How do I prevent windows steaming up?

I have wind deflectors fitted to both front doors. This allows me to leave my windows slightly open for a crossdraught - but I still get condensation. Even running the heat on maximum to really drive out the moisture doesn't help & neither does running with the aircon on full (aircon normally dries out the air.

We have high humidity (90%+) here in Vancouver, especially through the fall/winter/spring, as we can go a month with continuous rain. Currently, after a week of cold/dry weather, the humidity is 87% (as recorded at the airport).

Lessons from Vancouver:
-Fix any window/seal leaks
-Fix sunroof leaks
-Always (*always*) ensure that the ventilation fan is turned on, and is drawing fresh air from outside
-Only used recirculated air in a tunnel, or when behind a smoky car! Then open up the fresh air again.
-If it's wet for a period of time, use the window defogger with A/C (on many cars, the AC turns on automatically when the defogger is on).
-Ensure the AC drain pipe is clear.
-Replace the cabin air filter every year (and vacuum up the leaves!)
-If you've been using the defogger with AC, keep doing so until you get a week of dry weather.
-I have a rubber floor mat that I set on the driver's carpet. This way my wet shoes drip onto the rubber, where the water evaporates more slowly.

My silica bags just arrived. Pretty hefty things!

3b5cb61a6e9254b89857727deb9e1f33.jpg

My silica bags just arrived. Pretty hefty things!
Even more hefty once they have adsorbed a kg of water ;) - like I said, a bit unsafe for the parcel shelf.

Before use, weigh them on the kitchen scales so you know their dry weight, then you can always check how much water is in them - 1 litre weighs 1kg - and when you recharge them you will know when they have fully recharged. The moisture meter they come with is only useful as a rough guide, the weight is precise.

Even more hefty once they have adsorbed a kg of water ;) - like I said, a bit unsafe for the parcel shelf.

Before use, weigh them on the kitchen scales so you know their dry weight, then you can always check how much water is in them - 1 litre weighs 1kg - and when you recharge them you will know when they have fully recharged. The moisture meter they come with is only useful as a rough guide, the weight is precise.
Thanks for the advice! Am I supposed to empty the bags to dry them in the microwave or can I do it in the bags?

Thanks for the advice! Am I supposed to empty the bags to dry them in the microwave or can I do it in the bags?
Don't know, what do the instructions say?

With mine, which are a different make, I just put them in as they are, put the microwave on low and give it half an hour. These are bigger though so I guess they may be OK with high, especially if you dry both at the same time. After a minute or two they will start to steam, I normally stop a little before they are completely dry as you are not supposed to use a microwave without any water in it - where does the energy go?

Some of the instructions say to put them in a conventional oven at 120C - this is a bad idea unless you have a professional oven that can keep the temperature within about 1 degree since a little too high and you will damage the silica and probably melt the plastic and a little too low wont get rid of the moisture, the microwave does it safely.

Don't know, what do the instructions say?

With mine, which are a different make, I just put them in as they are, put the microwave on low and give it half an hour. These are bigger though so I guess they may be OK with high, especially if you dry both at the same time. After a minute or two they will start to steam, I normally stop a little before they are completely dry as you are not supposed to use a microwave without any water in it - where does the energy go?

Some of the instructions say to put them in a conventional oven at 120C - this is a bad idea unless you have a professional oven that can keep the temperature with about 1 degree since a little too high and you will damage the silica and a little too low wont get rid of the moisture, the microwave does it safely.
0ebe64458456f7a58b1f6efd6897936e.jpg

The outer mesh bags have a built on handle, so I've just lifted out one of the rear headrests and attached it to there to stop it flying around on the parcel shelf. I've put the other one in the front passenger footwell
94d4d83db914bdbf721ea16be38ca709.jpg

Once they been working for a week or so and have gained some weight, stick one in the microwave as it is and see what happens. Weigh it before and after so you know if it has worked. I expect that will work well, then let us all know the result...

You really don't want to get the beads out of the bag - they are hard to control!

When this happens in our TOYOTA seinna van it means it's time to change the cabin air filter that's sitting behind the glove box.

My car air cabin filter is only 1y old. Dont think its need changing yet, but just in case will check it also.

"Bags" arrived today. Will see over few weeks how they perform, because I need clear windows for 24 / 7 parking mode rec.

IMG_20141125_104551.jpg

IMG_20141125_104456.jpg

IMG_20141125_104416.jpg

IMG_20141125_104333.jpg

Heater core needs to be replaced...

Back