How does a dashcam calibrate its ADAS?

cshong

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I ask this question just for knowledge purpose.

Many dashcam has built-in ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System.

Consider the following scenarios:

1. The position of the dashcam may not be exactly center of the windscreen. It may be slightly left or slightly right to the center of the windscreen. When this happened, even if the car is at exactly the center of the lane, and even if the distance between the car and lane lines are equal, the dashcam may see that one lane line is nearer to the vehicle, and another lane line is more far.
  2. Depends on the vehicle. The dashcam may not be able to detect the front chassis of the vehicle which the dashcam installed on.
  3. Some newer vehicles have built-in ADAS. Even so, the owner may still install dashcam with ADAS feature. The dashcam may be installed on the left side, right side, or below the vehicle’s built-in ADAS camera. If the installer install the dashcam to the left or right side of the vehicle’s ADAS camera, the dashcam will not be located at the center of the windscreen.
In these scenarios, how the dashcam be able to correctly calibrate its lane departure warning system, and other systems of its ADAS?

In these scenarios, how the dashcam be able to correctly calibrate its lane departure warning system, and other systems of its ADAS?
Simple, it can't. ADAS when designed for and built into a specific vehicle is marginally effective in the best of cases. When it's in an accessory product like a dash cam it's more marketing than anything else to make potential customers think they're getting something good when they really aren't.

Simple, it can't. ADAS when designed for and built into a specific vehicle is marginally effective in the best of cases. When it's in an accessory product like a dash cam it's more marketing than anything else to make potential customers think they're getting something good when they really aren't.
I have a dashcam with ADAS feature. My car also has built-in ADAS.

I had enabled front vehicle departure alert in both my car's ADAS and the dashcam's settings. To my surprise, my dashcam's ADAS outperform my car's ADAS in this. My dashcam more sensitive than my car's ADAS. As soon as the vehicle in front of my car started moving, my dashcam notify me, but my car's ADAS system act just like nothing happened.

Of course, sometimes, when there is vehicle in front of my car, and I reverse my car, my dashcam produce false alert, falsely detect the moving of the vehicle in front. But, I am willing to accept this little false alert, as long as it effectively tell me the front vehicle is moving.

It might be too sensitive in some instances but ADAS works well in others. In my car, lane departure works well until its sunset in which case it gets giddy and tries throwing me back. Autonomous emergency braking works pretty well though on slamming on the brakes.

On dashcam I agree ADAS isn't the best though

1. The position of the dashcam may not be exactly center of the windscreen. It may be slightly left or slightly right to the center of the windscreen. When this happened, even if the car is at exactly the center of the lane, and even if the distance between the car and lane lines are equal, the dashcam may see that one lane line is nearer to the vehicle, and another lane line is more far.
  2. Depends on the vehicle. The dashcam may not be able to detect the front chassis of the vehicle which the dashcam installed on.
  3. Some newer vehicles have built-in ADAS. Even so, the owner may still install dashcam with ADAS feature. The dashcam may be installed on the left side, right side, or below the vehicle’s built-in ADAS camera. If the installer install the dashcam to the left or right side of the vehicle’s ADAS camera, the dashcam will not be located at the center of the windscreen.
Welcome to the club.
Please forgive my brutish, and possibly rude question.
Why don’t you just pay attention, and operate your vehicle yourself rather than rely on electronic notifications?
When the system malfunctions, and you find yourself being prosecuted you will not be able to blame ADAS in your dash cam, or car.
At least not yet, (A.I. Johnnie Cochran Esq.) lol
-Chuck

Agie: OK, Boomer
Chuck: Not a Boomer, I’m Gen X

Welcome to the club.
Why don’t you just pay attention, and operate your vehicle yourself rather than rely on electronic notifications?
When the system malfunctions, and you find yourself being prosecuted you will not be able to blame ADAS in your dash cam, or car.
-Chuck

This is not related to paying attention or not. I just want to learn knowledge. I want to understand how the technology works.

