Hit and Run--dash cam couldn't make out the license plate

Last time I tried to upload a 5 minute video to the police server, it hit their file size limit, and since they only accepted original unedited files it was impossible to upload my video; so I suggest that even our "measily 5min" files are too big!

Isn't it still the case that you can't power a gopro while it is recording, so you can't record continuously anyway?
And when the battery is flat, you have to stop for a long coffee break while it recharges before you can continue?
Oh my God, dude you have no idea what you are talking about.

I have a DIY cheap setup, modified rain cover for the port and small power bank tucked away. You can get a decent water proof rain protected cover and a water resistant small power bank that attaches to your GoPro for less than £60-70. My £10 setup works great too.
Again, talking out of your ****

I assume it is everywhere that uses the Operation Snap servers, which is a large area of the country!
It’s definitely not the Met that I am certain of: they don’t have the time to ask for raw footage. Give them what they are asking for period

And GoPro will replace your camera if it ever fails no questions asked.

I know because I have done it. I never paid for any extended warranty at Currys, they didn’t even ask for a receipt.

now that’s service mate....They even paid for postage to send the old one back!!! And gave me a free chest mount for the “inconvenience”....

Last edited:

I know because I have done it. I never paid for any extended warranty at Currys, they didn’t even ask for a receipt.

now that’s service mate....They even paid for postage to send the old one back!!! And gave me a free chest mount for the “inconvenience”....
I prefer cameras that don't fail :sneaky:

now that’s service mate....They even paid for postage to send the old one back!!!
I prefer cameras that don't fail :sneaky:
You are telling me you can take your Chinese PLA crap out in the rain....ever.....even for a second?

Mate, my GoPro failed because I was using it in London without a waterproof rain cover to record 4K continuous for more than an hour.... I am surprised it lasted a year

now, I record in 2k 60fps, with a battery pack and rain cover, charge the battery pack once a Week- no issues

You are telling me you can take your Chinese PLA crap out in the rain....ever.....even for a second?

Mate, my GoPro failed because I was using it in London without a waterproof rain cover to record 4K continuous for more than an hour.... I am surprised it lasted a year

now, I record in 2k 60fps, with a battery pack and rain cover, charge the battery pack once a Week- no issues
I don't think the PLA make any dashcams :ROFLMAO:

But I do have a camera on my bicycle that is made by a private Chinese company, is waterproof without a cover, has dual channels, and has been totally reliable :)

My Chinese crap dji Osmo action are supposed to be waterproof as is, but i am not trusting that statement one bit, cuz as a wanna be engineer ( dont have the education just do the work they was supposed to do / get their pay to do it ) then i have little faith in the seals on at least the memory card compartment.

I think if i am recording and it start to rain i will finish my recording with the OA camera, but no way in hell will i dunk my OA camera in the water without a proper waterproof housing.

Mine you i do think action cameras can be waterproof as is, and even for deeper water, but it require a few changes to the design philosophy they use.

1: There can only be one opening in the housing, battery and memory card should go there, and it should be a screw lid not a hinged flap.
2: The sealing O rings need to be bigger, the O ring that seal around the lens in the OA camera are pathetic and i have no trust in it, it should probably be a dual seal on any openings.
3: No stupid plugs for external audio, this should be BT or WIFI, a standard microphone plug is the need for another opening and so 1 more place things could go wrong.
4: The action cameras need to get a little bigger to accommodate a proper standard battery like 18650 batteries, that will give you 4000 MAH of capacity, and so fairly long recording times.

Last edited:
I don't think the PLA make any dashcams :ROFLMAO:

But I do have a camera on my bicycle that is made by a private Chinese company, is waterproof without a cover, has dual channels, and has been totally reliable :)

this is not a 4k or even a 2k camera. what is it? 1080p? Be my guest - next time see if you can capture any number plates because I am certain you CANNOT.

i am also certain you have no image stabilization, no ability to control shutter, protune colors etc, no ability to live feed to fb or YT. GPS - yes or no? maybe not. But you can always check with PLA regarding your location.

just checked the price - £229 - wao what a ripoff for chinese PLA crap. Dude, for £40 less, you could have gotten a GoPro Hero 7. what a waste to get this chinese crap.

the newsest GoPro is 5k!! How many 5k dashcams are out there? oh wait, let me guess. NONE

now i am certain you guys are ***. i couldnt for the life of me, figure out why you folks were recommending chinese crap over Garmin, and Nextbase.

to the OP, dont listen to these folks, get the garmin 2k, record in 60 fps and you wont miss a thing

Last edited:
My Chinese crap dji Osmo action are supposed to be waterproof as is, but i am not trusting that statement one bit, cuz as a wanna be engineer ( dont have the education just do the work they was supposed to do / get their pay to do it ) then i have little faith in the seals on at least the memory card compartment.

