the cameras.

3.4 has Parking Mode.

I don't mind the tradeoff, worked rather well for me due to brighter than normal headlights.

I think I'll give beta HDR another chance with more extensive testing, as maybe the benefits do outweigh the negatives.

yes, there is more life in video with HDR On, and not only after the sunset. :)

Why is the field of view a few pixels narrower on the HDR version?

Back