Hot pixels on 3 new sg9665gc cams, severe on two

Dan Robinson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have three sg9665gc cameras purchased from Pier28 over the course of the past 2 months. All three have the hot pixel issue at night. The problem only occurs after the cameras have been running for an hour or more.

The problem is least noticeable on Camera #1 (front). On cameras #2 and #3, there are hundreds of hot pixels, some steady-glowing, others flickering.

I have attached this short video rendered out at 50mbps (no noticeable difference from the originals) showing the problem from the 3 cameras.

NOTE: you will need to download this file and play it locally to see it in full resolution. Dropbox's player severely compresses the playback. To download, click the icon with the 3 dots at the upper right of the page:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2t1famzvwjyrn3/hotpixels.mp4?dl=0

The video shows the camera views in this order:

Cam #2 - rear
Cam #3 - driver's side
Cam #1 - front

I know there is a calibration process that I can try doing, but the problem is so severe on cams #2 and #3, particularly with the flickering pixels, that I'm concerned it won't entirely repair the issue. Any advice?

Thank you, cameras are performing well during the day, I am pleased so far. Hope the calibration fixes this issue.

Just an update to this thread. I completed the calibration process on all three cameras, and the static (non-flickering) hot pixels all went away - a dramatic improvement. However, the flickering pixels remain. These appear in greatest number when there is a bright light source in the frame at night, such as an oncoming vehicle or bright city lights against a dark sky.

I can live with it for now, but I wanted to make the company aware in the event there is a possible solution to this in the future.

I made this animated GIF of a 100% crop of the flickering hot pixel problem:
hotpixels.gif

If you're on tapatalk hit the three dot icon in the upper right and pick web view. I was then able to view the animated gif via pinch and zoom in iOS Safari.

Looks good. Feel free to run the calibration as many times as you wish. Be aware we are pushing the Sony sensor to the max for night performance so it's not always possible to make 100% of the minor partial ones completely disappear in the darkest conditions. (without sacrificing night performance)

Also feel free to try the latest pre release firmware as additional IQ improvements were made.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-firmware-updates-and-pre-release-access.16310/

Just an update to this thread. I completed the calibration process on all three cameras, and the static (non-flickering) hot pixels all went away - a dramatic improvement. However, the flickering pixels remain. These appear in greatest number when there is a bright light source in the frame at night, such as an oncoming vehicle or bright city lights against a dark sky.

I can live with it for now, but I wanted to make the company aware in the event there is a possible solution to this in the future.

I made this animated GIF of a 100% crop of the flickering hot pixel problem:
View attachment 20412

better to see a video example of what is happening in an actual situation with bright light source, oncoming vehicle etc rather than how it looks with complete black

also need to know your camera serial number and current firmware version

Back