I think if i am recording and it start to rain i will finish my recording with the OA camera, but no way in hell will i dunk my OA camera in the water without a proper waterproof housing.

Mine you i do think action cameras can be waterproof as is, and even for deeper water, but it require a few changes to the design philosophy they use.

1: There can only be one opening in the housing, battery and memory card should go there, and it should be a screw lid not a hinged flap.
2: The sealing O rings need to be bigger, the O ring that seal around the lens in the OA camera are pathetic and i have no trust in it, it should probably be a dual seal on any openings.
3: No stupid plugs for external audio, this should be BT or WIFI, a standard microphone plug is the need for another opening and so 1 more place things could go wrong.
4: The action cameras need to get a little bigger to accommodate a proper standard battery like 18650 batteries, that will give you 4000 MAH of capacity, and so fairly long recording times.
things can get better. these are fair points. i absolutely love my GoPro and i am seriously thinking of using that as a dashcam now having read the naive BS here

I can voice control it using easy commands, no fiddling with buttons, on USB power it will record 2k 60fps continuously for hours or a 30min loop 2k 60fps- all voice controlled.

with a cheap vodaphone lte sim, i can even make it a much better parking monitor than blackvue, i know the battery pack will easily give >1 day of 720p continuous fps recording to the cloud. the newest gopro will give 2k cloud recording i think.

wonder if someone has made a motion sensor mod for a Gopro. and wala they have!

I dont think a PIR sensor ( for motion detect ) will not work thru glass, also not sure if a skilled person have room for adding conventional motion detect in a newer GP camera now that they have moved to their own silicon.

I would also not leave a expensive Gopro camera on my windscreen, that just scream steal me, though you can of course spend the same amount of money on a dashcam system, then these are still not as well known or recognizable as gopro cameras.
And if your minimum IQ wish are gopro level, well yes then every single dashcam out there will be a disappointment for you.

I just want my dashcams to log what i do with my car, so i can not be blamed for the wrong doings of others, actually the idiot Danish cyclists was one of the main reasons i got into dashcams in the first place, CUZ if i just touch one of them with my car i have to retake the driving test, and i am going to fight that all the way if it was the idiots own fault.
I will of course have to face anything i am to blame for, i see no problem in that and TBH i consider that a matter of honor even if there is a range of laws and traffic codes here i do not agree with, then they are there and so i must deal with that in a honorable way.

But my own testing have shown me that the 60 FPS i once believed to be the future of dashcams, well not so much, so i just stick with 30 FPS
Though to be absolutely honest then i would consider a dashcam that could do 120 FPS, CUZ that would be awsome for slowing down the idiots performing in traffic in the daytime, but not for photo / video technical reasons.
And even that would probably have to use another form of storage as 120 FPS to be useful would also have to be accompanied by a hefty birtate and so also hefty file sizes.

Regarding smarts in the form of anything cloud related, then i will have to pass as i do not use anything cloud, unless you consider youtube cloud cuz then i do, but also just BS i post there and everything have ben scrutinized and mixed before it end up there, just default upload anything to the cloud i would never use.
To a private NAS that might actually be more unsafe than the cloud,,,,,, sure i might consider that.

I have requested ANPR in dashcams, so i could enter a database of all unmarked police cars, and then have the camera warn me if it spot one, even if it is decades since i was a crook and i now always do my very best to drive within the Danish traffic code.

