High Pitched Sound On Video Playback

SirDomino

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just received a B40/A118 camera (firmware version B40.20140814.001) and I have a very high pitched whining noise on playback, which is pretty loud. I have recorded both in the car and plugged into my office computer, and even unplugged completely running off battery and it still has the sound.

Is this from faulty hardware? or is there a setting or perhaps firmware update that can fix this?

I have included a video to show the problem.

Thanks!

Last edited:
unfortunately that's pretty common with this chipset. it's one of those frequencies that some folks just can't hear - i can barely hear it on mine, but it's about the same level as in your recording.

I never heard the high pitched whine on any of the demo videos I was looking at. So if I try to get it replaced I will most likely just have the same issue again?

personally it doesn't really bother me that much, but then i don't have perfect hearing either. i have to pick up my laptop and put my ear next to the speaker to hear the whine. working in a shop with air tools and no hearing protection took away some of my sensitivity to high frequencies. and yet my wife must have really damaged her hearing as a kid because she always has the treble set high enough to hurt my ears at normal volume levels in her car - it's a constant battle between us turning the treble up and down.

I guess if I wanted to I could run the video through a filter to eliminate the whining frequency, not sure how to do it, but I guess I could learn. But really I suppose Dashcams are for evidence, and the high pitched noise won't cause any issues with that purpose. If I do catch something interesting on cam that I want to upload to YouTube I'll just put a nice soundtrack to it... LoL. ;)

vsdc is a free video editing program for windows, and it's a matter of just a checkbox to remove the audio. you can then add subtitles or whatever.

personally i prefer youtube videos with natural/normal sound instead of some music dubbed over, but then again i'm a driver. check some of my other yt videos. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G A118 (B40) 17
MDashcam A118 (B40) 5
Jason Lim A118 (B40) 6
dimscene A118 (B40) 6
Back