How do I prevent windows steaming up?

mcaf123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
Would anyone happen to know of any tips and tricks as to how stop my car windows steaming up? We're coming up to the winter here in the UK and I'm about to get a Panorama X2 delivered and installed in my car. One of the key reasons I bought this is because of its parking mode, but what good will it be if my windows are steamed up if something needs recording and nothing can be seen?

The windows should only fog up when a person is in the car - and then you can run the demist or crack a window. Should not steam up unoccupied.

The windows should only fog up when a person is in the car - and then you can run the demist or crack a window. Should not steam up unoccupied.
Well that can't be true coz i see many parked cars new and old with steamed up windows

Well that can't be true coz i see many parked cars new and old with steamed up windows

Steamed on the inside or frosted on the outside? I would think the latter would likely be the case in sub-freezing weather.

"Steaming up" of cars inner glass ( windows ) usually caused by humidity and no air circulation.
Usually it happens when people sitting in car without engine running ( no ventilation, heater- and / or proper air circulation inside-out of the car. )
In those cases, when you leave your car ( and no person left in car ) , and after some time you still can see some windows steaming up, - this usually happened to me on winter time, when snow from boots melted and car floor carpet got wet. Water trying to evaporate and causing humidity, which causing steaming up of windows.
Maybe there are other causes as well.

Steamed on the inside or frosted on the outside? I would think the latter would likely be the case in sub-freezing weather.
At the moment steam on the inside. Its not cold enough for freezing yet

"Steaming up" of cars inner glass ( windows ) usually caused by humidity and no air circulation.
Usually it happens when people sitting in car without engine running ( no ventilation, heater- and / or proper air circulation inside-out of the car. )
In those cases, when you leave your car ( and no person left in car ) , and after some time you still can see some windows steaming up, - this usually happened to me on winter time, when snow from boots melted and car floor carpet got wet. Water trying to evaporate and causing humidity, which causing steaming up of windows.
Maybe there are other causes as well.
This definitely sounds like the most logical explanation of the scenario to me, but how do I prevent that from happening? Maybe leaving the windows open for a short time before leaving the car?

This definitely sounds like the most logical explanation of the scenario to me, but how do I prevent that from happening? Maybe leaving the windows open for a short time before leaving the car?
Leave the AC or Airvent air circulation "valve" open to outside.

Leave the AC or Airvent air circulation "valve" open to outside.
Is that the one with the arrow swirling within the car graphic? If so, my car has a button that lights up when it's active so maybe it disengages when the car is off?

... - this usually happened to me on winter time, when snow from boots melted and car floor carpet got wet. Water trying to evaporate and causing humidity, which causing steaming up of windows.....

Hadn't considered that possibility. Where I am the carpets usually freeze before the water evaporates. :(

Is that the one with the arrow swirling within the car graphic? If so, my car has a button that lights up when it's active so maybe it disengages when the car is off?
Yes, thats the one you have to switch off to allow air circulation to outside.

recirculate-air-symbol.jpg

Hadn't considered that possibility. Where I am the carpets usually freeze before the water evaporates. :(

some water evaporates, some freezes.

Yes, thats the one you have to switch off to allow air circulation to outside.

recirculate-air-symbol.jpg
I very rarely have it on... The only time I engage it is when I'm on the motorway and drive past some smelly fields lol. Yet I still get the steamed windows [emoji20]

If its manual airvent control , then there should be sign with arrow entering a car

blog-cooling.04.jpg

There are many causes. Depends on situations.
Some of them I already named what concerned me personally.

Many other causes and tips are here:

how to prevent car windows from fogging up

"Google is our big helping brother" ;)

In the UK at this time of year the only way to get rid of the condensation is to make sure there are no leaks letting the rain in (most cars have some minor ones) and then use something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00ELK8W8Cto absorb the remaining moisture before the car gets cold at night and the moisture in the warm air condenses on the cold windows.

If your getting one of those then make sure it is a rechargeable silica gel one - just stick it in the microwave once every few weeks, or every week in very damp weather, to get rid of the moisture it has absorbed and dry it out, although that makes your kitchen damp instead!

That one will absorb a litre of water before it needs recharging - see the user reviews!

In the UK at this time of year the only way to get rid of the condensation is to make sure there are no leaks letting the rain in (most cars have some minor ones) and then use something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00ELK8W8Cto absorb the remaining moisture before the car gets cold at night and the moisture in the warm air condenses on the cold windows.

If your getting one of those then make sure it is a rechargeable silica gel one - just stick it in the microwave once every few weeks, or every week in very damp weather, to get rid of the moisture it has absorbed and dry it out, although that makes your kitchen damp instead!

That one will absorb a litre of water before it needs recharging - see the user reviews!
This looks pretty cool! Does it HAVE to be very close to the windscreen to work effectively or can I just leave it on the seat or in the footwell? For a back window leaving it on the parcel shelf is no hassle

This looks pretty cool! Does it HAVE to be very close to the windscreen to work effectively or can I just leave it on the seat or in the footwell? For a back window leaving it on the parcel shelf is no hassle
Anywhere exposed to the same air as the windscreen - in the boot will dry the boot but take ages to dry the rest of the car. I have one clipped to the back of the headrest so that it has good air circulation, although it is a fair bit smaller than that one - they have grown in the last few years.

Not sure the parcel shelf is ideal, it might attack your head in a bad accident and it's heavy enough to give you a headache.

Reading the instructions on that page it suggests drying them on a radiator - doesn't really work, in the microwave is the way to do it until it stops steaming, or has lost 1Kg of weight due to the 1L of water evaporating.

Back