I do potograaphy too, and prefer to take photos in the light of a full moon or less for that metter, but here i use exposure times of around 10 seconds at least, so if you dont want motion blur, any movement in the frame are out of the question.
And then you can get sharp pictures, or time lapse / video lapse footage.

tumblr_oudw9kjIaT1wxv8ejo8_1280.jpg

Be my guest - next time see if you can capture any number plates because I am certain you CANNOT.
  • If you are on your phone then you may need to zoom in on the frame grab:
y4m-1Fm3VrKbbyShP6G_1F1pNGliHMMiML-0G-iOGZBMvTqpulnyi9MRxS6CSt-f3eg9en8D2Jm-ks7m__j9qmzgb00jQYNdmjBR5lX6Wmt41c3OoObulbQvy4KSNOdEThEUz-ipqI1j4RyH0upr97372aOzM-fCjkOxaVPg2BffZt2NWtxd7zdR-mpqcFEgW_N

am also certain you have no image stabilization, no ability to control shutter, protune colors etc, no ability to live feed to fb or YT. GPS - yes or no? maybe not.
  • The video of me riding over cobbles looked OK to me?
  • It has automatic shutter control, I'm not going to be adjusting it manually while driving!
  • Why would I want "Protune colors"? That is a GoPro invention, they can't even spell colour correctly!
  • I could live feed to YT, it has HTTP streaming, just need a suitable app for the phone to send it on to YT, although I'm not sure why I would want to.
  • Judging from the fact that the above image has the speed embedded on it, it seems that it does have GPS!

Well anyone doing just about anything on a phone i can not take serious, and even if phones have pretty good screens they are still small.
Also find it hard to deal with a person that just want to stream live himself driving a car / motorcycle or other vehicle,,,,, and it is the same with people that would watch such footage.
Actually i dont get the people that have subscribed to my own youtube,,,,, im like why ? most of the stuff i put there are only remotely interesting.

And dont get me started om vloggers, or people gaming with a PIP of them self sitting there doing it,,,,,,, that just rock my WTF boat so much, and not least people can make millions of google dollars doing just that.
I think i am too old for the world now, my BS filter are screaming constantly.

I dont think a PIR sensor ( for motion detect ) will not work thru glass, also not sure if a skilled person have room for adding conventional motion detect in a newer GP camera now that they have moved to their own silicon.

I would also not leave a expensive Gopro camera on my windscreen, that just scream steal me, though you can of course spend the same amount of money on a dashcam system, then these are still not as well known or recognizable as gopro cameras.
And if your minimum IQ wish are gopro level, well yes then every single dashcam out there will be a disappointment for you.

I just want my dashcams to log what i do with my car, so i can not be blamed for the wrong doings of others, actually the idiot Danish cyclists was one of the main reasons i got into dashcams in the first place, CUZ if i just touch one of them with my car i have to retake the driving test, and i am going to fight that all the way if it was the idiots own fault.
I will of course have to face anything i am to blame for, i see no problem in that and TBH i consider that a matter of honor even if there is a range of laws and traffic codes here i do not agree with, then they are there and so i must deal with that in a honorable way.

But my own testing have shown me that the 60 FPS i once believed to be the future of dashcams, well not so much, so i just stick with 30 FPS
Though to be absolutely honest then i would consider a dashcam that could do 120 FPS, CUZ that would be awsome for slowing down the idiots performing in traffic in the daytime, but not for photo / video technical reasons.
And even that would probably have to use another form of storage as 120 FPS to be useful would also have to be accompanied by a hefty birtate and so also hefty file sizes.

Regarding smarts in the form of anything cloud related, then i will have to pass as i do not use anything cloud, unless you consider youtube cloud cuz then i do, but also just BS i post there and everything have ben scrutinized and mixed before it end up there, just default upload anything to the cloud i would never use.
To a private NAS that might actually be more unsafe than the cloud,,,,,, sure i might consider that.

I have requested ANPR in dashcams, so i could enter a database of all unmarked police cars, and then have the camera warn me if it spot one, even if it is decades since i was a crook and i now always do my very best to drive within the Danish traffic code.

I do potograaphy too, and prefer to take photos in the light of a full moon or less for that metter, but here i use exposure times of around 10 seconds at least, so if you dont want motion blur, any movement in the frame are out of the question.
And then you can get sharp pictures, or time lapse / video lapse footage.

tumblr_oudw9kjIaT1wxv8ejo8_1280.jpg

jesus here we go again

this is taking too much of my time. why on earth would you, my dearest EU friend, use it to look outside?

