How do you connect the Mobius to the car's ignition?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Earlier, I asked how to connect the Mobius to the fuse box and I was given very helpful answers.

However, after thinking about it a little bit, I realized that connecting it to my car's ignition might be a better option-- namely, because the shop that I had install my reverse view mirror hooked it up to the ignition (so the screen pops up when the car is in reverse and only reverse). I figure that if they're able to install it to where the mirror would only work on reverse, that the Mobius could work if the car was in the "accessory" position or higher (essentially, as long as the key was turned on).

I was told to buy this when connecting to the fuse box, but what would I purchase to connect to the car's ignition (or is this not a good idea?)--would that cable also suffice?

My main concern with doing a permanent installation like this is that if the cables fail, I'll have no way of being able to rectify the situation myself. I will once again have to pay a shop to take it apart for me and install the new cables. The current setup I have has a USB cable running along the headliner up and around the passenger side of the car, but that seems impossible to actually keep in place hidden--the cable just keeps dropping out from the headliner!

Last edited by a moderator:
if you aren't capable of doing it yourself then you have no choice to get a shop to do it. once hard wired there is little chance of it failing, the cables any way. as long as the connector is there for the camera to be plugged into where the camera is then you got no worries.

if you aren't capable of doing it yourself then you have no choice to get a shop to do it. once hard wired there is little chance of it failing, the cables any way. as long as the connector is there for the camera to be plugged into where the camera is then you got no worries.

Definitely; I know that I can't do it myself, so I would have them do it. I'm just concerned that if I pay them $50-80 (I assume this is how much they'll charge me), that faulty cables are the reason why I might need to go back and pay them again to install new ones.

Do you have a brand or a kit that you would suggest? I'm not even sure which cables need to be purchased the Mobius.

If it makes any difference, I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE.

if you don't know what to get, then goto the shop who you get to install, get them to supply a suitable one for the camera, then if it stuffs up its under warranty they will have to do it no charge. if you get the wiring for them to install and it stuffs up then you have to pay them to fit new wiring as you supplied it not them.

What I did was to tap into the wires that feed the cigarette lighter, they are only powered when the ignition is on, from those wires I went into the 12v to 5v adapter, to the Mobius..

I have 4 Mobius cams running in this manner, and everything is working perfectly.

The cigarette lighter is protected by a 20 amp fuse, and each 12v to 5 v adapter, has its own 2a fuse inline...

This I found to be the easiest way to wire the cams.

Earlier, I asked how to connect the Mobius to the fuse box and I was given very helpful answers.

However, after thinking about it a little bit, I realized that connecting it to my car's ignition might be a better option-- namely, because the shop that I had install my reverse view mirror hooked it up to the ignition (so the screen pops up when the car is in reverse and only reverse). I figure that if they're able to install it to where the mirror would only work on reverse, that the Mobius could work if the car was in the "accessory" position or higher (essentially, as long as the key was turned on).

I was told to buy this when connecting to the fuse box, but what would I purchase to connect to the car's ignition (or is this not a good idea?)--would that cable also suffice?

My main concern with doing a permanent installation like this is that if the cables fail, I'll have no way of being able to rectify the situation myself. I will once again have to pay a shop to take it apart for me and install the new cables. The current setup I have has a USB cable running along the headliner up and around the passenger side of the car, but that seems impossible to actually keep in place hidden--the cable just keeps dropping out from the headliner!

You can see here how i connected my car camera:
http://wp.me/p4lrsF-2F

Thanks! I checked out the link; looks like you went through the cigarette lighter. If I wanted to go with the fuse box route, do you have any suggestions? I made a post here with my thoughts--do you mind taking a look?

Back