Looking for a 12V battery discharge prevention device

spaceballsrules

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
AGPtek GD26 > F70/i1000 > FineVu CR2000G > Mini 0906
I recently found out that the 12V cigarette socket hidden in my center console is actually on all the time, even with the ignition off. I have a FineVu CR2000G capable of parking mode, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a battery discharge prevention device that could plug into a 12V socket. I have found a few options online, but they all cut off at 10.5-11.6V, and that is way too much discharge for the battery IMO. I would much rather have a cut-off set somewhere between 12-12.5V, like may of the hardwired devices intended for dashcam use are capable of, such as the Blackvue Power Magic Pro or Multi Safer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Just buy the plug and solder the wires to the plug from a MultiSafer, then you're good to go. It doesn't need the ACC for function and can meassure voltage with only B+ and ground, connected - the same way you do in the 12V-cigarette connector.

And actually it's still able to do ACC / BAT-modes even though the ACC-wire isn't connected.

It simply does figure out the voltage below or above a certain threshold and behaves accordingly to the settings set by the user, either BAT or ACC-mode.

Found out then i needed to plug in the ACC but found i hadn't any available switched power as i first thought i had. So i read up on the manual, and sure thing... B+ and ground, let it do it's magic and voilá..

Well, the FineVu dashcam I have does not switch in and out of parking mode automatically anyway AFAIK, so this would work. It's weird, but you have to manually switch into and out of the parking mode.

Can all of the dashcam-specific voltage cutoff devices do this, or just the Multi Safer? If so, which one is the best to use? And what would be the best voltage setting for cutoff? I drive a Mazda CX-5.

As far as the wiring of the 12V plug, I would wire the constant power cable (BATT+) to the positive terminal inside the plug. Would I connect the ground wire (GND) to the negative terminal of the 12V plug, or do I connect it to a ground point inside the car?

Lastly, where can I find a quality 12V plug? I am always wary of buying stuff like that from unreputable eBay sellers and such.

Thanks.

Can all of the dashcam-specific voltage cutoff devices do this, or just the Multi Safer?
The BDP's like MotoPark PowerSafer / FineSafer, does not switch the camera into parkingmode. It simply senses what voltage the battery delivers and sets timer and/or cutoff level as the point of shutoff for the camera.
Some cameras have an auto function for sensing when to switch to parking mode, that is set by the battery power. The camera, in other words, senses when the voltage drops from above set threshold to around 12V and goes into Parking Mode that way.

If so, which one is the best to use? And what would be the best voltage setting for cutoff? I drive a Mazda CX-5.
I'd advise you to not go below 12.0V at summertime when outside temp is above 5-6C° / 41°F. In wintertime, my cut-off is set to 12.4V.

As far as the wiring of the 12V plug, I would wire the constant power cable (BATT+) to the positive terminal inside the plug. Would I connect the ground wire (GND) to the negative terminal of the 12V plug, or do I connect it to a ground point inside the car?
Correct, the negative / ground will be connected to the negative terminal of the plug, not the inside of the car.

Lastly, where can I find a quality 12V plug? I am always wary of buying stuff like that from unreputable eBay sellers and such.
I found one in a Wallmart-store, that would be easy to connect the wires to. But you can also buy a "DIY"-plug which is farely common on ebay,
Links below:

WallMart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-Accessory-Plug/29029309
or
Ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122624769651
The Ebay-link is from a seller in China. My ebay.com is currently not working very well, but the same product can be found in the States, just be sure to go with the same model as there seems to be sold a model that is a bit different than the one above, and that, really is a piece of garbage, to be fair.

The one you should avoid is this kind:
http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/9LAAAOSw4CFYyTrR/s-l225.jpg

That plug from Walmart looks perfect. Cheap and easy to work with.

Any recommendations for the BDP device. The only one I can find that is reasonably priced is the Blackvue Black Magic Pro on Amazon for $23.49. Everything else is either unavailable or costs $40.

A _lot_ of reviews don't recommend going the Blackvue Power Magic Pro due to the voltage-settings, it simply doesn't detect the voltage in a fine pattern enough to cutoff at designated voltage. Often it will cut below at 0.4V that was set. Example: Cutoff point: 12.4 = 12.0 and so on.. .

Go with the FineVu Multi Safer (amazon and ebay is your friend here, can be found around USD25) and also at BBMC:
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/multi_safer_hardwiring_kit
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/multi-safer-vs-power-magic-pro

It's formerly known as MotoPark Power Safer - but got a rebrand, so now the name is as stated above, however, same product. No difference in terms of functionality, the MotoPark can sometimes be a bit cheaper, than the FineVu, i'm not sure as to why, i just think of it as they need to empty the old stock of PS-units. :)

Btw, i DO recommend the FineVu due to my experience with the product, i'm currently using it myself, and have been for 4 months straight now.

My car is parked for 12hrs+ in the weekends, and the camera is set to cutoff at 12.0V (summertime) and infinity time, and that gets me a solid 23Hrs of ON-time on a 10 year old 80Ah battery.

The power meassured on the fusetap to the camera is at 11.95/11.96-ish volts, when i returned to the car, some hours later. So, quite precise!

Last edited:
Vico-Power PLUS is my personal favorite for battery discharge prevention.

Twice the price, but oh so nice. I will add that to the list, along with the BMP and Multi Safer. Thanks.

Back