Hit and Run--dash cam couldn't make out the license plate

Arlo are cloud cameras,,,, at least to a degree i think, not going there.
And yes i could do a 4K IP camera on my system, but that are not in my budget as a retired Dane on a pension.
Also i need optical zoom as this is filmed from my 2 floor apartment at a distance of 25 M or so ( camera put on balcony door ) a wide angle camera even if it is 4K camera would be useless for identification at least, and i need to make sure i F... up the right person if i cant get to do it right in the moment.
This give me a notification and alrm on my phone when a human shape are near my car, in which case i will launch into judge and jury mode as the spineless Danish society will not do squat about it.
i understand. why are you worried about security in Denmark? I thought you guys were crime-free.

consider an older 2k arlo model. the service, quality, is impeccable.

there is a cheaper chinese alternative but you know what i think about it

I have always argued about people having too much faith in parking guard in dashcams, there ( too ) there are also many things that need to come together for the situation to be a win.
The camera i test using parking guard also have a timer function, which i also use set to 1 hour as that will cover all shopping of mine, cuz even if i have a pretty relaxed relationship with my stupid little car i paid too much for as "this is Spar,,,,,, Denmark", then i still want to nail the people that ding my car.
But it is not something that would be a top 3 priority of me going to spend my own money on a new system.

I also have side cameras on my car, but not something i would enable parking guard on, not even on a timer too.

crime-free
Well it is not Danes that top the crime statistics here, we have been abruptly overtaken by more "exotic" people, and the word a American president have used about African countries i would without shame use about my own country.
Actually in this past weekend 7 have been arrested for planning a terror attack here, and 7 more are charged, and even a related arrest in Germany

Dont ask me why my videos can not play on the forum any more ??? you will have to click watch on youtube if you can be bothered.

you need cloud connectivity in the car.
Well it is not Danes that top the crime statistics here, we have been abruptely overtaken by more "exotic" people, and the word a American president have used about African countries i would without shame use about my own country.

haha. wao, didnt realize the situation was this bad.

you need a cheap data plan and cloud connectivity.

i wish i hadnt gotten rid of my old iphones because on a cheap data plan, the find my iphone feature is a great GPSish tracker.

O there are ghettos here, you do not want to walk as a too proud looking white person, and you do not want to look any of the locals strait in the eye.
police and fire departments even have troubles operating in those areas.
Its a huge embarrassment to me things are the way they are.

Flat rate data plans are not to bad here, but as i use my phone on average 10 minutes a day and monthly use 1 hour talk and 1 GB of data that seem a waste of my 20 hour talk / 30 GB data plan.
I categories myself as a avid phone hater, from the late 90ties and well into the 00s i was without a phone and that worked just fine for me.

On my PC even if i dont need it i can not have too much data or should i say speed, i am on 1 Gbit cable now and looking for apartment with fiber and hopefully get 2-3-4-5 Gbit on fiber. ( price depending of course )

O there are ghettos here, you do not want to walk as a too proud looking white person, and you do not want to look any of the locals strait in the eye.
police and fire departments even have troubles operating in those areas.
Its a huge embarrassment to me things are the way they are.

Flat rate data plans are not to bad here, but as i use my phone on average 10 minutes a day and monthly use 1 hour talk and 1 GB of data that seem a waste of my 20 hour talk / 30 GB data plan.
I categories myself as a avid phone hater, from the late 90ties and well into the 00s i was without a phone and that worked just fine for me.

On my PC even if i dont need it i can not have too much data or should i say speed, i am on 1 Gbit cable now and looking for apartment with fiber and hopefully get 2-3-4-5 Gbit on fiber. ( price depending of course )
technology is a boon. recently, got my wife's 90 year old grandmother an Alexa show for video calling, all voice controlled. Now grandma is hooked on Alexa haha

Dont ask me why my videos can not play on the forum any more ??? you will have to click watch on youtube if you can be bothered.
They do play for me today :)

They didn't yesterday, I lost contact with all google websites, including search and Youtube!

And that is why a GoPro is quite poor as a dashcam, very wide angle so that by the time the plate is visible, it is rushing passed, and it uses a relatively slow exposure time to deliberately cause motion blur, especially at 30fps, in order to make smoother and more watchable movies.
I think the Garmin 66W (and then Tandem which gets you two way view front and back, though only the front gets 1440p30 and the rear 720p30) has a 180 degree angle view, unless go pros show more than this giving the fish eye view effect?
and this is how naive you folks are - my GoPro has a 1080, 120fps. That captures EVERYTHING even your eye blinks...
I'll wait till 1080p1000 becomes a thing for dashcam and I can have epic slow motion footage with decent details per frame that isn't blurred or pixelated....

I think the Garmin 66W (and then Tandem which gets you two way view front and back, though only the front gets 1440p30 and the rear 720p30) has a 180 degree angle view, unless go pros show more than this giving the fish eye view effect?
the Garmin viewing angle is likely around 110° tops, no brand name dashcams are doing 180°
I'll wait till 1080p1000 becomes a thing for dashcam and I can have epic slow motion footage with decent details per frame that isn't blurred or pixelated....
you may not live long enough for that to happen

I am afraid so, though i must admit that if i got my hands on a dashcam that could use 120 FPS or something like that, i might use it, definitely try it out.
Of course with 120 FPS you also have to tag on a high bitrate, so that would probably be more data that i would like to direct at a little memory card.