A thief has broken into my car, a camera facing outside, front or back, is bloody USELESS. I will unmount my gopro and put it near the coffee mug holder facing up so it captures the bloody face of the would be thief, uploads it automatically on cloud and so my efficient PoPos at the Met can locate the bloody bastard. Does that make sense?

a hero 7 is pretty much dirt cheap now. we are on hero 9, 5k models these days. even those are 1/3rd the price of a useless blackvue

• If you are on your phone then you may need to zoom in on the frame grab:
y4m-1Fm3VrKbbyShP6G_1F1pNGliHMMiML-0G-iOGZBMvTqpulnyi9MRxS6CSt-f3eg9en8D2Jm-ks7m__j9qmzgb00jQYNdmjBR5lX6Wmt41c3OoObulbQvy4KSNOdEThEUz-ipqI1j4RyH0upr97372aOzM-fCjkOxaVPg2BffZt2NWtxd7zdR-mpqcFEgW_N

• The video of me riding over cobbles looked OK to me?
  • It has automatic shutter control, I'm not going to be adjusting it manually while driving!
  • Why would I want "Protune colors"? That is a GoPro invention, they can't even spell colour correctly!
  • I could live feed to YT, it has HTTP streaming, just need a suitable app for the phone to send it on to YT, although I'm not sure why I would want to.
  • Judging from the fact that the above image has the speed embedded on it, it seems that it does have GPS!
maybe i need an eye checkup, you cannot read the car plate. omg, on my hero 7, 1440 60fps that car plate would be crystal clear.

are you kidding me?

maybe i need an eye checkup, you cannot read the car plate. omg, on my hero 7, 1440 60fps that car plate would be crystal clear.

are you kidding me?
Post some proof, with 4 white lines between you and a car...

Yes for theft / break in a camera facing front and back, if you are lucky you will just get the person approaching,,,,,, which would also be nice or a lot better than nothing.
But this scenario i am not even thinking about in relation to dashcams, i pretty much only use parking guard if it is a option on a test camera i am sent, cuz then i must of course also test this.
But otherwise i have never felt a need for parking guard, though it is clear to the eye that my little car have been violated several times in parking lots.

It was also violated on January 4 when someone broke into my car,,,,,, thankfully not by breaking a window.
So all i got from that was a urgent need to restore my camera surveillance on the parked car at home where this happened.
peibox_CAM 1_main_20210211181256_@1.jpg

This i feel give me a better chance, not least since the back yard are pitch black at night though there now are a 100 W PIR LED light there, but that would just blind the front dashcam, and there are no access from behind unless you scale garages or go thru other peoples gardens.
And in the case of tonight with the snow on my car nothing would have been captured by a dashcam in parking mode.

I am also planning on installing a camera that only record the driver seat for the amount of time the cabin light are on, for identification purpose.
Just run into a problem where to put a camera stealthy, and what camera to use.

Yes for theft / break in a camera facing front and back, if you are lucky you will just get the person approaching,,,,,, which would also be nice or a lot better than nothing.
But this scenario i am not even thinking about in relation to dashcams, i pretty much only use parking guard if it is a option on a test camera i am sent, cuz then i must of course also test this.
But otherwise i have never felt a need for parking guard, though it is clear to the eye that my little car have been violated several times in parking lots.

It was also violated on January 4 when someone broke into my car,,,,,, thankfully not by breaking a window.
So all i got from that was a urgent need to restore my camera surveillance on the parked car at home where this happened.
View attachment 55407

This i feel give me a better chance, not least since the back yard are pitch black at night though there now are a 100 W PIR LED light there, but that would just blind the front dashcam, and there are no access from behind unless you scale garages or go thru other peoples gardens.
And in the case of tonight with the snow on my car nothing would have been captured by a dashcam in parking mode.

I am also planning on installing a camera that only record the driver seat for the amount of time the cabin light are on, for identification purpose.
Just run into a problem where to put a camera stealthy, and what camera to use.
arlo 4k outdoor dashcam - top of the line, have internal batteries, IR and magnet mounts. just stick them anywhere if u have your own garage

Arlo are cloud cameras,,,, at least to a degree i think, not going there.
And yes i could do a 4K IP camera on my system, but that are not in my budget as a retired Dane on a pension.
Also i need optical zoom as this is filmed from my 2 floor apartment at a distance of 25 M or so ( camera put on balcony door ) a wide angle camera even if it is 4K camera would be useless for identification at least, and i need to make sure i F... up the right person if i cant get to do it right in the moment.
This give me a notification and alrm on my phone when a human shape are near my car, in which case i will launch into judge and jury mode as the spineless Danish society will not do squat about it.

Back