Welcome to the club.
-Chuck

I pay attention alright but things like autonomous emergency braking have nothing to do with me and you can't switch it off. It is handy and brakes faster and harder than I can that's for sure. I'm saying that there's some genuinely useful ADAS and some fundamentally useless.

And yes, 15 years ago got my driver's licence for first time and learned and owned a 1990 Nissan Pulsar. No power steering, manual transmission. I know the ropes.

Get back to me when you've used a car or have a car with such technology for at least a month haha

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.
-Chuck

Of course we have to pay attention while driving.

But, paying attention does not mean I have to stop learning.

As a programmer, I am very interested to learn new technologies and how they work. These knowledge very important to me.

Of course we have to pay attention while driving.

But, paying attention does not mean I have to stop learning.

As a programmer, I am very interested to learn new technologies and how they work. These knowledge very important to me.

This video might offer some of what you want to know. Basically, ADAS in dash cams is very minimal and unsophisticated when compared to the complex systems built into cars so it tends to not work well and be more annoying than useful and this is why people usually turn it off.

Are you a retailer, or representative of a manufacturer?
If so, pursuant to forum rule #6 you must notify @DashCamMan and he will upgrade your rank;
If you are performing market research that is totally fine, and we would love to help you improve / develop your product.

Subset of safety features (Go Alert, Forward Collision Warning System and Lane Departure Warning System) works pretty well on Garmin's dash cams under most circumstances. It can be annoying in stop and go traffic though.

It waits until you are traveling at around 60Km/h, then watches which bits of the image are moving in which direction. The bit at the bottom which is not moving is your dash and hood, the bit beyond, moving towards the car, is the road, the bit at the top moving upwards is above the horizon, the bit left of centre will be moving left, the bit right of centre will be moving right. So from that you can work out the perspective vanishing point and calculate the position of the lane edges, and calculate the position of the front of the hood. That is all that is needed for lane change and car ahead departing.

Some of the older dashcams require manual calibration, with you setting the position of the front of your car, but they never worked very well.

It waits until you are traveling at around 60Km/h, then watches which bits of the image are moving in which direction. The bit at the bottom which is not moving is your dash and hood, the bit beyond, moving towards the car, is the road, the bit at the top moving upwards is above the horizon, the bit left of centre will be moving left, the bit right of centre will be moving right. So from that you can work out the perspective vanishing point and calculate the position of the lane edges, and calculate the position of the front of the hood. That is all that is needed for lane change and car ahead departing.

Some of the older dashcams require manual calibration, with you setting the position of the front of your car, but they never worked very well.
Seemed to me like a gimmick on dashcams, much better when it's natively fitted to a car of course not fool proof but getting better with each iteration.

Seemed to me like a gimmick on dashcams, much better when it's natively fitted to a car of course not fool proof but getting better with each iteration.
The only ADAS feature I've found remotely useful on dashcams is the pedestrian warning. I've always seen the pedestrians before it does, but it does remind you to take care.

The bike warning is also good when there is a bike misbehaving, but if I am following a motorbike, I don't want to be reminded of that fact every 50 meters!

Lane change warnings are only for people who concentrate on their phone while driving!

The only ADAS feature I've found remotely useful on dashcams is the pedestrian warning. I've always seen the pedestrians before it does, but it does remind you to take care.

The bike warning is also good when there is a bike misbehaving, but if I am following a motorbike, I don't want to be reminded of that fact every 50 meters!

Lane change warnings are only for people who concentrate on their phone while driving!
Annoying for pedestrian and cyclist alerts for sure.

Lane assist I agree isn't necessary, I have it on my car but it's always turned on by default when starting the car (can't turn that off). And sunrise and sunset its tripped up so always tries to throw me into the other lane. Always find myself reaching for the button to turn it off

Autonomous emergency braking I've found useful because it brakes harder than what I would have. Sensitivity is pretty good 95% of the time I've found. Even if you mash the pedal it overrides it and goes full force on the braking itself.

Overall some ADAS handy, a lot useless. Blind spot monitoring is helpful, but things like rear occupant exit alert is just clutching at straws, when whoever's exiting the back door seats can just look out to see if they're going to hit another car or object with their door opening lol.

Back