The problem is the more FPS you want to film in, the faster minimum exposure rate you get, and so bad low light performance.
The slow motion recordings you see with a lot of fps ( + 10.000 FPS and up to 10 trillion FPS not least ) well that fast even the light of the sun are not enough to illuminate the scene, and so you get dark footage.
But with plenty of light ( more than sun ) you can get razor sharp video / photos of something moving rally fast.

This illustrate it perfectly, though shot in daylight, you need flashes too if you want to see anything.

You can of course also get razor sharp images at 30 FPS, you just need the exposure time to be helluva fast, there are people that play with photography of fast moving things, you just need to take the picture at just the right time, to say get a picture of a 9 mm bullet just as it hit a egg.

If you want a sharp image at something that just move at a reasonable speed you need to use 1:500 second at least, if you want to film a light photon as it race past the camera you need 10 trillion FPS, and filming light as it move that have been done. i especially like the light in a mirror "trap" experiment performed by Berkley university.

If you wait for something better it will certainly;y come along in time, but doing nothing while you're waiting simply means you'll never move forward because there's always some better coming along. And in the meantime you get nothing :eek: So my philosophy is to do something now even if imperfect to benefit from what you can get today ;) Any images are better than none in many dashcam-related instances and good cams are relatively cheap so at least 1080p30fps with a good sensor in a reliable cam, and better if you can afford that :cool: With this you'll get quite a lot of benefit if you need it, at least enough to prove you bore no fault in an incident.

As much as 100% plate capture is our 'holy grail', plates can be missing or stolen or obscured so even with that, you still have no guarantee of identifying a car or culprit.
Get a good cam which will last at least a few years then upgrade as the march of technology makes today's best into tomorrow's budget-friendly stuff.

Phil

Do what i do, expect your camera to document all that you do with your vehicle, which just about any dashcam will do just fine day and night.
And then take all the other things a dashcam can also do some times as a bonus. and at least in regard to hit and run, pray you never need it, or you get lucky with your dashcam.

I have read that hit and run are on the way up here ( no wonder, but i will not get into that ) but at least i have never heard anyone i know or have met that have mentioned it happened to them.

I have found that polishing ther outside of my windscreen with an auto glass polish helps quite a lot by removing some of the fragmentation in the footage & reflects the glare from the sun away from the camera.

the Garmin viewing angle is likely around 110° tops, no brand name dashcams are doing 180°
66w.PNG

tandem.PNG
Hmm yes, definitely 110 degrees tops. :watching:

Damn.....
1080p30fps with a good sensor in a reliable cam, and better if you can afford that :cool: With this you'll get quite a lot of benefit if you need it, at least enough to prove you bore no fault in an incident.
What decent 1080p30 camera do you use that doesn't have pixellated blur when recording objects in motion?

Last edited:
The Mobius, G1W/C, B1W, B2W and K2S served me well, and all of my rear cams are still 1080p. IQ varies but all get enough detail to show that I did no wrong in an incident and therefore cannot be at fault. Pixelated trees are no concern to me and blurry images are more a function of lens quality and focusing than resolution and bitrate. None of these cams exhibited any excessive amount of those issues anyway.

1080p30FPS is the minimum I'm comfortable with or recommend- I have far better cams in service ATM including 2@ 4K and 2@ 2K. Much better images for sure, but in reality those improved images do nothing to increase any proof that I've done no wrong; everything necessary to do that was equally found in my 1080P30 cam videos.

The bottom line is that it doesn't take perfect imaging to benefit from having a dashcam, and even a crappy cam that records reliably is far better than having none ;)

Phil

View attachment 55724

View attachment 55725
Hmm yes, definitely 110 degrees tops. :watching:

Damn.....

What decent 1080p30 camera do you use that doesn't have pixellated blur when recording objects in motion?
Be careful of those FOV published specifications. Some years back I compared an SG9665GC (120º FOV) against a 'generic' A118C (168º FOV) - the SG camera was actually wider by a couple of degrees than the A118C. This is due to a couple of factors: 1) Horizontal versus Diagonal measurement, and 2) marketing 'exaggeration'.

Be careful of those FOV published specifications. Some years back I compared an SG9665GC (120º FOV) against a 'generic' A118C (168º FOV) - the SG camera was actually wider by a couple of degrees than the A118C. This is due to a couple of factors: 1) Horizontal versus Diagonal measurement, and 2) marketing 'exaggeration'.
Has anyone actually bought either the Garmin 66W or and the Tandem and have tested their advertised 180 degree field of view, compared to say one that's advertised at 150 or 120 degrees? And what's the difference between horizontal and diagonal measurement of 180 degree field of view?
The bottom line is that it doesn't take perfect imaging to benefit from having a dashcam, and even a crappy cam that records reliably is far better than having none ;)
It does when you want a clean clear video of an incident when its completely blurry or pixellated that you can't make a thing out....or at least the little details of it.....that you need or want for evidence....

Has anyone actually bought either the Garmin 66W or and the Tandem and have tested their advertised 180 degree field of view, compared to say one that's advertised at 150 or 120 degrees?...
I doubt it except for possibly some 'consumer protection' group or possibly an independent testing organization. Try searching for reviews and see how detailed they might be.

...what's the difference between horizontal and diagonal measurement...
Edge-to-edge versus corner-to-corner.

Has anyone actually bought either the Garmin 66W or and the Tandem and have tested their advertised 180 degree field of view,
A quick look on YT, and it is clearly not 180, it is fairly wide for a dashcam, maybe a bit too wide, but it is not 180.

With 180 you would clearly be able to see down the road we are joining at this T junction in both directions:
1615137243372.png

Back